Sunday, April 4, 2021

March Wrap Up and Meal Planning

      I ended up spending $514 in March on household, grocery, and Health and Beauty. We well exceeded the eating out/entertainment budget but since those categories have been small in previous months this year, I'm good. Another month of these essentials have started. No challenge month for April, but would like it to be on budget since we have some expenses in May-two weddings, both outdoors, and a confirmation. We've got another cluster of graduations in June as well. That's a lot if gift spending.

     I didn't menu plan last week but did make some meals from my list. It was a staycation week, anId we had take out lunches and a few conevience food meals, but health wise, still wanted to keep the added fat, calories, and sodium that comes with premade meals and restaurant food moderately in check.

  • Sunday: Papa Murphy's
  • Monday: Chow mein and egg rolls
  • Tuesday: Gyros, tator rounds
  • Wednesday: Vegetable Curry, DH 
  • Thursday: Late Chipotle lunch, no supper
  • Friday: baked chicken over salad greens with peppers, cukes, carrots DD2 leftover curry
  • Saturday: Chicken lo mein

     This week will be a long work week for both of us. If weather is nice, I'll want to be outside as soon as I can log off, not tied to kitchen, so looking to both crockpot and make ahead items.

  • Sunday: Easter Dinner-ham, cheesy potaties, Swiss vegetable medley, broccoli salad, coleslaw, crescent rolls, no bake strawberry cheese cake. No supper obviously!
  • Monday: Left overs (and feed college kid before she heads back)
  • Tuesday: Red bag chicken on brioche buns, salad
  • Wednesday: Quiche with ham, broccoli,and cheese
  • Thursday: Crockpot mock lasagna
  • Friday: Tuna hotdish
  • Saturday: Home made pizza

     I'll bring DH's mom some ham and cheese cake as she gets home Monday, but made conservative amounts of sides which we'll eat up. DD2 will be sent back with a few sandwiches and cheesecake as well. I sure don't need left overs of that. I'll freeze what I don't think will get eaten this week. The bone might linger, fall even, for a while unless we get another cold front and I feel like making soup. As always, this is more a haevy suggestion than a set in stone plan. What's being enjoyed in your home this week?


14 comments:

  1. I hope you enjoyed your time off. It's so important to recharge your batteries, even if it is only for a day or two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm easing back in to work, behind the scenes. I got some things taken care of while my daughter was still sleeping, then hung with her for a couple hours before we loaded her up. I do feel a bit more fresh!

      Delete
  2. Easter dinner (late lunch, really) is a roast turkey with stuffing, mashed potatoes, roasted carrots and a jello salad. Dessert is a white bunny cut-out cake. It's a homemade white cake frosted, with chantilly icing, with raspberry sauce between the layers. I hard boiled 18 eggs for the kids to color yesterday, but they all went to a roller skating rink instead, so plan on coloring them for something to do later today. I ate two of the eggs yesterday while doing some prep work for today's lunch. I'm guessing deviled eggs and egg salad will figure prominently into the coming week's meals.
    Tomorrow we will probably have ravioli, as something with a spicy tomato sauce always follows a day full of comfort food in this house. Tuesday will see us using leftover turkey in some manner. Wednesday, I have the neighbor's 8 year-old daughter for the day until I drive to town to pick up her older brother, who is my youngest's friend. I will probably pick up fast food for all the kids, and DH and I will finish leftovers. That brings me to Thursday, and I'm thinking tuna casserole. Friday I am planning on making beer battered cod and oven fries. After that, it's anyone's guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe I didn't even think to make deviled eggs. Well, with just me and the kid around on Saturday, I was prepping other sides, and she didn't mention. DH wants a sandwich out of some of the leftover ham-srt of a ham Reuben. He can have tonight with the leftovers from lunch today and yesterdays late lunch.

      Delete
  3. All sounds good Sam. I hope you and your family have a nice Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope yours was nice as well. We had outdoor church, then an overcooked ham! Still delicious, but I should have taken it out a good 30-45 minutes earlier than I did.

      Delete
  4. Easter dinner, between lunch time and dinner time, will be ham, sweet potatoes, slaw, green bean casserole, fruit salad. Only the slaw and fruit salad need to be made. It seems like I have something else planned...lol. Monday will be ham and something. Then, more chicken and vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you will be eating well this week.

      Delete
  5. Today we're having kebabs & rice, but M & I did squeeze in a glass of champagne during the egg hunt. We typically have mimosas, but mixed it up, as it was later than usual thanks to soccer.

    For the rest of the week, we'll have grilled chicken & ravioli, leftover kebabs, tacos, takeout on Thursday (my parents arrive & it will be a busy schedule to do the airport pickup + sports), & Friday we're heading to Napa while my parents are with the kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about popping the cork on a bottle of prosecco, but with us both having the vaccine and not knowing how we might still react, I thought I'd skip alcohol-even no hard seltzer on Saturday for me. good thing as I did wake up about 5:00 this a.m. with a headache and some tummy discomfort, but a couple tylenols, a big glass of water, and another two hours of sleep and I woke again feeling well.

      Delete
  6. Hi, New commenter here. I found you from someone's blog as I was wandering down the blog rabbit hole. :) I'll be following along. And don't think you are boring. The 2 posts I read are exactly the kind I like. :D I have blog too, but I write very sporadically. Come on over if you'd like.
    http://prairie-quilts-and-kolaches.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to meet you Kay, and I will pop over. I see the topic is something I appreciate but am terrible at-quilt making!

      Delete
  7. Nice Easter here- no church but I read my bible for an hour before I went to daughter's for a good meal. Just her in-laws who were vaccinated before me and the 2 grandsons- oldest just had no time off but came home and left when I did around 5 PM. I gave the boys both $50 which they immediately deposited with one of those bank apps I do not know how to use LOL. We had prime rib, smashed potatoes, broccoli salad and a rice dressing MIL always makes plus 3 desserts. It's back on the Mediterranean plan- creamed spinach today and mainly veggies this week. I'm debating whether to go to Aldi- I only shopped twice last month but spent plenty with my new appliances. You have lots of events coming up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a bit uneasy still on these weddings-I mean, one couple has been engaged forever, but decide now is the right time, and th eother just got engaged last fall, and only dated a year before getting engaged (on anniversary of first date), so again, not sure why pushing it during a pandemic. Not my choices I guess. Yoru Easter sounds so nice-glad all your carefulness has paid off an dnow you get to be with your family. Love three deset part.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.