Monday, July 27, 2020

Spruce Up Monday-Pampering

     


     I already know this week will be extremely busy and stressful for work. Every parent of a school age child, teacher,  education professional, and employers are on pins and needles waiting to hear what  is decided about school come fall. Hold your opinions on that-not the point of this post, only to set the stage for why more than ever I want to invest in a little personal care. Most of this post is about my Sunday night pamper. DD2 actually got off work close to when she was scheduled so we  donned a few face masks, popped some popcorn and watched a little television together. Earlier in the evening, I spent a few minute filing my finger nails, but no polish.

      Last night I tried as long as I could to keep cotton socks on my feet while I let this foot mask do what it is supposed to do. My feet are in rough shape-dry and callused, but they do feel better today. After this post hits publish, I'm going to put a layer of polish on my toes.



     For outside spruce up, the porch needs a good cob web and debris sweeping again. The weeds are poking through the rocks. It does make a difference in how pleasant it is to sit and work from the porch when it is neat and tidy. and it really takes just a few minutes. I still have not found anything suitable for a table for between the chairs, but I'd rather not spend anything now either. If and when, hopefully next spring we redo the patio, the plan will be to budget new or new to us furniture. The small table that is on the deck might be used on the porch. Until then, I use the railing to hold my coffee or water cup. Since working at home has no end in sight, keeping the porch neat is a priority. I'm keeping my eye out for when the fall plants will start coming like mums, and add to the geraniums, which still look pretty good. Next year, no hanging basket, but I'll upscycle the current basket and just plant loose geraniums like I have in the  grounded pot. While a little beat up because of the hard weekend rain, it is lush and green and still has the vibrant pink flowers, with more buds still coming. The two little 4 inch pots that I spent a total of $7 was a bargain! 

     For my insides, I'll spruce them up with loads of healthy meals this week-lots of fruit and vegetables that I bought this weekend, locally grown. I'm back taking the Vitamin D. Even with the natural source of the sun, I was feeling quite sluggish again, so back to a daily does it is. I haven't had even a minor throat episode since my July 6th incident that landed me in the ED, so happy the new dose seems to be doing what it is supposed to. I also have backed of pork products, as potentially a link to the events and meals with pork. I'll reintroduce at the end of August and see if that might have been an allergy factor. 

     For a long time, four months, I have not really done much for my outer appearance and arguably, not so well on my inner appearance. Monday is a good day to act on the visual things that will help me feel ready to face the week. Maybe by next week I can share that I've actually gotten a hair cut. 


18 comments:

  1. Oh, I like your idea of the Sunday Night pamper. We need to do that here.

    It is much nicer to sit on the porch when it is clean here too. I work on that on a regular basis. Of course, right now,it's really humid here, but the mornings are cool, which is nice.

    Your geraniums sound beautiful being all lush and green.

    Interesting on the possible pork allergy. My daughter has a fruit/vegetable pollen allergy. We have to be careful which ones she can eat raw. Cooking them kills the enzyme that creates the allergy. I'm glad you've not had any more issues with your throat.

    I take Vitamin D with calcium each day along with a probiotic. Getting sunshine is another great way to get that vitamin D in. I'm less tired when my vitamin D level is up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few times 've been on the mega dose of D where you take one 50,000 of whatever the unit is once a week for eight weeks, then go back to the 1,000 a day does. I ca't think of anything other than pork that coincided with episodes, but I should have done a better job logging. I do now, even just the heartburn.

      Delete
  2. My low Vitamin D was not caused by lack of sunlight. It was so low the doctor was surprised. I choke most often of chicken and rice cooked together, and i am not allergic to either. My choking is caused by narrowing of esophagus caused by things i am allergic to. (that preposition is just going to sit there!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the same description on my throat, but what the allergent is is the question.

      Delete
  3. Love the papmering idea! For me, I have the most energy when 1) I'm getting lots of quality sleep 2) I'm exercising enough 3) I take B12 4) eating well. It's a balance getting all of that in, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read so many people that are taking B12 but it has never come up as a suggested supplement. I would hate to just start taking more as I do take a multi vitamin. I may ask at my next appointment.

      Delete
  4. Good for you! It’s the little things that really make life seem more fulfilling. The greys in my hair were getting to me so I took care of them on Friday. I should probably paint my toenails as well. It s been over a month since we splurged in pedis for my daughter’s sweet 16. I haven’t let my hair get this long in years but I kinda like it and the length makes it easy to put up since I tend to sweat more wearing a mask and especially at work. I also agree about keeping the backyard tidy but it’s such a battle! I refuse to use weed killer so I spend a lot of time pulling weeds. The grass however is totally toasted. There’s a box elder tree in my neighbors yard and it’s constantly losing its leaves into my yard, such a messy nasty thing. We also got a load of firewood from my dad’s and right now it looks ugly too lol. But it’s still hot and I’m working goofy hours again and graduation is finally happening this week, barring a disaster. I’m just busy and feel like I’m spinning my wheels and not gaining any ground with projects. Such is life! JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't even talk about my back yard jungle-Coe Fall we have a lot to do to prepare for summer. I'd love to hear more about how graduation will happen.

      Delete
  5. I like your idea of a pamper night. I've definitely let things slide in that department during lockdown, so I'll make a start by polishing my nails too. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grays are back in my roots=after just six weeks, but I went a slightly more brown/less blond color so that might be why they are showing sooner. I'd like to at least get to 8 weeks, so another week and 1/2.

      Delete
  6. I saw this "recipe" on FB for a pedicure and have been doing it once a week for years now and it really works. In a bowl put 2 cups white vinegar, 2 cups mouth wash (makes your feet lovely and fresh) and 4 cups hot water and soak your feet for 20 minutes. You can then do a full pedicure (I use a Scholl foot razor too) and your feet are lovely and refreshed. Of course in the summer your feet take more of a hammering but once a week seems to do it for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen that recipe and should give it a try. Since I'm not out and about,my feet aren't quite as bad as other years, but still get that rough look and feel.

      Delete
  7. Holding my opinion, but I constantly remind myself that the teachers are more rattled than anybody.
    I can't remember the last time I polished my nails!
    My pampering consisted of a neighbor bringing over some homemade raspberry tarts, made from raspberries from their garden. Today, I am going to spend a bit of the afternoon pouring candles, and drop them off at her place! There is nothing quite like the smell of beeswax to lift the household's spirits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having anywhere from 13-30 kids from that many households for 6 hours a day in an enclosed space, those same households with members that might be coming in contact with X number of positive folks, would have me rattled as well. I had a neighbor bring me cucumbers-that was a treat as well.

      Delete
  8. Your pamper night sounds wonderful, I bet you felt so much better afterwards. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took a little chapter form your book. I am running low on masks though so will need to include in a future order.

      Delete
  9. lovely idea to have some pampering - its a good stress relief. I've been doing a home face mask each weekend the last few weeks, then I lie down and listen to some relaxing music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My face just soaks it up, despite moisturizing. I guess it is the age I am.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.