Tuesday, May 25, 2021

Positively Tuesday

 


     I was about to type it is the last Tuesday in May and then I caught myself. Then, I got myself again because yes, it is the final Positively Tuesday for May. I will be sorry to see May go as it was a pretty good month all things considered. While the heat has been unusual and my northern blood didn't have proper time to fully adjust, most days were filled with sunshine. the week of on again off again rain was sorely needed after so many weeks of dryness, and not only did lawns green up, all the tress (except our sad dyeing maple) are full. The thing I can mutter about are the torrential rains came just a day or two after the lilac bushes were in full bloom, and the wind decimated them. I also can mutter about the damn squirrels-one of who has burrowed down into on of my planters. Now that I have fully got the May calendar in my head, here in no particular order are my simple pleasures and positive sightings and experiences of the week. 

  1. The girls and I went for a later walk by the river. My knee was acting up but I managed  probably 20 minutes walking in full, but then we also sat on a swing bench and watched the amazing sunset. The picture on this post is from my older daughter.
  2. The ability to work outside on my porch or the deck a few hours each day. It doesn't really work so well when I am managing meetings and need multiple files open since I rely on multiple screens, but when I'm head down on a budget, a word document, or developing a presentation, the fresh air and feeling of being outside helps my concentration. I tune out, or rather let the sounds of kids, cars, lawn care be like white noise. 
  3. Scheduling a wedding outside in Minnesota any time of year is tricky, but into the spring more so Coupled with a week of rain, and predictions of spotty thunderstorms predicted all week, both my nephews' weddings were on perfect May days. (two nephews, two weddings-not the same one twice lol).
  4. I'm really not an air conditioning kind of person, but when the humidity was lingering at 90% but the rain didn't come but the temperatures were soaring,  things were getting so awful, the varnish on our wood railing was gummy. It didn't take long to run to get the inside of the house a stable temperature and dehumidify. In moderation. Central air is a simple pleasure. 
  5. I used the Kohls' cash I earned from my dress purchases to buy ne dish towels that actually match my kitchen. To my new to me rule, I bought 6 new dish towels, and will purge 12-48 items, which won't be hard as I have a rag bag that can be tossed and many of my old towels can go in the rag bag. Plus, incentive to get rid of more clothes in my closet. 
  6. We got a picture with my seven remaining siblings on Sunday. The last group photo we have with all of us in it was the Christmas 2012, the first one after both my parents had passed and my sisters last Christmas. 
  7. It was a fallish meal, but in yet another attempt to jump start better eating, I made a massive pan of both roasted vegetables, and a separate one of roasted sweet potatoes. Now that I have a working scale again (digital one started working, but I haven't yet returned the new one I bought) I am doing daily weigh ins,. I know the fluctuation can be water, time of day, clothing etc., but those factors aside, it seems to be what motivates me-seeing numbers go down or up, to eat healthier and push for just a few more minutes of exercise. Packing the vegetables on my plate helped me feel full and satisfied. 
  8. I am grateful for my Nike light weight (hell no) running  shoes as they are the best tennis shoes for my feet I have owned. Sadly, they are on their last few months I think if that, so I need to start tracking down a new pair. 
  9. I had to pause between 7 and 5:15 to write this one. Today has been a beast of a day , and I am so glad to be 90% done with it, and that the major problem was resolved. A simple pleasure will b going to bed tonight not trouble shooting what needs to be resolved. 
  10. Pup barking at me telling me it is time to put the computer aside and take him for a walk. Pets put things in perspective, and while I still have more to do, I'll take the break to walk him and make dinner, then get back to work. 

He's really insistent so we better go. Enjoy your Tuesday night. 

17 comments:

  1. My cat paws at me while I'm on the computer - they can be very insistent! I don't know a single person here with air conditioning. They are only standard in offices and businesses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't use it often, but when things are melting, we have to do something or the hosue will fall apart! I'm exaggerating, but it was nice to have. I'd prefer ocean breezes and open windows.

      Delete
  2. Well, I will try to reply and see what happens. Occasionally when I hit Publish my thoughts get lost somewhere on the interwebs and not in your comments where they belong. We splurged, and bought a pool! I’m awfully excited about it even though the weather for the next two weeks is not pool weather. I found a beautiful green two piece tankini and a fun coverup and it wasn’t painful at all. I’ve lost 25 pounds since January 1 but am currently comforting myself with a bag of Doritos. Frustration from work, end of school year emotions and other things are weighing me down and I’m choosing to medicate myself with junk food-but just for tonight. Your daughter’s photo is stunning! I can’t believe May is all but over, although my dad’s birthday, the grad parade, graduation, a grad party and Memorial Day will keep us busy the rest of the month. JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've lost nothing-nothing! Enjoy that pool-what kind? One of the large pump ones, but permanent? Enjoy-I think it will be a hot one. Also, enjoy the events at end of year. Some life for the kids has come back and its good.

      Delete
    2. Yep it’s an 18 ft metal frame one with a pump. It’s permanent. Next step is figure out some landscaping around around it.

      Delete
  3. I weigh every day and use that weight to see if I am on track. I can forge on with eating less of certain things, not eating others, or happy to lose weight. I know it is against the "rules," but it works for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I break that rule too. It is better for me to see the day to day changes. It's too easy for me to lie to myself.

      Delete
  4. Overall it sounds like a fantastic week Sam! Sorry today was a beast, sounds like a double Monday kind of Tuesday lol. I hope you finish up soon and have a great evening. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll have weeks of beast like days, so just need to get on with them.

      Delete
  5. The picture is so beautiful! What an amazing sunset!
    Thank you for sharing.
    Hope that work eases up a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She took a lot of really nice shots, but this was the favorite.

      Delete
  6. I've lost bugger all weight-wise, despite repeatedly saying I'm "definitely going to do it this time"! Oh well, I'll think about it when my son moves out (it will definitely be easier)! I'm glad the weather was kind to your two nephews. It can be dodgy can't it - and that picture is just stunning! Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I let food be my stress comfort instead of doing something healthy. My daughter is starting this 75 something. I might piggyback with her 75 days of healthy stuff.

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful sunset. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  8. An outdoor wedding in MN sounds almost brazen in gambling.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.