Wednesday, March 10, 2021

My Wednesday Pantry-Borrowing from Meal Kits

      It's been slim in the new recipe department this week. Chicken lo mein was new to us, but it really was chicken cooked in the General Tsao Asian sauce from Aldi and soy sauce, then stirred through with vegetables, and spaghetti noodles. (I read a hack that someone did not tell any difference between using  spaghetti  and expensive lo mein noodles-I liked it with the spaghetti as well).

For the picture; I didn't use chopsticks to eat. That skill has slipped.

     The verdict is still out as to whether I'll try a starter deal on meal kits for the week my daughter is home. I love the idea of more variety, simple direction, the right amounts all ready for a novice like DD2 in the kitchen to try out. having just the right amount of ingredients avoiding buying anything special is a bonus. The cost per meal and the amount of packaging though is a turn off. She told me, frugal college kid she is now, they are ridiculously expensive and she can learn to cook without them. But, I've gotten a few tips from people who have used the kits and often they make the sides at least, with ingredients they have in their house for future meals. 

On Saturday  Hawaii Plan mentioned an apple-carrot slaw, then shared in her comments it was a Hello Fresh recipe. 

The recipe for the slaw was really easy (it was a Hello Fresh recipe). The amount below served 2 generously:
-4 oz shredded carrots
-1 scallion/green onion, chopped
-1 small apple, thinly sliced
-2 tbsp mayo
-4 tsp white wine vinegar

You make a dressing out of the mayo & vinegar. Combine the carrots, apple & scallions, then add in the dressing. Season with salt & pepper.

Quick, easy & using pantry staples.

My version of apple-carrot slaw.

     I had neither green onions or scallions, nor white wine vinegar, so I gave it a try substituting yellow onion, and apple cider vinegar. We had this on Sunday with the tuna hotdish, and it was good but a bit off with the hotdish. I plan to make a bit tomorrow  to go with country style ribs and I think it will be terrific. The onion perhaps a bit stronger than the green onions might have been, but I love apple cider dressings anyway, so that was a winning substitute. Of course I don't know what the original was supposed to taste like. It's rare I wouldn't have each of these ingredients on hand, so having a side available on hand anytime is great. HP answered Anne's question on a Cherry Sauce too-take a look. She's so creative to reconfigure these recipes, and I love how her son is enjoying his cooking time-what life long skills he is learning.

     I Googled around, my favorite thing to do these days, for other meal kit hacks, using their recipes, but with ingredients you buy yourself. I found this article, My Brilliant and Slightly Ethically Questionable Way to Use Meal Kits . The comments, and I agree, not unethical as I think it is a marketing strategy to get people to buy. Its no different than picking up a recipe card in the grocery store from a brand, but then buying generic versions. Some people will buy the brand though that otherwise would the recipe promotion is banking on. I think that's likely the same for meal kits that share recipes on their sites. 

     I haven't been in a Super Target since  Stay at Home went into effect-the three nearest to me are  smallish stores, but the one by work was huge. They had an endcap with complete meals kits-$25 I think and advertised  they would feed four+ people. I don't see them on-line, so maybe was a trial. I see Aldi has added a simple menu planner on the front page of their ad too. I am sure these ideas are a great help to  families with so much on their plate that to have one less thing to think about, and not resort to take out, is appreciated. 

     Have you tried the kits and if so which ones? Do you have recipe favorites that you've switched to buying your own ingredients for?

26 comments:

  1. I have no need or desire for a meal kit but I can see their value if you like to experiment in the kitchen. I have always just cooked a few times a week using leftovers on alternate days. Sunday I made a big pot of white chicken chili (very good) and this morning I made 2 quiches from scratch- fresh spinach I chopped up, mushrooms I cleaned and chopped, diced onions, eggs, half and half and a little shredded cheese- Gruyere and Swiss mainly. I froze one already- wrapped it well- and will be eating the other one all week. I cut it into 8 pieces. I don't need anything with it but I have lots of frozen vegetables and strawberries. I'd ask DD what she'd like to learn to cook- my older daughter made a killer breaded chicken she served with fettucine and a cheesy sauce- not very healthy but entirely from scratch and she could make a great lasagna. Younger daughter has never been interested in cooking but fortunately, he husband enjoys it. My son is more into fish/vegetable meals that only take a few minutes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She loves pasta, so I think different sauces would be a good place for her to start. Also, Asian inspired dishes, and Indian inspired. Let's add Mexican as well-basically she likes flavor!

