Monday, April 26, 2021

Monday-Feeling Good in the Slow Lane


     This might be a good topic for my Thrifty Thursday Resources section, because it is all about using what  I have in my closet or in my home before looking elsewhere. It's also about finding previously loved items that no longer work for others before jumping with both feet into the regular retail market-avoiding fast fashion and fast home decor. It's about me trying to feel good about my appearance, my home, my diet, and taking the slow lane to do so. I have lots of blogger buddies to learn tips and strategies from.

     While I didn't have bad side effects from the shot, fatigue was definitely a part of my weekend. I took the time to do a lot of thinking, even if I didn't get much more than basic housework done. Saturday afternoon to get a change of scenery I went to my daughters for the afternoon. I had offered to pick something up for us for lunch, but practical daughter that I raised, declined and said she had  healthy stuff already made. She had recently done a closet purge, of which 50% or more was already thrifted items, as she added several new to her items. Besides the two pairs of jeans I got her last weekend, she found two skirts and three tops for the small some of $20. All were good quality pieces. 

     She also had spent time rearranging her apartment-moving a small table from her kitchen and a chair from her bedroom to create an  office nook in her dining room. She moved a padded bench to her kitchen from the living room, freeing up a lovely spot in her by window for big floor cushions to make a reading nook and more floor space for yoga and exercise. When I was there, she decided to swap her red larger rug to put under her dining room table, and the rag rung, in her living room. Both made a wonderful change. The pop of red on the linoleum made the dining room feel warmer, and the mor muted colors of the rag rug  were cozier than the red  in her living room. These changes cost her nothing. I wish I had before and after pictures. 

     On Sunday, DH was tired and slept most of the afternoon so she and I did a little shopping. Well, groceries, and a wander in Goodwill after dropping off her donations. Her little, but big impact changes prompted me to buy the 99 cent placemat above at Goodwill on Sunday, to swap out m fall colored table runner. I'll take a look at the other crystal bowls I have and do a swap out until fall, and put the pine cones aside. Another purchase was this vest, in a style I know my younger daughter will love as she searched for a few years for a jacket like this, finding something similar, but not quite, last summer with friends at a second hand store. This vest over a zip up hoody will suit her to a T. 


     I had a few items, dress pants for myself, that I was going to buy. Then, here's where thinking came in, I realized I already had pretty much the exact pants in my closet already. Even thrifted, I don't need to have excess of the same type clothing item. I couldn't resist a look in the book section. These will go to the lake for total fluff, summer  lake reads, and likely get circulated, then redonated. 

     My daughter and I have both committed to reducing the fast fashion and home decor in our lives. It makes financial sense for us both as I save towards retirement and travel and she saves towards her house and travel-and starting to build long term financial savings. Just as, if not more important, it will help in a tiny part to reduce some of the waste in the world. I'm pretty sure  my younger daughter will be game for this challenge as well, as besides being a broke college student, she is socially and environmentally  progressive. I will cut myself some slack for finding a dress for the upcoming weddings, but will do a good look in my closet and add only what is missing and that  I should get a lot of wears out of. The last thing I should do is make a one time purchase to then have it hang on a clothes rod for years not to be worn again. I'll keep popping in on this subject as the rest of the year goes on, but please share your wins in moving into the slow lane as far as fashion goes. 


20 comments:

  1. I've tried to overall reduce my consumption (doing much better with this). Working from home also means I can wear things much longer, and need less variety.

    I've really loved the local Buy Nothing group. I've picked up a few new (to me) items on there, but mostly, I can use it to give something away to someone. If I donate it, there's a possibility it will get tossed, so by matching my item up with someone who wants it, hopefully it gets more life & usage.

    I love the group as well, as the entire goal is to reduce purchases of everything. You see people ask to borrow items for a weekend, or giving away food they bought that didn't work out for their family, or sharing baby items as their kids age, etc. Love to see all of this contributing to more usage & less waste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the buy nothing groups also give a sense of community-and who doesn't want and need that right now! I know there are those critical that say the economy would crumble if every one stopped spending, but I see that people will spend differently-experiences not stuff. Slowly, I think the business world would adapt to less consumerism with other types of businesses.

