Saturday, March 20, 2021

Saturday Somethings

      I keep trying to remember this is a blip in time, and will be something  future generations will look back on as we do before polio vaccines, and the Flu epidemic after WWI. All kinds of living is still happening now, of course with bigger burdens for some more than others. I  know I whine more than I should as I am probably on the spectrum with minimum disruptions. Anne's Friday Joy posts prompted me to change up my Positively Tuesday to  a simple pleasure post. Babies have been born, people have met new friends, even if virtually (thank you blog world), there's been engagements, and weddings, and first home buying. 

     Even with trying to find the joy, and the simple pleasures, even those of us impacted the least have our off days. Anne mentioned one day, and this is a challenge for me a bit, she did not utter a single word to anyone for almost an entire day since her husband is working such long hours. A blessing, I'm sure, that they have income, but the long hours are not how any of us want to spend our days. I'm fortunate that I at least talk to people through the computer every day, but the scaled back hours DH had last spring to 6:00, then pushed to 7:00, and now he pretty much is rarely home before 8:00. Once home, he eats, watches a little TV, and I am already pretty beat so we don't interact that much.  We've tried to make Sunday a day together. If the weather is as nice as today, I think I'll make us up a packed lunch and head for a drive and a new to us park. Covid or no Covid, that sounds like a pretty decent spring Sunday. 

     We wait our turn for a vaccine. Every day he goes to work, I worry someone, even someone who has been cautious, might unknowingly spread Covid to him. I have flat out told him that when I find a vaccine slot, he must drop everything at work and take it! I'm happy every time I hear someone in my family and circle of friends either gets vaccinated or has family members that do, while admittedly, envious. Still, I have at least three full months of working from home, and with the nicer weather, more time to see people outside. In all honesty, crabby days aside, I think I did better over the winter than I really expected I would mentally. Maybe my jam packed work schedule helped that. I don't know if I had the same degree of cabin fever I normally have in January and February-even in the bitter cold stretch. 

     Today, I might be meeting up with a couple friends. They all still have kids at home so things come up. If not, I'm going to do a litter and a stick collection walk. I gathered few more sticks, and a part of a branch yesterday afternoon with pup. Yeah-just got text confirming at least one friend is free, so it is a go! There's a flower art display downtown and some live outdoor music until 6:00. We just made the plan to walk by the river, and then enjoy some music outside and maybe a coffee, wine or beer. Since we are meeting at 1:30, I better get some stuff done around here. Thanks for  hanging out with me this Saturday morning. 

22 comments:

  1. I think it as good exercise and a good sign too if one can go through a day without needing to speak a word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it would make for better listening.

      Delete
  2. Have a great time today and hope you are able to go out for that drive with your hubs tomorrow. Happy spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a nice catchup. Only three of our little circle of five in this group,which led to good talking.

      Delete
  3. I tend to agree with Ur-spo, while you wouldn't want it all the time I think it's not such a bad thing going a whole day without speaking to someone. Either that or you end up talking to yourself but then sometimes that's the only way to have an intelligent conversation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're all so wise! I talk to the tv, so not sure what that says.

      Delete
  4. Hope you have a lovely Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Sam, What do you do with the sticks you collect? Is it to use them or simply to remove them from the ground? I often remove sticks or the like from the sidewalk, even pieces of hardware such as screws if people could trip on them. Incidentally, I keep the screws, nails, washers and so forth--they come in handy surprisingly often.
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Multiple purposes. It gets them off the walking and bike path, safety, plus the larger ones removed for the park mowers. Really though, they make great kindling for our fire pit. We love back yard fires.

