Thursday, December 31, 2020

Thrifty Thursday to Close the Year-Blogmas Day 31

      It's been 366 days since New Years Eve 2019. Like many of us, I had big goals to move forward financially. Considering at that point we had made a determination that DH would retire at years end, 2023, we had just four years of double income to invest in  projects round the house, pay for our daughter college, and build up cash so we could comfortably live on my salary alone, deferring tapping into DH's retirement accounts until I no longer  was working, two years later, give or take a few months.  Well we have moved the goal post a little bit, with DH now thinking he'll work another 4-5 months, then fully be retired by summer 2024, that is if his store stays healthy enough to remain open. He still is number crunching and determining when he might start taking  Social Security, at what point does the decrease in taking it early be too much of a hit to waiting it out, and so forth.

     I've added another year-bringing my retirement to March 2027, which would give me an additional full year of pension earnings, plus at the rate I accrue vacation, I'd likely only be working about three of those nine weeks to burn down accrual, plus make a hefty transfer into our Health Savings Account. Ideally, even though I could tap into my pension, I'd like to hold off at least until I turn 64, which would mean we would need cash savings of an emergency  account, plus 27 months of living expense. Yeah, I don't think it is realistic either and quite frankly I don't yet know all the rules around retirement accounts and when you have to start drawing from them, but we will learn over the next 36 months. 

      Until then, I'm concentrating on the small, and the less small economies within my control. With Christmas done, I tried to maximize where other spending went this week. Maximizing our time and resources is also part of my economic goals so a few to share this week are:

Time

  • The obvious-Christmas Eve and Day was quite different but spending both with my nuclear family, including DS by  Facebook Video conferencing was special. 
  • By taking precautions on Sunday including spreading out and wearing masks, and only seeing  MIL/Mom/Grandma, it was a nice afternoon. She had a little game for us all to play, of which I will insert at the bottom if you would like to give it a try.
  • We had a long series of  holiday texts and banter with my siblings, and on another string with DH's siblings. 
  • Watched the movie Soul with my girls on Monday, which was nice for the between holiday week and end of my work day.
  • I've used the work week to catch-up on outstanding tasks and feel like the  New Year will run smoother. Other years I've taken the day after Christmas off, and then perhaps a few half days if DS was home, but with having the weekend following Christmas, I still had the work-Christmas separation. 

Reminder to use my time well.

Resources

  • While I didn't overdo too much holiday food buying, we are using up leftovers. I made Philly Cheese sandwiches with leftover steak, but sadly, the trout did not get reserved and was binned. Fortunately it wasn't a large portion since I bought a smaller piece of fish to begin with.. 
  • I also made a successful crockpot pasta with a lingering zucchini from the curry I made a few weeks back, some bagged spinach,  and the rest of the cut up peppers and remaining veggie skewers.
  • I repurposed several gift bags-and noticed my MIL did as well. As I put things away, I'll stick any useable ones, plus, sheets of tissue paper that are not ripped into the wrapping supplies.

    Pantry planning notebook-old photo, new use!
  • This could be here or money, but I committed to joining a Pantry Challenge through a Facebook group. I'm finding lingering baking products and lot's of fruit bought when I wasn't sure how access would b to fresh fruit. I may do a series of Use It Up posts-maybe not. Thoughts?
  • DD1 bought a cute blazer jacket a few weeks ago on clearance and forgot it before a load went into the dryer. It shrunk, but she was able to pass on to DD2, who is slowly building a few professional outfits for volunteering and internships. DD1 probably could have still warn it, but she generously passed on. She at least got 2 wears herself. 

Money

  • Despite a lot of back and forth because the receipt wouldn't  scan clearly by using the phone, I got DD2's Out of Pocket co-payment submitted for reimbursement through my medical account. It will arrive prior to the Visa bill being due. I found a couple other lingering receipts totaling $72 and submitted them as well. I'll still carry forward just under 500, the max allowed, into the 2021 account.
  • I didn't do too much post Christmas shopping, mostly just a look when I had to buy other things. I am restocked on  wrapping paper, and found a few gifts for next year at 50% off. (though honestly, I never would have paid the full price, so I'd say more about a 20-30% savings.)
  • Each day this week I was of the mind set to order take out for lunch like Jimmy John's or Chipotle and each time made the thrifty decision to eat what we had in the house. When we next do Take Out, I want it to be supporting small business, and be of better quality than fast food. 
  • This is DD2's, but she was longing for new books, and received Christmas money form her grandma. She ended up getting a set she has wanted for a long time at Half-Price Books, rather than at Barnes and Noble, plus a $5 perfect condition copy of Les Mis, also on her list. She used an old Target gift card for a third book-maximizing her spending. I think she did very well, as books bring her a lot of joy, particularly classics and editions that she plans to have forever. 


Time for the piggy to resurface. 


