Sunday, December 27, 2020

Another Round of Holiday Week Meals-Blogmas Day 26

     

Free photo stock picture pcjumbo.com

     We will be off to DH's mom about 11:30, but it will not be the all day occasion that is typical for his family. We will mask when not eating, and spread out. I need to also get her Netflix set up for her. I think she will enjoy watching some old television programs. Gifts for her include the table we purchased in partnership with DH's siblings and spouse. I also found her a pretty cable knit sweater in a purplish gray and a few pairs of bamboo fiber socks. We have some fun computer paper, or she can use as stationary, and in a card was a future gift to take her out for an evening at a TBD destination. DD1 made her a calendar of the photos she has taken through the year (I got one too and love it and will put the pictures in frames for my office at year end), and a gift card to a  coffee house. DS, through me, another gift card to where she meets friends for breakfast- once she can again. DD2, on a college student budget, repeated the idea of an assortment of Trader Joe's  baking mixes-a few fun versions. It is hard to shop for a woman who has pretty much everything and means to buy what she does not. 

     Another week to think about meals. Last week with trying to eat down leftovers, Christmas food, picking up take out, and  DD2 being limited on what she can eat, meals were just sort of a blur.  We are in a similar boat this week, but with a big meal today, and likely ordering pizza Thursday night for New Years Eve and a big brunch NY day, I'm not over thinking. Both DH and I are back to work tomorrow, though at least for me, it will be quiet and hopefully a really good catch-up week. DH though is likely to be very busy as he has both end of month and end of year paperwork.  I want meals that can stay hot or reheat easy if he is running late. Here's what I'm am thinking. 

  • Broccoli Cheddar (I didn't make yesterday) soup
  • Wild rice soup and homemade bread
  • Stir fry and rice
  • Tuna noodle hotdish
  • Goulash and mixed veg
  • Turkey meatloaf, mashed potatoes and corn
  • Take out pizza-NYW
  • Brunch (putting here as the rest of the day will be leftovers and football food like chicken wings and nachos) NY Day
  • Fajitas and/or  Philly Cheese steaks and homemade fires-stuff from the leftover Christmas meals
  • More leftovers (from fridge and odds and ends from my freezer)

     With this, I'll use up odds and ends and have a total freezer clean-out, with some comfort foods thrown in. I haven't done a top to bottom clean out since the Sunday before Thanks giving, so way over due. Not the most festive, but I'm sort of done with festive foods and want to get back to comfort foods. We still have plenty of treats round to be festive should we choose. I'll be i a good position to inventory the post holiday pantry for a main shop for January. I need to get back to my no waste mantra that I was in last spring and summer. I got lazy the last few months. What's on your menu? Do you do special New Years meals?




14 comments:

  1. I'm making a big crockpot of bone broth now- actually following a recipe that says cook it for at least 48 hours. Then I'll make some French onion soup with all the onions I have from the produce delivery and freeze the rest. I can order fresh farm meat from the delivery now so added a 5 pound pack of bones for $10 a couple of deliveries ago. Not cheap but they are a small family farm. I'm going no place until at least a week after my family visit- just 6 of us Christmas Eve but still the college student who likes to meet friends. He's our social butterfly- has been since preschool. I have a lot of work to finish before the first too- December really flew by. Two of my kids have January birthdays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our youngest has a January birthday as well, but she will be back at school. I'm going to make curry at least once before she goes and freeze a portion or two, plus some wild rice soup for her to have on her birthday.

      Delete
  2. We're going to have leftovers of party food & then get back to normal. We will likely be driving on NYE, so whatever is quick & easy when we get home. For New Year's Day, we may splurge & order takeout, as we won't be able to do a celebratory meal on NYE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose a long drive one way means a long drive back. Getting take out on NY sounds like a practical and deserved plan.

      Delete
  3. Sounds great Sam! We still have leftovers to finish up today. In addition to all the food we had for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day my daughter brought all kinds of delicious food over to share :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am down to just a bit of fish, the peppers, some veggie skewers, and the two steaks for leftovers. With my son not here, I scaled back quantities.

      Delete
  4. I do prepare special New Year's meals. Usually, it's a turkey or ham. We had ham this year for Christmas (unusual for us, typically it's a rib roast) so this year it is going to be a turkey. Youngest found a small, whole, fully cooked, frozen smoked turkey on clearance the supermarket yesterday, and suggested we give it a try. I picked up a regular one as well to tuck in the freezer. $0.68/lb is a price I like! Tonight we are having a rib roast. I'm not sure if I'm going to have our big meal on New Year's Eve or New Year's Day. I will see what the kids think. I typically take the Christmas decorations down on the 27th, but I decided I'm waiting until tomorrow. The week will then be spent thinking and hoping about next year. With any luck our well should be drilled next week...not holding my breath, and we will be in our new place before Christmas. That's my main hope. I'm afraid I'm being overly optimistic, however. (Why the move so soon after building this? It's a looong story, but a plan that should benefit our family immensely. Also, I sort of like moving...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to hear the whole story of moving so soon. Obviously I hat moving-same house sine 1991! I believe you kept your last house and are renting it out, but will you do the same with this home? If I make a big meal, it would likely b Ne Years Day since we both work on NYE, and he works the day after New Years.

      Delete
  5. After Christmas Eve/Christmas Breakfast/Christmas day/Boxing Day too meals we are rawther full. I suspect no more meals until February - with the exception Someone makes black-eyed peas on 1 January.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny how the body can be so full ad then request being fed again. I hope Someone is in the mood to make that dish for you.

      Delete
  6. We are remodeling our old apt so I have been kitchen less since we moved back 5 weeks ago. I have the basics just no stove so lots of frozen foods being eaten I can use MIL next door but that just annoying. I am hoping to not go to the store until Thursday afternoon after work (1/2 day).
    Tonight- plain ground beef for him and a salad with a little GB for me
    Monday- chicken on a salad
    Tuesday- meatballs in the CP
    Wednesday- chicken tenders
    Thursday- date night
    Friday- Stouffers Salisbury steak w.mashed
    Saturday- steaks on the grill
    DH as many digestive issues which limits our options as well as I am low carb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should do less carbs-will need to tackle something the ew year to achieve my health goals. Good luck with the remodel. Hard to live and remodel.

      Delete
  7. We have pork and sauerkraut for New Years which I will make in the 31st since I work New Years Day. I also plan on making buffalo chicken dip and I might do a small veggie tray. I picked up everything this evening and made an exchange at Kohl’s so I can avoid shopping the rest of the week. Other than that I have no meal plans for the week, I’ll figure it out as we go! JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My plans are loose too-the before mentioned are possibilities and could change on a dime or attitude.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.