Saturday, November 14, 2020

Days of our Socially Distanced Lives V 11


      I've gone no where but the neighborhood, I've done very little, so this will be another uneventful entry. I can't promise short as once I get typing  the little  nothings of life, words seem to creep in. For new readers, the last couple months I've been doin g a chronicle of a couple days of my life form  morning to night, usually a Friday and Saturday. I am interested in the day to day lives of others, and so far I haven't had anyone scream through the keyboard for me to stop, so I will keep this going.

Friday, November 13

     Friday I woke up about the same time, 5:30, feeling  tired but  needing to tackle some e-mails eft the night before. Before anything though, pup needed to be taken out and fed and coffee needed to be made. I've been using the Keurig again with my reusable pod, making a double cup and putting in an insulated mug. I finished up my blog post, posted, and responded to comment the day before. I  read a few blogs I had missed on Thursday. Work was the same-weekly full staff meeting, budget preparations, short meetings with my reports, a meeting with my boss and interim boss. It was gray so I lit a candle and plugged in the lights around the fireplace. Darn! 1/2 the strand was dead. DH is not a fan of candles and I love them. He calls them air pollution. 


     I stopped about 12:00 for  the remaining two slices of the vegan pizza, but was feeling like cheese. DH had picked it up for me last Saturday. I used the air fryer to reheat with a bit of parchment paper. Oddly the cheese didn't melt. I looked at the package and it was low fat cheese, which I'm sure he grabbed in error. It was supposed to be my flex day, and even if not, in normal times, my day is supposed to end at 4:00 on Fridays. So, I did end my day by 4:00-sending a message that if there was anything urgent to text me. Thankfully nothing. 

     I checked Facebook as I was waiting for news of how my great niece did at her state highschool diving  meet. She did wonderfully well, and out of privacy, I won't share the state or her finish, but I am an awfully proud great auntie! Pup and I had a nice walk before it got dark, Man that pup loves the snow. He looked for fresh, unwalked parts and bound into it, then buried his face in where there were little drifts that made the snow a bit deeper. Despite the partially frozen pond, there were still a few ducks, and we got to see them  take off in flight. I didn't bring my phone along so no picture, though I wouldn't have been quick enough anyway. Ducks in flight are magical and they even did their quacking song to us. 

     Supper was sloppy joes and boxed shells and cheese. I had part of a crowler of seltzer with mine and we ate in front of the television to watch the MN Gopher football game. I could only take 1/2 the pain, I cleaned up the kitchen, and went up stairs and watched a couple meal prep YouTube videos. I had messaged my son earlier in the day and he got back to me and we chatted a bit via text. He is on a job  as he described, "in the middle of no where Arizona", essentially  in a secure bubble. It is so secure, he said the hair and make up staff  wear practically hazmat suits when they interact with the actors, and each crew only is to work within their own bubble. They've asked that they do not leave their  hotel rooms unless on the set, and all food is delivered to them. With these restrictions, he is hopeful the project will finish and he can make some decent money that will keep him viable financially for a while.  I went to bed about 10:00. 

Saturday, November 14

     I turn down the heat before I go to bed-well, hours earlier so it is crisp by morning- I love it. I allowed myself to go back to bed after my initial  wake up and bathroom run (literally a run some mornings!), but got up around 7:00. Same routine-pup out, fed, coffee, and logged into blogger. I wanted to give the lights one more try before tossing, and I ended up knocking one of my harvest pumpkins off the mantle, It was clean breaks, though I am still missing  a piece, so will glue back together. I'm annoyed with myself! There is no specialness to these pumpkins, other than I like them on the mantle, so glad at least it can be salvaged.


     I lazed around on blogger until DH went to work, with some NBC shows on in the back ground. A couple stories on NBC news for kids caught my eye. 


     One was whether Santa would still be able to come with Covid and the other was on a 10 year old sweet heart who was organizing meals for others in his community. His goals was to reach 100,000 meals by Thanksgiving. I love kids! 


     Once motivated, I shut off the computer and tackled some house work-bathroom, laundry, dusting, and vacuuming. I did a good clean out of the refrigerator, looking for anything that needed using up, then put together a chicken, rice, broccoli, and cheese hotdish for supper. Lunch was the last two slices of the pepperoni pizza for Wednesday, but I added a few more kalmata olives. I love my olives. 