      Delete
  2. I've never used a meal kit as I'm sure it wouldn't only be the price that would put me off. A couple of years ago I saw an offer on a "diet" plan where the actual meals were delivered to your home and they told you what to eat. Well what a waste of time that was - I can make WAY better food myself and a lot cheaper, although not calorie-counted of course - hence the need for a diet plan, I guess. But in any case I wouldn't want to be locked into this kind of plan anyway because I know I never follow them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister who during golf season works , no exaggeration, 8 0 hours a week, used the Nutrisystem meal plans and lost a good 40 pounds, and periodically orders when she eels a bit stressed and likely to eat food not great at her club. She uses as a backup to maintain.

      Delete
  3. I have never used kits, way too expensive. I'm a sale shopper so I can make similar meals for way less. Why pay more for perfectly portioned ingredients? If there are some ingredients that are left I just create another meal or two to use them up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be a sle shopper again when I venture to more stores, but for now, I'm a store brand or loss leader in a single store a week.

      Delete
  4. Frankly, I think the cost of a meal kit would make me lose my appetite, particularly with the abundance of recipe sites/blogs, and my own supply of cookbooks. I don't think it's at all unethical to go on a meal kit website, get a recipe, and use your own ingredients. It's no different than going to, say, the King Arthur Flour website, and getting a recipe for a cake, but using store brand flour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. for those that really do not have a back ground at all in the kitchen and otherwise would do a lot of take out, I think they have a place. I can also see them as a nice starter for a teen, but over the long run, way to much to spend and way to mush waste for regular eating, for my preference.

      Delete
  5. I've never felt the need to try a meal kit. For baking I follow recipes but when cooking I just use a recipe as a sort of template. Most times I just get cooking. I've been doing it so long I know what spices, herbs and ingredients work well together. Learning all the ins and outs of cooking made it so I don't necessarily need a recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I might like to try one for a dish that I'd never look for the recipe for, and want to try something very new to me. I too think I can wing it in my kitchen though for the most part.

      Delete
  6. Slaw is something I rarely think of but it's such a great idea. I'm going to start making it. thanks! I just got some mint mayo and may mix a little of that, which kind of defeats the healthy purpose, but still. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so glad for the idea-it was a nice fresh side dish.

      Delete
  7. I have ever entertained the idea of using a meal kit. It is too expensive and just not interesting. I can cook well. I like what I cook. If I cannot stand long enough to cook that means meal kits, too. I cannot see how it would be wrong to use any recipe. If a recipe is published, it is there to use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they are not meant to aim at the veteran in the kitchen, but rushed singles and couples, and those with no knowledge-yet.

      Delete
  8. I've seen the meal kits at our Target as well. They are more expensive then the actual delivery service, as far as I can tell. We've kept all of our recipe cards, and will likely make most of the recipes again. There have been a few duds, but we've overall liked the flavors quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ones I saw by my Target seemed comparable, but looking on line, you are right-quite expensive. I appreciate you shared the recipe-it was a winner.

      Delete
  9. I think meal kits are ridicules and super expensive, but daughter and I think that they could teach one to cook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they have a place-not for life long, but to get someone started to enjoy making a meal they created when normally they'd do take out.

      Delete
  10. Is it ethical to be inspired by a meal and try to recreate it on your own?!? Is Sam’s Club unethical for selling broccoli cheese soup and baguette that taste just like Panera? Is it unethical to search “copycat” Panda Express recipes? It’s 45 minutes away and I rarely get to go so I can’t honestly make something at home that tastes like it? I’m going to shake my head and move on from that one. JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it is unethical-I thought the article was kind of dumb, but thought I'd share and see what you all think. Verdict-totally fine googling hacks and copy cats!

      Delete
    2. Sorry if I came off with that being directed towards you lol! The article was indeed very dumb and I had to step on my mini-soap box for a minute ;) JoAnn

      Delete
    3. Haha-no problem at all. I think the writer was grasping for subject matter!

      Delete
  11. Most my recipes, I switch & use ingredients I have. Most recent, made a goulash & added mixed veggies in it to up our veggie servings. Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun once you have a handle on a recipe to try what flavors we like, or have on hand.

      Delete
  12. All of my son's have used meal kits and have enjoyed them. Now one son still has them delivered for 3 meals every week. For them it is a time saver more than a money saver, but for them their time has value also. (Plus my son is a really good cook, but DIL, not so much. This allows her to make a few meals)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think they make sense for some lifestyles-and isn't that a good thing that people have choices.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.