Wednesday, March 17, 2021

My Wednesday Pantry- Basics for St Paddy's Day

     
Viva Tysons

     I'm still looking at various cookbooks and doing a bit of dabbling in my head and on paper, but I see to keep falling back on oldies and staples. I guess there is nothing wrong with that, but boredom in meals is a ting in this house right now. I looked back over what I've tried and can share in this Wednesday post but the offerings are slim. I don't think I have any Irish cookbooks, but could scour the internet. Here's a couple basics thrown together options that might be different in your house, if same old same old in mine.

Cauliflower Au Gratin-Celie asked me for a recipe and I popped this in the comments: I just made a white sauce with butter, flour, and milk, but loaded it with onion and garlic powder, plus salt and pepper, then stirred in steamed cauliflower and about 1/2 cup shredded cheese. It was really creamy, and I put in a pie plate and topped with bread crumbs and baked for another 20 minute or so for cheese to melt and topping to crisp up. How's that for basics!

Rice Hotdish
 1 1/2 Cup long rain rice, three cups water, 1/2 cup soy sauce, 1 stalk chopped celery, 1 large chopped carrot, 1 chopped onion, and 1 pound (or less to your taste) cooked ground beef. Toss all in an oven proof covered  casserole or Dutch oven, bake at 350 degrees with the cover on. Stir every 20 minutes, for approximately an hour, then take cover off and cook for a final 20 minutes. If you have chow mein noodles, you can pop them on for the last 10. This is DD2's absolutely favorite  hotdish. I'll make without meat and add more veggies too sometimes. 

     I've never cooked for St Patrick's Day. We normally meet up with friends for beers and appetizers and call it a good day. There won't be any corned beef and cabbage though I had a Rueben Saturday night. I feel like I should maybe do something with potatoes? Tator Tots perhaps? Maybe something with a bottle of Guinness because I won't drink the stuff. Likely the only  SPD celebrating we will do is maybe find a travel show tonight to watch that will take us to Ireland, and that's OK this year. I just thought I could try my hand at an Irish Soda bread-looks doable. I'll give you n update if I try. 

     We got another dusting of snow, but I bet the nearby bar and grill will have outdoor music and we will hear it. It will be packed to the limit I'm sure. Will you be doing anything today?

36 comments:

  1. We were able to get three corned beef on mark down one year and we were not fans of it for some reason. It's not something I grew up eating, so that could be it. No special food planned here today, but we are getting a grocery order delivered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does have a different taste if you're ecpectung roast beef. I love it.

      Delete
  2. No plans today. I’m not the least bit Irish but I’m wearing a green shirt to work lol. I’m trying my hand at mashed cauliflower as a to substitute potatoes tonight. As for any good luck charms, my dad and friend both go for their first Covid shots today! JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the full on green some years. I hope your dad doesn't have many side effects. Happy for him.

      Delete
  3. Oh gosh I think I've cooked for St Patrick's day since I was first married in 1969! I now use a slow cooker though and Reubens are on the menu the next day of course. I am a little Irish but my late husband's GM was a Murphy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of Murphy's around here- and McNamaras.

      Delete
  4. We don't do anything special to celebrate St. Patrick's Day but looking forward to making the mushroom puffs this evening. Have a great and delicious day whatever you decide. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. nope... nothing special on the table or doing. Used to do corned beef and cabbage and beer bread as we don't care for soda bread that much

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't bother trying the bread either.

      Delete
  6. I have a pin to wear and forgot it when I went out today, the only place I will go. I never try for new and exciting. The same foods in different ways is all the variety we get around here. We are not complaining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a friend who goes all out on buttons and distributes all downtown St Paul.

      Delete
  7. I've never celebrated St. Pats - obviously, I'm not Irish - but if you're looking for an Irish chef I see Donal Skehan has a web site. I remember him from years ago as a young-ish lad and was shocked to see he's now 34. Doesn't make me any younger does it. But I see he has some Irish recipes if you're interested! I bought what was, I think, his first cookbook but (shame on me) it's one that I've rarely picked up, solely because I just have way too many!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll look him up. I am getting a hefty book shelf as well.

      Delete
  8. Somehow, it has become a tradition that I make a corned beef and cabbage slow cooked in a Guinness, and either a cheesecake or chocolate Guinness cake for dessert. I used to have my kids make leprechaun traps before dinner, to set on when they went to bed, to see if they could trap one. They never managed, but the leprechaun was always a good sport, and would leave them chocolate coins for their efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's Nick's birthday today, but we celebrated over the weekend, as he has volleyball this evening, while Sam has soccer. We'll be doing a non traditional chicken caesar salad for dinner, but at least 'eating' our greens. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sliced a green zuchini into the pasta dish. That was my green.

      Delete
  10. Other than nipping into the odd Irish bar in Liverpool when I was younger I've never done anything to celebrate this day. I don't even celebrate St George's Day!

    I'm not managing anything particularly exciting in terms of mealtimes but we manage to get a bit of variety so we call that good enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to look up what St George's day is. I'll miss the happy hour. It's always fun.

      Delete
  11. I am not Irish but see no reason to forego the celebration part of it. I have corned beef brisket in the crockpot and a grasshopper mousse in the fridge. All I have to do is cook the cabbage and potatoes (optional) and hope the tornados that are forecast do not really happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have joined you. I ended up doing crockpot mock lasagna with veg.

      Delete
  12. Nothing exciting going on around here. When my great grandma was alive we always attended the St. Patrick's Day parade and had a huge family reunion that day. (Both my great grandparents immigrated from Ireland). Now that I am grown and most of the elders have died that tradition has died off as well. Today is just a normal Wednesday around here with tutoring, kids needing picked up and dropped off at school, etc. I did make up some green jello though that I will let the kids have as a snack after dinner! And the kids and I are wearing our green today! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Green jello brings back memories of my mom making it. St Paul still had a sort of parade.

      Delete
  13. You Americans love your St Patrick's Day celebrations, don't you? It's not something we celebrate although Liz's Dad was from Dublin so we're raising a glass in Bill's memory tonight!
    Snap! We had cauliflower & broccoli cheese with our tea tonight, I always add a big dollop of English mustard to mine! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, people like a good reason/excuse to party. Americans like the celebration of our immigrant relations it seems more than immigrants. Cinco de Mayo and suddenly everyone's got tacos and Margaritas in hand.

      Delete
  14. We don't even get around to celebrating St George's day. Occasionally I've enjoyed a pint of Guinness by way of marking it, but I don't have any Irish ancestry. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some Irish but its more a bar holiday to have get togethers.

      Delete
  15. My mom always made potato pancakes for St. Patrick's Day when I was a kid!

    Your cauliflower au gratin sounds AMAZING! I usually just roast it and we eat it plain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like roasted, but felt like something different, and the cauliflower au gratin just happened. Nice memory from your childhood.

      Delete
  16. Thank you for the recipes. I'll try both. I've no Irish in me, and we've never celebrated the day, but I do like the traditional foods! Celie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normally just a pub/bar holiday for us, but fun. Lots of sandwiches too.

      Delete
  17. I seemed to run all day today. Hubs and I did the weekly shop and then clean the house and cook. Now I am tired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you have leftovers from your earlier Irish feast?

      Delete
  18. SIL #4 actually cooked corned beef and cabbage with stout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. I don't know how my palate would like that dark beer taste.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.