     DD1 came over and played with the dog and we had a cup of tea together. Later, I took the dog for a walk in the cold rain and folded the morning laundry. I watched the latest Season 8 of the British Baking Show, my weekly pleasure. Tonight the plan will be to have supper, already made and now in the oven. Perhaps we will find a movie to watch together. We still have our month of HBO max through Amazon Prime. I must drink the other half of the seltzer as it probably is already a bit flat, an effort I am happy to make. It felt of odd not going anywhere, not even to pick up a loaf of bread for over a week. I can imagine a true lock down can really get to people. I am fortunate that I can still go for walks while honoring the recommended two weeks of quarantine. I am grateful to do that even in the rain. Not much to write or photograph, but such is my life this week. 

17 comments:

  1. It still sounds like it was a pretty good week. I agree that walks definitely help during the lockdowns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I et pup poke and smell as long as he wants. It is a nice respite for us both.

      Delete
  2. I agree that candles are air pollution. At least you can mend your pumpkin. I hate breaking things. The hotdish looks and sounds wonderful. Tommy like the description of what your dog did in the snow. Tell me again what kind of dog you have. We forgot. You and your dog like snow much more than I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a shihpoo, mix between shitzu and poodle, and on the little bit bigger size for the mix, about 20 pounds. He is long overdue for a hair cut so he loves the snow even more as he has a good coat.

      Delete
  3. I can see why covid numbers are rising. TheHub and I ran some errands this morning making sure we were there when the stores opened. The first two places we went were empty except for us and the sales staff. By the time we got to Aldi, there was a decent number of people but everyone was masked and maintained distance. Then we ran to Home Depot to return a staple gun that broke after using only 20 staples. Every body and their brother was there. We decided TheHub would run in and I would stay in the car just to have one less person in the store. Then when new headed home we saw a formerly private home that has been turned into a venue for events. Judging from the parking (overfull and requiring a policeman for traffic control), I would guess there were 250 people, all formally dressed and though we could only see those outside there was not a mask in sight. So much for small crowds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just can't imagine how anyone could live with the thought their celebration resulted in someone getting the virus and becoming deathly ill! timing errands is crucial isn't it? ITs another reason to shop our local and small businesses, as the workers seem to be following guidelines, and they do not seem crowded.

      Delete
  4. I know you are tired of quarantine life. I can see how people who do not have access to a yard or easy to walk isolated paths would go stir crazy.
    The film crews on shows filming in Atlanta have the same bubble practice with only the cameraman, director, hair and makeup and talent on set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like he does his work-I'm not sure what crew he is on right now as he floats n a few departments, and then leaves, and they set up for the next change. How long until your son and DIL are able to visit again? I did think of them when I wrote my thoughts, and a few friends I have in DC in apartments and condos.

      Delete
  5. I'm off to Google Sloppy Joe, crowler, hotdish and seltzer - I've read them on your blog before and have just commented to another American blog friend that your descriptions of food are like a foreign language to us Brits! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should do a better job of explaining, and I do the sam eon British foods and terms. I think that is part of the fun of international blogging community an dleanring the cultural differences. Crowlers are really huge cans of beer/seltzer but I think it is amade up terms-cross between a can and a Growler filled at local breweries. Sloppy joes are a ground beef sandwich, made with a variety of stuff depending on peoples favorite recipe, but some sort of sauce. Mine are mixed with a tomato, rice, and vegetable soup mix, simmered forever t get really rich. Hotdish isn't even a American term, but really a Minnesota term-basically, casserole. Seltzer is carbonated water-but the breweries and many beer distributers are making flavored alcohol and non-alcohol versions.

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much for that! xxx

      Delete
  6. I'm glad your son has been able to work again - it must be a worry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was happy to hear he was working as well, and sure hope he and his colleagues stay healthy. He seems to be very careful himself health and with his money. He has done well keeping afloat, but it s getting tough.

      Delete
  7. Your chicken, rice, broccoli, and cheese hot dish looks so good, Sam. We made smoked sausages and oven baked fries for dinner, just something easy as I had just woken up from a nap. LOL

    I will have to check out the British Baking Show and see if it is something I would like to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While the judges are super critical, and some of the things they make are about as foreign to me as things come, the contestants are competing for the shear joy of doing their best baking. They are sad when their peers eave, and you will even see them helping each other out if they can.

      Delete
  8. despite it all a cup of tea with another makes a mighty difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I whole heartily agree. My tea kettle will get a work out this winter.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.