Thursday, August 13, 2020

Thrifty Thursday-Has it Been a Whole Week? Edition

     I feel like I blinked and the calendar jumped from last Thursday's post to this weeks. Maybe because I actually did something over the weekend. Maybe because it is now less than two weeks before we move our daughter back to school, or that my work days are such a blur I can hardly keep up, but August is speeding by. It was not a frugal week for money and today we plan to pay  college tuition, room, and board, so not a Thrifty Thursday either. I chalk college into long term investment as for her choice of field, she will need a degree or two. Here's where I tried to be economical and make as good a use as possible with time, resources, and money. 


Time 

  • Despite the long drive, going to see the sunflower fields with my daughter and her friend was a great way to spend a Saturday. I got to know her friend a bit as well. It was a large space with ample room for people to keep well more than  six feet apart, and  people were very cooperative around the photo op spots. One family had a little baby wearing a sunflower dress. It was so adorable and I bet they got a terrific picture. 
  • We had a nice night celebrating DH's birthday. Despite my hectic day, I did make a nice meal, wth Dairy Queen providing the desert, which actually made my youngest as happy as her dad. 
Resources
  • I shared my use it up fruit quick bread yesterday, with the last of the yogurt from a tub, and over ripe strawberries and bananas. In all honesty, they originally were intending to be more a biscuit or scone, but I added more milk than intended, so just went ahead and added a bit more for muffin consistency. 
  • Making goulash on Sunday, I wasn't sure of how many  noodles would be needed for the sauce so cooked the whole box of penne. I had about 1/3 left over. I made mac and cheese on Monday with them for lunch. 
  • Speaking of the goulash, it felt like it was missing a little something, so I added more seasonings and it then was a bit too overpowering. I had the last of a brick of cream cheese nearing past prime, and put a couple tablespoons in. That not only mellowed down the herbs, it added some creaminess to the hotdish. 
Money

  • Not a huge savings, but Aldi had large clear top latching bins for $6.99 which are $2.00 cheaper than I have seen at Target or Walmart. Plus I saved myself another trip. DD2 is not lofting her bed, but is raising it so will have storage space underneath. The clear plastic will help her know what is in the bin, hopefully keeping her a bit more organized. 
  • I picked up DD2 three packs of stickers at the Dollar Tree. It was a bargain for the mileage the simple stickers have in making a day go better with her kids at the school. I also passed on to her  some Dr Seuss pencils and erasers to give to the kids, bought years ago for pennies. 
  • While I spent $44 on dinner and desert for DH's birthday, it was still likely 1/3 to 1/2 less than if we would have picked up take out. For your reference, No Name brand salmon was worth the price for the convenience. The No Name bacon wrapped stuffed chicken, not so much. The chicken was dry, and the filling was gloopy. 
  • There were some vegan and organic cereals at the local grocery on clearance. I grabbed two boxes of  peanut butter granola, one for us and one for DD1, and a  nutty cereal for her. We love granola on yogurt. She thought it would make a good snack for her road trip in another week to Yellowstone with the sunflower friend after their Banff trip to Canada was cancelled. $4.00 for three boxes of cereal that regularly were over $4.00 a box was a bargain. So many cereals like this have honey, so finding completely vegan at that price was a win.
     Of course we saved money not going to the family dinner. My sister made desert to serve at her house, but it was after 7:00, my knee was acting up so we just stayed home. I feel like I am denying myself a lot of interaction, even in environments I have more control. My BIL saw DH at his work on Monday and didn't understand why we chose not to go. Some days I think DH thinks I'm being overly cautious as well, but he isn't in meetings all day long where risk mitigation is the primary topic. Fortunately, my small circle of places I have to go, how quick I can get in and out-even large grocery shopping, and now with the mask requirement, I feel relatively safe. Eating out inside a restaurant and being indoors for more than a few minutes with unmasked people outside of my immediate family is out of my comfort zone. Weekend weather looks good so both the baby shower and the little celebration for my MIL's 80th birthday can be outside. 

