Friday, June 25, 2021

The Friday Wrap-Up

     When I'm in my blogging zone, I've used the last nine months or so of Fridays-maybe less-to wrap up my week in the W's. I've had a restful week with being on vacation, though all totaled, I'll still have at least 10 hours in, but 10 from 55 is a real break. I wasn't as ambitious house wise as I aspired to be, but some things got done that would not have had I worked.  even have it as a four day, fingers crossed my Friday will be taken as vacation. But that's next week's post.  Here's the W's of my life for this week.    

What's top of mind: I'm hoping and keeping positive  thoughts that more people will be found in the apartment building rubble in Surfside, FL after the building collapse. It is frightening to think how fast tragedy can occur on an ordinary day. And of course, thinking of the responders who are putting their lives at risk to find more survivors. 

Where I've been: We went out for a very late lunch-early supper for Father's Day as the day was a complete washout. We desperately needed the rain, so no complaints. I spent about 36 hours at the lake and went to both a soccer and a lacrosse game. 

Where I'm going: Today I'm going to do a bit of thrifting-not sure if I'll buy anything but am looking for a new to me coffee maker since mine truly is dead. I also wouldn't mind finding a pair or two of longish shorts. As I purge clothes that just are not working for me, there are a few holes. Tomorrow my nice is hosting a first birthday party for her son. Sunday we'll try the cabin again and let DH play on his boat. My daughter is still there through the weekend and has a couple more friends joining her for the weekend. 

What I'm reading:  Don't judge me, but I reread for the umpteenth time, two Elizabeth Ogilvie books. They just say summer to me and feel like I am visiting with old friends. 

What I'm listening to: .Lucky me, as I am typing this, Kare 11 has a live guest visit of Davina and the Vagabonds! I've only seen them one time  in person, and am always envious when I hear friends went to some venue where they performed. A local artist, they have quite a following with out of towners as well as us Twin City folks. I don't even know if they are a Minnesota group, but they have a wild popularity here. Anne-this is for you as I think you will enjoy.



What I've been watching: I've binged a few more episodes of Manifest, but hearing that  there is not going to be more seasons after 3, we won't know the real mystery solved. That annoys me, so I doubt I'll keep watching if I won't know the ending. Maybe it will be picked up by a streaming service like  Designated Survivor was, and while that ending was quite lame, at least there was closure of sort. 

What I'm eating:  I've given up meal planning for a bit and just trying to both cook what we have, and pick up what we are in the mood for. I know-not a budget  friendly or healthy way to eat. I've just not felt creative, organized, or care about what I'm eating-again, I know not good, and since no one else is stepping up, I guess they don't car either. I made  a huge pot of soup on Monday as it was coolish and DD2 has been bringing leftovers for her lunch. Not at all sure what DH has brought for his lunch. My daughters friend sent home a curry with me on Wednesday and daughter ate that too while DH and I had burgers. I'm in a rut again. 

Who I'm paying attention to: Derek Chauvin is being sentenced today for the murder of George Floyd. Everything touching the murder, the trial, the aftermath can be fuel for more unrest and it worries me. I am following the details on the Minnesota special session and it looks like crisis will be averted and a budget ill pass before June 30th, avoiding a shut down of the state, or certain  programs and services of the state. 

What I'm planning: I'll have a jam packed work week with the end of the fiscal year on June 30th and the start of a new one so I just plan to soak up these next three days of non-work time. I did some good retirement forecasting-as mentioned yesterday, we are on track, unless all the IF'S align the way we need them too. With this, I'm trying to organize a new blog schedule that will recap our progress towards the first goal date of 1/12024-DH's retirement target, and  11/26/2027, my retirement target . As all budgets are different, I'll track progress as a % of goal, both monthly and annually. The annual is likely to be fluid as I inserted placeholders for things that have no dates such as weddings or major travel. These placeholders will either be moved up or moved back once finalized, but are in the planning. 

     Even with being back in the office and it being a flurry of work, the following will already be a shorter week with the July 4th holiday thrown in. I've got three vacation days and two flex days on the calendar, and life might work to actually take them next month, which is 25% of the work month. August  I have both a flex day and to weeks off! I need to make the most of these days and keep the balance I've gotten back a bit this week. That's my wrap up for  this last Friday in June. 

     

15 comments:

  1. My schedule is wild next week too. Working on Monday, all day drive on Tuesday, and then a few hours of work Wednesday, Thursday & Friday to make up for missing Tuesday. (We had to move our travel day from Wednesday to Tuesday.) Here's hoping you are super productive, & then get a chance to relax during your time off.

    My family irritates me about meals at times, so I then also slide into a rut. I try to pull myself back out, but... there are moments!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be an easy meal provider if it was just me! I can make a satisfying meal out of anything. Good luck with your busy week.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you are doing well overall Sam. You'll get back to your menu planning when you get back to your regular schedule. Just enjoy the time you're off.

    What happened at that high-rise here in Florida is just horrible, and what a slow painstaking process the search and rescue is! I'm still worried about the other part of the building coming down too. Of course my other big concern right now is the Chauvin sentencing and the unrest that may follow. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is devastating and part of why I am not keen on living right near an ocean-but just speculating that had something to do wit the tragedy and the foundation issues. It's not looking hopeful there will be many more survivors and my heart goes out to them and their families.

      Delete
  3. Isn't that condo in Florida just awful! So so sad. I can't imagine what could have caused it to do that. Boy, you'd think if the building was getting that weak there would have been some early warning signs before this happened. Cracks in walls, things like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, I think we will hear reports of ignored issues. I'm so sorry for them all.

      Delete
  4. I watched the collapse of that building in Florida with horror. Those poor people. You're right - how fast everything can change and when you least expect it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life can be great and tragedy happen quickly. Better to focus on joy when we can.

      Delete
  5. Ahhhh, Elizabeth Ogilvie. A native New Englander, I confess to searching the property listings in Maine VERY closely this time of year. It lasts through October.
    My guilty pleasure is Mary Stolz. I love vintage YA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very much a Maine nerd, but never really experienced much of it except through her books. I'm glad there are enough fans that keep her books available.

      Delete
  6. SO glad you got a vacation, even though you didn't hit your house like you wanted, remember housework will always be with you.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes-there will always be the work to do. I got a couple thing done, but mostly, got head space I needed.

      Delete
  7. My mind has been full of activities, as we can now start planning for travel (in Canada only) and gatherings. I should be getting the notice to book my second shot soon. We are having a heatwave, so that's ever-present.

    The appalling discoveries of our First Nations/Indian unmarked graves at residential schools in my province (in Kamloops, BC) and in Saskatchewan (over 700 graves), is really causing a rethink here about how we/settlers in Canada treated our indigenous population. My heart just aches.

    I know how hard it can be to invest all that energy (it's emotional labour) into meal-planning when others just don't care. Do what you can, and be kind to yourself, Sam. :)

    Take care and have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The history of our nations is a sad and brutal history and needs to be made oud so never ever can atrocities be repeated. Sadly, they will be though in s some sense with ongoing social and racial injustice. I ade two meals at the same time last night, so dinner tonight is done. Maybe that will be my strategy.

      Delete
  8. Summer reading is supposed to be light and fun and nothing 'what I ought to read'
    good for you.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.