Sunday, July 26, 2020

Another Week of Straying-Meal Ideas for the Week

     I can't honestly say I won't have any ore spending for the month, but we should be darn close to the end. In the last week, I stopped at Kwik Trip, a roadside stand, and Aldi as well as DD2 getting a Jimmy Johns sandwich to eat between her book club meet-up and work. Yes, she could have just packed a lunch and saved the money, but She was running late and I ordered on line for her to just do the grab and go contactless option. I should not need to go to the store again until August. I believe my total for household, personal, groceries, and take out was $659. Ouch! This includes some stocking up on paper towels and toilet paper. I could say I won't need either for several months, but I think I'll continue to get at least what we use replaced. I'm trying to do that with some of my canned goods as well. I'm not panic buying, but trying to have a reasonable stock pile of frequently used items. This is to say, I have no self imposed tight budget challenges. I am feeling enough stress about health and wellness, the economy, and work to add even fun for me stress. What we spend is just what we will spend, and I'll look at my overall lifestyle to be thrifty.

     As for meal planning, I at least try and come up with ideas for meals so if we are truly stuck, I can look back and see what I was thinking. Other than DD2' sandwich, we didn't do any take out in the last week. Here was my possibles for last week.
  •  Sausage apple and cheese balls using plain Aldi sausage instead of Jimmy Dean 1/2 recipe, sweet potato fries, and roasted vegetables
  • Homemade Gen Tso chicken, rice, roasted vegetables 
  • Chicken Cordon Bleu, potato wedges, and steamed vegetables 
  • Rotini pasta with meat sauce 
  • Chicken and vegetable stir fry and rice and ramen, salad 
  • Chicken and rice hotdish with broccoli and cheese 
  • Penne pasta with chicken and Alfredo sauce 
  • Tika masala with rice-homemade chicken strips and rice for DH 
  • Homemade pizza with vegetables and sausage 
  • Turkey meatloaf, mashed potatoes, steamed carrots
Sunday: Oven baked chicken, ramen, and roasted vegetables
Monday: Hamburger and mushroom gravy over mashed potatos
Tuesday: Tika Masala with rice, DH had two patties with rice and vegetables
Wednesday: Chicken Cordon Bleu and wild rice
Thursday: Penne pasta and meat sauce
Friday:Chicken sandwich, DD2, Cheddarwurst DH, Potato wedges and fruit all
Saturday: Gyros with tomato and onions

     Having so little from my list last week, leaves lot s of ideas for this week. We'll have corn on the cob, watermelon, cucumber salad, and other fresh produce items throughout the week as well so I didn't add those. I have three nice zucchini and I may shredd and try a recipe for a mock zuchini fritter/slider type burger like Ruby Tuesday used to make. Sadly none are around us any more. The girls had them in France and they had a very similar taste, and were called zucchini flowers. 

  •  Sausage apple and cheese balls using plain Aldi sausage instead of Jimmy Dean 1/2 recipe, sweet potato fries, and 
  • Homemade Gen Tso chicken, rice
  • Chicken and vegetable stir fry and rice and ramen
  • Chicken and rice hotdish with broccoli and cheese 
  • Penne pasta with chicken and Alfredo sauce 
  • Homemade pizza with vegetables and sausage 
  • Turkey meatloaf, mashed potatoes
  • Burritos or burrito bowls
  • Petit sirloins, baked potatoes
     The petit sirloin was a bargain splurge. We have had them before, little 5 ounce steaks from Kwik Trip, that are very tender and tasty. At 3/$5 certainly not cheap at over $5.33 a pound compared to ground beef, pork, or chicken, but I thought DH might appreciate the change. Liley he'll eat two and DD2 and I, neither big steak eaters, will share one. What's coming out of your kitchen this last week of July? Those of you with gardens, are you making the most of your produce? Like me, are there any roadside stand shoppers?

12 comments:

  1. We have a Ruby Tuesday in Chattanooga, so not too far away. I do like their salad bar. I've not seen the recipe for the sausage, apple and cheese balls before. How interesting and I like Granny Smith apples. They are good with cheddar cheese. Reading your menu is making me hungry. I'm making Tacos for dinner tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We loved going to RT and having the salad bar, then an entree, which meant leftovers. If and when life resumes, I will stop at one if I can find one again. My sister makes the sausage balls, but without apple. I think the apple adds a nice flavor and texture.

      Delete
  2. I had an unusual week but things should be back to normal now. I have lots of eggs and want to use as many as I can this week and then suspend delivery for a couple of weeks. So I'm making a Denver omelet today from a recipe I found online and also angel food cupcakes. I don't mind using the oven since I have central air and my bill is never over $100. You had a good week and your menu choices look great. I make zuchinni cakes a lot- egg, a little flour and some shredded Parmesan cheese. You can even use your air fryer but I usually fry in a bit of oil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I might go ahead and make a big batch if I get more of the zucchini, then use the air fryer to reheat leftovers.

      Delete
  3. I absolutely love Ruby Tuesday! I got there for the salad...lol. I order chicken tenders and a baked potato and salad bar. But, it will be at least a year before I go there again. I use the piddling bit from my garden and use produce stands along with the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WE had three of them near us as little as five years ago, now all are gone. Yet, Applebee's pop up everywhere.

      Delete
  4. I have not been keeping track of grocery spending this month, but we have eaten so much out of the garden and we eat a lot of eggs. Just too much going on. But I can see why you want to cut back. It is just so easy to spend money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like we are starting to waste as well-and I was doing so well in MArch, April, and May. That needs reigning in as much as the spending. We've had ess eggs lately-I think hubs finally had his fill after months of not keeping enough in the house.

      Delete
  5. only today I made - of all thing! - egg salad. I had 6 to 8 old eggs to deal with. I found a splendid recipe with potatoes, apples, and celery; it was very good. I ate it with relish - which was not in the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a combination of egg salad,like for sandwiches, and potato salad. I'd love it.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for sharing the recipe for the cheese balls. While Son3 and DIL3 ar here I am not doing keto. These sound delicious so I might have to give it a try.
    If I did not stray from my menu plan we would not eat. A lot of days I am just not feeling what was planned.
    I am using everything we have gotten so far from our garden and am planting another crop of beans and additional squash, just no more blasted zucchini!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen a lot of posts for a soy and ginger type bean-have you seen any of those. Our local Chinese restaurant has them and they are so good.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.