Sunday, November 15, 2020

What's For Dinner -1/2 Way to Thanksgiving

 

Image:PosterMyWall

     I felt less than my best for most of last wee. The sore throat lingered for another few days after ruling out Covid. I think I need another hard freeze to wipe the pollen out of the air. Allergies really take a toll on me and I took to Benadryl by Monday night, crawling in bed good an early. Tuesday things were starting to look up. I was happy to have the leftover soup from last Saturday, plus ny reserve carton of Trader Joe's Tomato Red Pepper, hearty, filling, and easy on the throat. Cooking dinner continued none the less and  here's a summary of what we had last week:

  • Sunday:  Cheddar Brats, tater tots
  • Monday: BBQ Pork Roast ( I had thought it was Carnita flavored, but was BBQ). mashed potatoes, steamed carrots
  • Tuesday: Crock pot pasta
  • Wednesday: Homemade pizzas, pepperoni and vegan
  • Thursday: Salad deli style chicken wings
  • Friday: Sloppy Joe's and mac and cheese
  • Saturday: Chicken broccoli cheese and rice hotdish
     DH bought additional groceries on Thursday after he had to go into the office. I never really know what he buys but the deli chicken wings were from his shop . I also saw some Tyson  chicken tender sin the freezer i didn't buy. For meals fr the week, here's the running list of meals I've been including week to week that haven't yet been made, and new ones thought of based on what he bought or I searched on-line ot use up ingredients we have. 

  • Cheddar broccoli  soup 
  • Sausage, cheddar apple meatballs, side of some sort
  • Burritos, or bowls with rice and black beans
  • Tuna hotdish with vegetables
  • Chicken skewers with vegetables and rice pilaf
  • Rice Hotdish with carrots and celery
  • Pasta Bolognese
  • Mandarin Orange Chicken, rice and steamed veg
  • Hamburgers with the fixings, tots or fries
  • Chicken cordon bleu or kiev, rice and vegetables
  • Chicken strips with salad
  • Ground turkey white bean chili
     We are at $330. I doubt I can keep under $400 and buy all the needed items for thanks giving, but  I may self challenge to $450. I could reclassify some things as entertainment, but the spend is still the same regardless of where I put in my household books. By the end of this week, We'll be under 10 days in the month, and we're bound to have lots of turkey day leftovers, so might be doable if we limit take out and use up pantry items. I'm not comfortable with that though heading into  more dark days. It was reassuring while staying completely at home knowing that  I could whip meals out of a hat with what is in the house several timed over, but some of my staples are getting lower than normal. I love a good challenge. How are you doing with your November grocery budget? Who else is cooking Thanksgiving dinner traditional, or a new twist? 

17 comments:

  1. My parents are in town next week, so we'll be spending more on groceries. It's all good & we're looking forward to having them. We also don't do a typical Thanksgiving dinner. We'll most likely have steak. I'm also making a stuffed acorn squash dish one night, which feels festive & fall like. I attempted a roast chicken last night, which was pretty much a fail.

    We'll see what else we get up to this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because we love all the TG traditional dishes, I am looking forward to all the goodies. DH would love a good steak night and he is taking the week off. I think I will plan that for that week for him.

      Delete
  2. Like Hawaii Planner, we also have steak! My mother grew up on a farm and they raised turkeys. That's what they survived on thru the depression and war. Oh how she hated turkey! So we either had ham or steak. I'll have steak this year. Celie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting to hear the why's of peoples different traditions-or non traditions. Enjoy.

      Delete
  3. All sounds delicious! I've still been cooking from what I have left in the freezer and using up some pantry items. I've only had to buy mainly fresh veggies and breads all month, I'm under $100 and shouldn't have to shop again until next week. I'm just going with some platters for Thanksgiving which will probably run around $60 or so. My family will still be social distancing outside, it will just be easier than trying to serve the traditional dinner. Have a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IF we had that option, it would be a nice way to see people but not have the worry about a gathering in doors.

      Delete
  4. I have a turkey thawing right now to cook tomorrow. I will freeze most of in meal-sized portions. I will have sweet potato casserole, dressing gravy, cranberry sauce, and green beans. It will just be Tommy and I. We are okay with that.

    I would stay stocked up because of the upcoming winter. There are shortages already. Now is not the time to limit my stores or spending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just trying to have basics on hand. It never got so bad that we did without or couldn't have a substitute. TP and cleaners were the big issues and seem to be resolved with quantity limits.

      Delete
  5. It is hard to keep a budget down right now as prices are getting so high on some things here. I happen to love turkey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to learn how you make homemade noodles as I think a big turkey noodle soup will be one of the outcomes of our turkey. I could just buy Reamers noodles though.

      Delete
  6. I cook a giant pot of chili for US Thanksgiving and serve it up to our closest friends. We all take that day off (Thanksgiving in Canada is in early October) and watch football. We're going to go ahead with it this year, but with fewer people. I keep my eyes peeled for the meat going on sale, and I've been stocking up on my canned goods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that! Is it a bank holiday in Canada? I hope it will be a nice day and you can get outside as well. That seems perfect for a chili day with friends.

      Delete
  7. We will be having a traditional dinner. I’m going to double check this week to make sure I have everything I need. Husband and son both get free turkeys from their respective jobs. Today was Fend For Yourself, I had ramen. A baked pasta dish ( two days), tuna casserole, chicken tenders breaded with crushed pretzels and served with a garlic lemon butter dipping sauce and tacos for the rest of the week. Like the others said, prices are high and that’s making it hard to get ahead with any sort of stockpile but I try to buy a little extra to tuck away every week. JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember one year DHs had two turkeys, a ham, and some sort of meat pack! We ate so well! I'm not even worrying about prices but I like to challenge myself, though if I find a good deal I'll buy a bit more. I also want to add things for food pantry.

      Delete
  8. the 'twist' at my place is we are having a T-dinner. Usually we do not as Someone always works that day, so we skip it. As it will be the two of us I don't know yet what we will do - other than my turkey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The nice thing about turkey is just about any sides go with it. I still am a traditional TG meal fan so that is what we will have.

      Delete
  9. Having someone else doing the grocery buying adds a twist. I do the meal planning and shopping so it's pretty easy to know what's on hand. I just stocked up on chickens from a local producer so I did a freezer inventory. I shouldn't have to buy protein for months. I did that once before and it took me 6 months to get through what was on hand. I'll often buy a turkey when it's on sale. <$1/lb is pretty inexpensive protein if you have the freezer storage. And who says you can only eat turkey at Thanksgiving and Christmas?

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.