Saturday, November 28, 2020

Days of Our Socially Distanced Lives-V 13



      This two day recap of the life I lead will actually be two non-work days thanks to my Friday holiday. Having been up at 5:00 on Thursday, and doing a lot of cleaning and meal prep, I physically was feeling the aches and pains of having turned 55 this week. Here's how life in a socially distant world was for two days at the end of November.

Friday, November 27

     I was up about 7:30, very rare for me to sleep so late. Pup gave us a scare as he stayed down in his ed all night, and was still curle dup. He just did not seem himself. When he got up, I noticed he had throw up on his pillow. I got him outside, made coffee and tried to get him to drink some more. He was guarding his pillow/mat. Later I got him outside to just play and the fresh air seemed to perk him up-I was able to get his pillow, which is really just an old quilt stuffe din a pillow case, into the wash. I made coffee and  did some blog catching up, having skipped blogging on Thursday. 

     Once  others were up, I got all the dishes put back in the China hutch (the rattling sound was kind of loud), and the roaster washed and put away. Meals were a combination of leftovers, and some eggs and avocados, which needed eating as well. I don't have a whole lot to share on the day as it was pretty much just laundry, and lounging, reading the paper, reading blogs until mid afternoon. DH ended up going into work after a sort of extended family member called him for help on a car. 

     A birthday/Christmas gift to myself came. I've wanted a small Kitchen  island/cart and ashley Furniture had this on sale last week, plus I found an additional 10%  off code. I like the pop of mint green it will add to my  kitchen, and give me a work space that will let me look out windows. I've wanted a piece like this for the 30 years we've lived here! 

Here's my cart/which I'll use sort of as an island.

     After the excitement of the cart coming, I tackled turning the turkey bones and skins into broth for soup. I let is simmer for a good hour before cooling,  draining the broth from the bones, and getting all the meat off the bones. I put that meat, along with more turkey, more onions, carrots, and celery, plus pepper, garlic and bouillon to get the soup made. 


I'll probably freezing some for later as well.

     We decided that the gift of a free small deep dish pizza for my birthday from a local pizza place was a good impetus to lay off turkey for the rest of the day and get take out. We added to the order and tipped generously, basically ignoring the voucher, and had a very early supper while we watched a sappy Christmas movie. 


Lot's of leftovers for Saturday.

     Once done, we put leftovers away and I ran to the store to  get the frozen egg noodles and maybe just found a good deal on Ben and Jerry's. I finished the soup, packing some servings to deliver to my sister and MIL, the only takers on my offer. Others were either making their own soup or didn't trust my cooking! After soup was put away, I washed the  pot, and had some ice cream-and the last of the white wine from  the day before. Evening viewing was the finale of the British Baking Show, and a couple episodes of Designated Survivor. 

A jar for my sister.


Saturday, November 28

     Maybe I don't do well with multiple days off work and being home, but I woke up unmotivated to get things done. I baked the remaining loaf of bread to go with our soup later. Of course pup was taken out and fed, and I had coffee. I read blogs, posted  a flashback and returned comments. I checked DH into Great Clips for  a hair cut. Eventually I got cleaned up and folded the lingering laundry.

Over proofed so it sank-sad.
    
      I was getting hungry and we needed to eat up the buns, so I made a turkey sandwich with cranberry. So yummy! After I had a bite, I took a bunch of the turkey that was left and  repackaged for the freezer. After soup, I think we will have had our fill of turkey for a bit, but it will be ready for a future meal. That meant I could finally wash the  cake pan it was being stored in. DD2 went over to her sisters to hang out and work on school work. While she was gone, DH took a trip to Menards, a large home improvement store in our area, for some things needed. I tackled the lights, garland, and wreath on the porch  while pup kept me company in the front yard. I am not one for massive lights, but like a little brightness for the holidays. It was quite warm , staying in the 40's and sunny but it's supposed to get colder tomorrow. 


   
       I took pup for a short walk as he was getting barky at anyone walking by which was quite often because it was so nice. He was quiet otherwise, watching our neighbor across the street tackle real lights, ladder and all. Pup loves K&J and their pup, so doesn’t bark at them. On the walk I snapped the pond, no ducks today. The ice is slowly forming across. I thought this small pine was lovely and gave me a pre Christmas smile.




   
       I read until my sister stopped over, then read some more. When DH got home I fixed my broken pumpkin with the super glue and gathered all my fall things to store away. By now, I decided Christmas decorating would be on tomorrow’s loop list. Dinner will just be soup and bread, with ice cream for dessert. DD2 and I are going to play a game  tonight, maybe chess or Scrabble.   I plan to have a seltzer or maybe some wine, but probably an early night. So there’s my days.

14 comments:

  1. Your house decorations are very pretty. And, I like that cart. Everyone needs one of those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll like the cart for prepping meals, sitting on a stool and being able to look out the window or watch television. I can do that by sitting at the table too, but think this will work nice.

      Delete
  2. Hope your pup is ok. Your house a decorated so pretty.
    Turkey soup sounds good!
    We finished up our leftovers today, and I turned the last of the turkey into a casserole tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He seemed ore himself yesterday-but I felt so bad for him,perhaps too many table scraps on Thursday. I'll need to freeze some turkey. Even with sandwiches a few days, making soup, and sending food hoe with the MIL, there is still enough for at least one if not two hotdishes. I'm gals we had an under 11 pound bird.

      Delete
  3. "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little bit. DH is not a decorating fan-kind of a grinch actually when it comes to decorations, so the porch lights are doable by me alone so that is the amount of decorating I tackle on the outside. I had to put the wreath on the porch as he doesn't want anything on the new door. Grinch, I say.

      Delete
  4. That sounds like a nice relaxing day - and why not! It was interesting to see your home from the outside too, the different styles from different places around the world. As for making stock, I did that one Christmas, simmering the turkey carcass for hours with carrots and celery, and then accidentally threw the whole lot down the sink because I forgot to put a pan under the sieve! A mistake you only make once!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I can see the stock mishap so easily happening. I have a large bowl that the colander fits into and I dump, then lift, and back in tot he pot. Biy do I have a lot of soup now though!

      Delete
  5. Your front porch looks nice. Saturday the weather here in Illinois was so nice. I put a few decorations on our front porch too. Cold weather is coming back this week. I'm slowly decorating the inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is true decorating minimalism because hubs is not a decorating fan and this is what I can handle on my own. I'm OK with it though. I have a couple small wreaths on sides of the garage on the lanterns, and with the light son, there is enough festive look for me.

      Delete
  6. I a relation gave me homemade soup you would be tops in the will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you were in Minnesota, you would be tops on my list to share my soup with!

      Delete
  7. I've been unmotivated during the break as well, and am sad (as usual) that it's coming to an end. Love your porch decorations! We can't decide if we're decorating or not this year (we head to our vacation house on 12/19 & would want to have everything put back before then).

    As for today, I'm hoping to squeeze in a few activities, prep for the week ahead, make a batch of chili & a butter chicken dish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My outside decorations are so minimal, I can u tup and then take down in under an hour. It's mostly to have some extra light when it is so dark so early. I'll leave up until sometime in January when we get a warmish day where I can be outside without mittens for more than a few minutes.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.