Saturday, June 26, 2021

Thrift Haul

      Friday afternoon I took myself on a little Thrift jaunt. I had a few things in mind-a couple pairs of long shorts or capris style pants and neutralish short sleeve shirts. I also wanted to find a small plate or dish for the bar soap in the bathroom. DH keeps leaving his Dove bar on the built in little groove for soap in the sink itself. It melts then is really hard to clean. I had a fair amount of success stopping at both a Salvation Army and A goodwill up the road. At Salvation Army, I only looked at the blue tags, which were half off. It was slim in the shorts and capris area, but got two bargains on the following shirts at $1.99 each.

The tie die like fading adds a little interest
and the cut of the sleeves hides some arm jiggle.


Just a very basic pinstripe weave gray t-shirt,
but  it's long and tapered so not sloppy. 

     At Goodwill I found both these slightly below the knee khaki style for $2.99. They will  likely be my go to pants the rest of summer. 

     This pair was more expensive at a whopping $5.99, but  are a little dressier so will also work for the warm September days when I go back to the office. They still  are casual enough that I can pair with sneakers or flat sandals for happy hour. They hit as is just above the ankles, but also can be rolled into a cuff for a more casual look. 


     I hope neither fit me next summer, but for an investment of  $9.00, I'll get a very low cost per wear out of these if each are only worn once a week until the end of the warm weather this summer. 

     I found this small stone wear plate for $ .99 at Goodwill as well. It actually would go much better in the downstairs bathroom with green, but it will do the job  intended. Regardless, better than the cheapest soap dish at Walmart, Target or Kohls at  $1.99, or the plastic options at the Dollar Tree. 



     All together, I spent $14.02 and ended up with five items, two complete sets of tops or bottoms, with a mix and match option for four outfits. My only downfall in this trip was I should have been prepared to drop off another bag of  clothing. I'd have received a coupon for I think 20% off which would have saved me another $2.00 at Goodwill. I'm planning a  thrift store challenge with my girls this summer. I may even get some help and make a video out of it. It would be something along the lines of we each get a certain amount of money and have to find  specify things. Any ideas on what you'd like to see? Thanks for reading and indulging me sharing my little haul. 






18 comments:

  1. I had to laugh at "arm jiggle". I have full on bat wings. lolz
    Good finds!
    I need to change out to Summer wardrobe(been put off for too long due to life getting in the way)but as I've drop more lbs. I will need to try EVERYTHING on, which I am dreading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good on you for the continued weight loss. Yeah, jiggles was a kind word to myself. Need those arm weights.

      Delete
  2. You scored good items. I'm surprised your Salvation Army doesn't do $1 color tags on weekends. They do here in MI. During the week it's 50% off select color tags & Fri/Sat $1 on those same color tags. Still a great haul though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't pop in enough to know if that's done. I'm just smart enough to look at tag color.

      Delete
  3. I love the idea of a challenge. I'd say, go for anything on your wish list, as anything useful to you that you are able to source used would be interesting to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The younger one eas game as I said I'd provide the seed money.

      Delete
  4. How fun, I love thrift store shopping, though rarely buy clothes as Sis sends me boxes of things every year. It is ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great scores at great prices Sam! I still haven't got back out to the thrift shops yet, but looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to estimate fit but all went sttaight to washer so felt no harm in 2nd hand.

      Delete
  6. I love the pink top, it is very much my style. I have a bag to drop off but they do not give us a 20% off coupon for donating. I do enjoy a good look around whenever I get the time to. I did purchase a new clothing item recently, a black tiered dress with a ruffle sleeve. I haven’t worn a dress in years but I used to all the time before I had kids and while I was pregnant with my first. I would love to see a challenge with your girls! Sounds fun :) JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's cuter on hanger than me, but I wore to a backyard party already. Pants weren't as loose as I had hoped, but doable.

      Delete
  7. You had a good haul. That first time is really pretty - I love the colour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked that shirt a lot as well. I'm sure it will be worn longer than it should be by other people's standards of fashion!

      Delete
  8. Didn't you do well? The dip-dyed top is lovely! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to know that is called dip dyed-I really like it and it has a good neckline for my body type, otherwise knonw as chunky.

      Delete
  9. it is jolly good fun to find such at thrift shops.
    I look forward to attending on this November.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you have major shops that open seasonally?

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.