Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Hopeful Look Forward-Blogmas Day 30

Free image dreamstime.com


     
     I'm writing this post while sitting in front of the tree, lit but no longer with presents underneath. Christmas music is no longer streaming. I'll pack it all up on New Year Day, giving myself a proper  full weekend in the  New Year, transitioning out of holiday mode. Normally I feel energized as December winds down. I get a little of the post Christmas slump, but mostly, ready to think about the possibilities and what a new year might bring. This year, probably like most of you, I feel different. Listing goals for 2021 is setting myself up for a big fat failure, and who needs to go into a new year with that attitude? Instead, I'll call my list hopes. I know, hoping is a very passive, non-ambitious way to achieve dreams and aspirations. With so much out of my control, I think it is an appropriate approach to this new year. Plus, no one said hope can't get a little bit of direction through some intentional action, right? My hopes are in bold and italics, while the little intentional nudges are bulleted beneath. 

For 2021, I hope for...

Good Heath and Improved Wellness

  • Lose enough weight  to no longer be in the Overweight BMI category
  • Gain more strength in my legs and arms, build both muscle and bone density
  • Resume the sleep clinic effort, be fitted for the mouth guard
  • Resume regular hiking, play tennis, swim and other activities that I enjoy and have treated as an after thought for the last several years
  • Use counseling, therapy, or other professional help when needed and not try and manage everything alone
  • Do a better job assuming positive intent in all areas and with all people first

Financial Stability and Progress on Retirement Goals

  • Increase our % of cash savings
  • Max out both Roth and 401K's
  • Review and update monthly and annual budget, tightening belt where we can and on things that are not necessities or bring us joy
  • Support DD2 in buying her first house (probably with sweat equity in the right house)
  • Support DS in getting caught up on the financial set-backs due to Covid economic conditions
  • Support DD2 in securing a strong internship

Positive Relationships

  • Do several mini trips, and a longer trip  depending on travel/public health conditions
  • Spend more quality time with MIL, but in small doses so I preserve my own calm
  • Spend more time with siblings-as we all age, this should not be taken for granted, and includes DH's siblings
  • Schedule at least one friends activity a month, not counting book club
  • Schedule at least one couples friend activity a quarter
  • Support each adult child in their "adulting", but without meddling. Imposition, or taking on additional personal stress (this is private hope that I likely won't elaborate on much in the blog)

Organized Mind and Life

  • Home projects completed including patio, bathrooms, and office
  • Start minimalizing home-sell or donate useable items not used, needed, or loved
  • Negotiate purging of  DH's hoarding of paperwork and material from decades ago
  • The GARAGE 

Peace and Contentment

  • Figure out where my faith/spirituality is after it has taken a bruising these last four years
  • Encourage DH to pull the lever and buy a boat (used) that he has wanted to do for over a decade
  • Schedule vacation days for mental health throughout the months to whittle down some of my accrual  and do not  check email
  • Keep social media to healthy and positive interactions; no political discourse. However, a reminder to myself to not let it be just glorified versions of life, but reality, while remembering nothing is as perfect as some social media posts tend to be.
  • Focus on my job as a means to earn a paycheck, while hours not working is my life 
     Woah-I think I have overwhelmed myself, but all categories and all strategies are common place for most people. Some things are ridiculously repetitive from year to year, unmet, not accomplished, and excuses made. 2020 taught me there are learned lessons in my hopes. People matter-they matter the most, and when the human experience is relegated to a 15 inch screen or the other end of a phone call, I simply can't take the physical presence for granted any longer. Our bodies truly must be a temple for health and out homes a place of refuge. Fiscally, we never know when I crisis will hit, and for how long, and  empty spending chips away at security for my family. Today, my plan is to post monthly strategies on the first day, and recap the previous months on the last. Today that is the plan. Other than of course what we all wish for for, what is your biggest hope or hopes for 2021?



18 comments:

  1. I have many of the same hopes. I am focusing fully on one thing each month, the other things won't be forgotten along the way. I hope by the end of next year to have 12 really solid accomplishments. Wishing you and your family all the best for the new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll definitely need to break down so I can focus a bit more. I started with asking my daughter to take a 1-1-2021 picture of me in a tank top and leggings, to give me motivation on the healthier me part.

      Delete
  2. Your list seems overwhelming to me, but quite frankly I feel like I haven’t been handling anything all that well lately. I decided to make a short term and long term list and neither are very long. Short term-get Christmas put away in an organized fashion, clear up digital clutter, like unsubscribe from emails, go through pictures, delete old contacts. Tackle a few hot spots around the house that always seem to frustrate, like improve the front door area for better function. Long term-see my mom friends in person as weather permits and make sure I text them more often. I need to start walking again but that’s going to have to wait for better weather too. I would often do a few extra laps around the grocery store or mall but not now! January has always been a hard month for me. The grey and cold leave me unmotivated, often sitting on the couch. I have to force myself to leave the house and once I do, I enjoy it. But this year, there’s not much to enjoy. I can just hope the beginning of the year goes by quickly. JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about January being hard. I've whined about that in past blogs. Once my daughter's birthday is over, it seems like it is just a long, long way until spring-especially here. One thing I am hopeful about is a good friend couple of ours should be on the shorter list for vaccines-she works in public safety and in a hospital setting, and he is in a school/bus setting with kids. I don't know how long it might take, but if they can get vaccinated by end of February, that's at least two people we can expand our interaction with. Feel free to message me-or ay other way to reach out.

      Delete
  3. I love this for you, especially all the self care stuff you have in here! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like at 55, I am well past middle age, so now taking care of myself needs to be a priority, There is no "youth" working in my favor.

      Delete
  4. I always think "oh that's a good idea, I'll make a list too" and then nothing ever happens. My mind just seems to go blank (well, except for the eternal "need to lose weight" bit). It made me laugh that you wrote THE GARAGE in all caps (look out hubby) but I think it's nice that you want to encourage your husband to get a boat. You can keep putting things off for ever and ever and then never get around to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is driving me crazy about the boat. He looks, and goes to see them, and then always declares some issue so never buys. I don't know what the issue is. It would be his own money, left from his grandma, that I don't even see the account, so not like it would take away from family goals. THE GARAGE needs to be in big letters.

      Delete
  5. This is a splendid list.
    May I borrow it to build upon as my own?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's my list is your list! I hope you have success and that dribbles to my success.

      Delete
  6. You have really good hopes and steps to work towards them. I never make resolutions, tho I did set one goal and that is to be more open to other ideas/things and less opinionated. I spent a few days for xmas with a very opinionated sister (she's gotten worse as aged) and started to wonder if I've become like that as well. I may copy some of your hopes! Best, Celie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a very worthy goal. We all want to ban my oldest brother from Facebook. He is a copy and paster.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Hope is the key word as in-I hope all come to fruition.

      Delete
  8. Hey any plans we make that help us be better are a good thing, even if they overwhelm us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if I have nothing to strive towards, I will certainly accomplish nothing.

      Delete
  9. Happy Christmas, Sam, and here's to a better 2021! I support your goals - you can do them! I find with decluttering, just do one shelf, then stop. Just one. It's a nice small goal, feels good, and takes the pressure off.

    My goal is always the same these days: meet or beat my books read each year. I have a feeling this year will be up there!

    All the best to you - it's been lovely getting to know you this past year. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be following your fashion motivating posts into the new year. I want more pizazz-part of the self care. At some point we will return to the land of seeing colleagues, friends and family in person and won't the all be surprised when I show up looking all sleek and polished!

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.