     I plan to continue to account for my thrift in these thee ways in 2021.While I am looking ahead to the retirement years, I owe it to myself and family to  live in the here and now as well, which is why the Time category needs to be a focus. Also, ensuring we are not being wasteful with the gifts and  resources provided to us is a priority. Time and natural resources are not to be scoffed at! Likewise, we won't flip a switch at midnight and declare the economies of the world are back to normal, that the the health of the world is back to normal. Small economies', and making sure we are being both smart and generous when we can will continue to be a priority. Each of us get to decide what these mean for ourselves. With this post, loosely connected to Christmas and the holiday spirit as it be, will be the end of Blogmas 2020. Happy  New Year to you all! 

THE GAME: Remove one letter from the word, in sequence, to end up with  8 different words. Each new word builds from the previous word by removing a letter. The letters stay in the same order, but you can remove any letter. You'll end up with a one letter word. (I'll share the answer on Saturday-if I remember myself by then!)

STARTLING

8.

7.

6.

5.

4.

3.

2.

1.

22 comments:

  1. rules for retirement funds are changing this coming year. So don't focus on that too much. At this point it's pulling minimum distribution at 70 1/2 but they are looking at changing it to 72 1/2 or something like that. Inherited IRA is different and has to be closed in 10 yrs from the death.
    I would love the use it up posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am quite ignorant about all the ins and outs of retirement planning, but my husband will be diving in with great gusto now that the three year mark is close. I can take a retirement course within three years of retirement to help plan the remaining years of my career, free of charge through work, so I know all the options. Yes, so many things change, but I feel like I should at least know what is todays rules so I understand the changes tomorrow. Thank you for the feedback on the use it up question.

      Delete
  2. Rules for life have changed drastically. I do agree with living in both the here and now and also planning for the future. It is a hard row to hoe though.
    The game was fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to remember the answer now! I know normal is an oxymoron now. But normalcy should be possible.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you've done well with everything Sam. This year has totally ruined our retirement plans. We had a nice chunk set aside that was to cover any extras, emergencies and property taxes on our places through the years until we would start pulling from Social Security and our pensions. That is the account we've had to live on this year and it will probably be drained by the time we can safely go back to work. We will probably both have to go back to work full time instead of just working here and there like we did the last few years *sigh*

    All the best to you and your family in the coming year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we're all revisiting and trying to make up ground. DH wanted to be more an occasional worker as well by 62, but extending 4-5 months will hopefully give us that extra cushion, and he'll be done ny summer while still 62. Good luck to you all.

      Delete
  4. I think we all did what ever we could to get through the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those babies were the best memtal health support. I've enjoyed your sharing your loves with us all.

      Delete
  5. That was a bummer about your daughter's jacket shrinking, but I guess, thinking positive, it didn't shrink AND turn bright pink. As for your retirement, you are probably wise to re-think at the moment but I hope it comes sooner rather than later for both of you. Happy new year. Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's cute on DD2. She's 35 pounds and 7 inches shorter than her sister!

      Delete
  6. Happy New Year!
    Fun game too.
    We have 12 years are so to think about retirement although I hope for an early retirement. Health insurance is the biggest obstacle for us.
    Thanks for taking us along on this journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Roth and my HSA is supposed to help with the insurance plis then Medicare supplemental. Losing the contribution this year, even though we still have the cash, may have cost us $1000 a year in compound interest so in hindsight not wise.

      Delete
  7. Best of luck with the retirement account planning, it all sounds hugely complicated. A couple of work colleagues retired this year and I know they steadily had to plod through all the small print and different scenarios. All our dinner leftovers get shunted into the fridge, no matter how small – my monsieur would just chuck them away, can you believe it! They make a lovely lunch for me the next day, especially as I am working from home, I don’t have to repack them. Here’s to a great (and thrifty) 2021! Lulu xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand the small bites being saved. Those are my lunches practically for free. Retirement scares me which is why we are rethinking.

      Delete
  8. Oohhh I think I have the answer. I love little games like this! A pantry challenge sounds like an excellent idea for January. I only bought a few things I needed for next year at 50% off clearance and have mostly avoided the stores this week, except for a return for my daughter but it was in my plaza so it wasn’t an inconvenience. Happy New Year to you and your family!!! JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll need to redo the game and post tomorrow (Saturday). I'm making some sausage meatballs and turkey meatloaf with some lurkers. Thank you again for sharing your photos.

      Delete
  9. It is too bad about the jacket. At least the lining did not shrink and warp, leaving the jacket unwearable. I have seen things warp in an ugly way. And, she had a sister who could wear it!

    Tommy said a lot about retirement accounts when I asked, but too much to relate coherently. He retired at 66.

    I am in the midst of using up right now. I can cook and freeze if that is what it takes to get things used before they spoil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm clearing some older meat items out this weekend. Jacket is wearable-just smaller.

      Delete
  10. Happy New Year to you. I didn't make it up until 10 PM but I'm up at 4 AM so that counts LOL. It was really noisy in my neighborhood so I slept really POORLY! I'm organizing my planner and making a weekly menu- a new WOE LOL. The woe is way of eating but might be more of a woe. Have a great 2021.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It couldn't hAve been quieter except at Midnight when I heard fireworks off a bit away. Not too bad. A planner! I didn't buy a personal one yet.

      Delete
  11. Pants are quite overrated in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Over rated but much appreciated to cover what should not be seen!

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.