      Delete
  2. I laughed when you mentioned wearing clothes for a long time. The other day Iit was a little chilly and I needed a top with a little weight to it. I pulled out one and put ti on. The first time I wore it was when Son3 had surgery fir his first set of tubes when he was about 5 months old. The top still has a lot of life left in it so I continue to wear it every year. Needless to say, I do not go along with the fast fashion trend either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two years ago my girls made me throw a dress I swear I bough tin 1995. It was oversize then, an dover the years it was a grab and go staple for me-very forgiving as the pounds went on. My favorite sweatshirt is one I got Christmas 1995-I remember a s my sil that passed away the following summer after her car accident had drawn my name, and it was from her. A few summers ago my nice had forgotten a sweatshirt and just grabbed that to put on. She said it was the best sweatshirt! I think dressing appropriately for the occasion, season, or event, in clothes that make us feel good, is what matters, not what year or decade purchased or made in.

      Delete
  3. That is a good challenge to take on. I've gone so far with it that I'd probably be considered somewhat of a minimalist and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have too much clutter to be considered a minimalist, but am trying to do the 2-3 things for every thing brought in. I need to find 4 books to move out of my house now since I bought two. My daughter has a lot of purging to do, though she is worried she won't be able to afford clothes for a long while, so hesitant to give up anything that still fits and she likes.

      Delete
  4. I've been in the slow fashion lane for years. My wardrobe consists mostly of knee-length denim skirts and leggings in the winter, and long denim skirts with sandals, or skorts with t-shirts and running shoes in the summer. The space I need for my clothing is becoming increasingly smaller, but, I am not required to dress nicely for a job outside the home. With the exception of shoes, I get most of my clothing from thrift shops. When I need a new garment, I do like J.C. Penney's St. John's Bay t-shirts, but I am not sure if they are ethically sourced. I think I will accept this challenge. DD has already insisted on only having cruelty free HBA in the house. I've enjoyed meeting that challenge within my self imposed budgetary constraints. I think this would be another fun project for us! I'll keep you posted on our progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do a lot more label reading than we have before-from where things are made to how tested. IF second hand, I would less worry about the original source, since the damage was already done. There was just a line in a Dr Who episode I recently watched, where a species was basically made slaves by humans. When the companion said "we don't have slavery any more" the doctor responded something like "where do you think your clothes come from."

      Delete
  5. I am not a fast fashion icon either. I have suits that I wear to church that I have had for over 20 years. Now they are a little more snug, should probably do something about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finally had to pass on a few suits that just were not working size wise, but I'd have kept them if they fit. When we were going to live church, we went to the casual contemporary church-no dressing up!

      Delete
  6. Since I've retired, and more especially since covid, my wardrobe is pretty horrendous. BUT, on the positive side, everything is REALLY getting used up/worn out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had been more in a buying mood, and had already sorted out my closet, I would have had a field day finding like new great items in the thrift store. Even being in a bigger size. My girls with their tiny figures literally have as much choice as if they went to a mall!

      Delete
  7. You and your daughter would love the book I read a few weeks ago, Loved Clothes Last, if you ever have a compulsion to buy new it'll stop you in your tracks.
    A brilliant challenge.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will look for it in my library-not buy it! Yes, I am appalled when I read how garments are made so cheaply, and know I have to be part of the solution to stop the demand.

      Delete
  8. I have only two items that are over two-years old. But, I never buy trendy items. I pass up up items because I know next year they will be dated. I have been in the slow lane all my life as far as fashion goes, and I love it here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If something is worn every few days, it certainly will have a shorter life span, but basics that are gently worn are good for a decade!

      Delete
  9. I try to dress better when I go to work, but mostly what I wear looks like something the cat dragged in. I can't recall when I last bought new clothes other than underwear. I need to get rid of home decor, not add to it. I like your challenge! Good luck with it. Celie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to look at redecorating my house with moving things-not replacing with new to me stuff. Now that it looks like I will probably always work at least 1/2 time for home, and I have another 6 years minimum in the work place, having a fresh home is more important, but it also means I need half the out of the house clothes I previously needed.

      Delete
  10. I'm learn so much from bloggers and places I never heard of.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a wealth of good information from our friends, isn't there!

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.