     My household, grocery, and take out spending is already pretty high as you will see tomorrow if you read my spending log. Still, with lumping it all into one category, it is comparable to when we ate out a few times per month. Entertainment is pretty much the minimal gas to get to outdoor places, and streaming services. My daughter paid the $20 fee for the fields and wouldn't accept any money. There were no surveys for me to take this week, but I am close to another $5.00 reward for Microsoft. I'm at $50 currently in Target gift cards earned. How about you all? Did you have any thrifty wins? Did you find interesting and good uses for your time? How about creative use of things you already have? 

10 comments:

  1. I think I'm so cautious also because I know so many folks and group homes with the virus- it isn't good; one man died but he did have health issues. I'm old, overweight and have high blood pressure so right in the worse category. I decided against going to Aldi- I just prefer staying in my little cocoon and don't get too bored since I am on the phone a lot. Yesterday I must have had 15 phone calls.I love to read so that's my pleasure since I have pretty much given up baking which I love to do drat it. Does your college daughter have her own car? GS plans on bringing his if he gets to live in the dorm. He has such high hopes- also was selected for the band but will there be any football games? So much uncertainty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our daughter has a car available to her to use, LOL, because it is our car. We haven't decided if she is taking it or not. Unless she does an internship or a volunteer commitment that takes her far off campus, she doesn't really need one. There is a bus service, though not that reliable, but even a grocery store is walking distance, and she without movie theaters, all her social circle will be on campus. and sh eplans to just work in the the dining services again as it was OK money, convenient shifts, and if she takes four hours shifts, she gets an extra meal which ensures she'll have more than enough swipes with her lower plan, saving us money. As Ive shred, she is in the choir at a school with an internationally known program, and no big Christmas concert this year and no touring, at least not first semester. She doesn't know how it will work. She also is in an orchestra ensemble, more for fun, but again, not sure what the protocol will be with social distancing.

      Delete
  2. No big wins, and eBay sales were very slow. But, continued to list items, continued to make meals at home. So, we're making slow & steady progress. I'm continuing to go through my closet, as I know I'll be WFH for the next year & that has a big impact on what I'll be wearing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will be in chaos for the next 10 days or so as we try and get our daughter repacked and moved. Tehn, I hope to do a complete overhaul, taking things room by room and that will fill up the time element of my life! How much coser are you to the kitchen finish?

      Delete
  3. Those sunflower fields are so beautiful, Sam. Is your Microsoft Rewards only offering 1 point per search? Mine has been and has been for a while now. I wish it would go back to 5 points per search.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thinkI'm getting five poitns per search, but only up to 150 points. Plus, there is aglitch where it will say I missed a day, so starts my streaks again, so I miss out on some of the big bonus points, evn though I can see that my points went up. Annoying, but I treat as a little game that occasiollay gives me a gift card.

      Delete
  4. Not in regards to meals, but I did find a creative use for things I already have. I am making both a beloved friend, and Girl a Christmas quilt. (The latter is a surprise.) Girl and I drove up to Joann Fabric earlier in the week, because I wasn't wild about the scraps of Christmas fabric I had. The inventory was low--they have yet to restock since the initial run prior to our lockdown, so I didn't buy anything. Thus, I decided that the quilts would be made with fabric I have on hand. Actually, they are coming together beautifully--having a limited choice almost makes it easier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not sure if my comment went through--our internet dropped last night, so I had to reset everything. In any case, not in regards to food, but I am making a Christmas themed quilt for both a beloved friend, and Girl. (The latter is a surprise.) Girl and I drove up to Joann Fabric earlier in the week, and the store has yet to restock since the run on supplies prior to lockdown. I didn't find anything I liked, so I bought nothing, and decided to work with the scraps I have on hand. The quilts are coming together beautifully. It's actually easier in a way, with limited choices!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love home made quilts and blankets. They are definitely a gift from the heart. That’s why I want to make the crazy quilt.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.