      Delete
  6. I may be the odd one out, (labelled as much by teachers and peers when I was younger) but I could easily go entire days without uttering a word to another person. On the other hand, those who know me say I am very talkative and gregarious. When DH worked, there were days on end when he wasn't home. Instead of sitting around being miserable, I tried to appreciate those nights for what they had to offer instead...the chance to get the kids to bed very early, eat alone, or not at all, read a book in silence, etc.
    I am in communication with a cousin of my mother. He has shared some of the things they went through as high schoolers/college students through WWII. I hate to be *that* person, but, compared to that age group, we ARE a bunch of whiners when it comes to the safeguards in place to prevent further spread of COVID. Oh, no! Can't go out to a bar. Woe is me. Ack, this mask fogs up my glasses. Try blackouts, air raid drills, rations, and reading that the kid who sat next to you in band last year didn't make it home. He, and his contemporaries, seem really to be taking this in stride. I understand people feel isolated, but, honestly, if somebody is not comfortable within their own skin and in their own homes, problems run deeper than a pandemic. I sort of lost patience with Would-Be-College-Boy's whining about being stopped in his tracks. I finally told him he might as well enjoy it for what it's worth, because soon enough he'll be complaining that he's too busy with his class schedule/studies to relax. If he had any sense, he'd appreciate all this extra time to spend with his father.
    But, apparently complaining, feeling sorry for himself, and moping about the house is more enjoyable. I *do* have a situation with a relative--she could really use me there, but not at the cost of exposing myself in an airplane, and making her sick. That hardship, however, has more to do with my choice to move to this coast and our animals than the pandemic. Even in the best of times getting to the east coast was a logistical nightmare. In any case, the vaccine roll outs continue. Our state is doing a stellar job of it. Better days are to come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel sorry for young people- and yes, it's not even comparable to the sacrifices of WWII, but still is a major dustuption in their life plans. My youngest is doing the opposite of moping-maybe taking on too much, but she may be using opportunity she wouldn't have had to build her resume with a virtual volunteer research and outreach project for a non-profit. My son is learning and dabbling a bit in investing. It's a small risk financially, but both increases his connections and knowledge, and may be lucrative. My older daughter self published two poetry anthologies plus wrote a screenplay with a friend, and launched a small nonprofit. They've all moped too!

      Delete
  7. How does pup react to all your stick-picking? Maybe he can join in...lol. I agree with Meg B. I feel very lucky to be well. I have not been down longer than one minute. When I feel the sadness coming on, I immediately dismiss it from my mind and focus on the fact I do not have the virus. Maybe this is the wrong way to handle it, but it works for me. Of course, having allergies and regular head stuff I always have keeps me uncomfortable, but not with a life-threatening virus. I am frustrated at the lack of access to the vaccine, but nothing to threaten my mental health. I do need a proper haircut, but I am getting better at cutting it myself. Amazon Prime has helped me to stay out of stores or limited my time in a store. Looking for the proper size of pen needles or the razors Tommy wants is now eliminated! I know this pandemic will recede, at least somewhat, and I am happy to be alive. I cannot feel sorry for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could pick up more without his help. I feel bad for businesses impacted and the hate and politicizing.

      Delete
  8. I am Ok going a day without speaking to anyone, but after that my very extroverted self starts to feel like an animal in a cage. Staying away from others has been very hard for me, but spring is here and we can start having some distanced get togethers outside with friends who have been vaccinated.
    I have erred on the side of caution throughout this process and will continue to do so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People have different social needs. I too like being with people but too feel it is important to be cautious.

      Delete
  9. Sam, I hope you and your dh can get a vaccine soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will when its our turn! (I do too-trying to be positive.)

      Delete
  10. I thought I'd go mad when we first went into lockdown, I love chatting to strangers and straiking up ranadom conversations but truth be told, I'd forgotten how much I love my own (and Jon's company) although the poor postman can't get away fast enough some mornings! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how you have made the best out of the situation and for you, what a lifestyle change during your festival season. DH and I have good days when we talk, but can get on each others nerves-though to be fair, I feel bad on his day off and him feeling like he has to tip toe around his own home when I'm working.

      Delete
  11. I rode with one of Hubby's friends and about an hour into the drive me made the comment that Hubby and I were a lot of like (not really as I am an introvert and he is not) and I ask why he thought that... neither of us talk while riding in a car. Guess that's because we were both raised to not distract the driver with conversation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny-we drilled into all our new drivers that they need to be paying attention to the road, not their friends in the car.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.