Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Positively Tuesday and Managing the Heat

      This summer is the oven that just keeps firing up! We're back in another  streak of 90 degree plus with it being stifling-but yet no rain to speak of by the forecasters. I'll water my flowers, but I just can't justify running sprinklers on the grass when there might be water shortages for things like drinking and crop production. Still, even with managing the heat, there are things that are giving me jo, making me smile, or just a simple pleasure. Here's my top 10 for the week.

  1. I've been enjoying using up the veggie bounty DD2 brought home last Wednesday. We've had garlic and parmesan roasted potatoes, curry, and low mein.  I've got so many leftovers so think I'll skip any cooking on Wednesday. The cabbage was massive and I still have 3/4ths left so need to figure out what else to make with it. Other than coleslaw and stir fry, not a clue what to do with it. 
  2. I've been trying to stay more focused on not snacking/eating after 7:00 and trying to get a bit more strength  exercising in. Dare I say, I actually lost two pounds this week without it backfiring? 
  3. My Keurig has decided it will work again-we'll see how long. It's been nice using it the last couple days and not doing my  make due pour over. 
  4. I think these are zinnias? The seed packet faded that I used for a marker. These are what  survived the squirrels. They are not the prettiest of flowers being just two that bloomed, but I smile that they won the battle with the critters.


    Two bloomed-not sure if the other "growth" will give nay flowers.

  5. I actually dressed for work today. (Really-I' wear clothes, but have been shorts and Tee's). I decided I better start at least on Tuesdays and Thursdays  getting in the habit of office appropriate wear. I'm still bare footed though!
  6. I really had fun meeting up with my sisters on Saturday for happy hour and ten  our game night. It's nice to be born into a family and born into instant friends. Of course we've had our moments of sibling stuff, but  I love hanging out with them. 
  7. Shhh-don't tell my other nieces and nephews, but my sister who was the birthday girls, gave me loads of positives on my kids, telling me, "You sure did something right.". She was referring to their kind souls and adventurous natures, of which I can't really take credit as they are their own people, but still nice to hear. She may have even let it slip that  wile she loves them all, they might be her favorites. She does not have children of her own, but her husband that passed away last year has two sons, but he was estranged form them so she (we) didn't see much of them, though are in touch via Christmas cards and Facebook.
  8. We all slept in on Sunday and it felt good!  I mentioned to my daughter that I couldn't believe how late it was and she said, "Well, it is Sunday!" 
  9. I mentioned how much help my older daughter has been giving me-so thankful. Well, she turned it up a notch and brought home baked zucchini bread with her on Sunday and gave me a few more hours of her time. She got multiple boxes donated after work yesterday. 
  10. Knowing the office  is now going to really happen is a simple joy. DH thinks I'll feel closed in, but I think I'll like that feeling to  be focused when working, and shut the door at the end of the day when I am not. I'm looking at the miscellaneous stuff that came out to see what I'll reuse in the office-avoiding buying stuff. 
     Those were some of the niceties of my life this week. When I logged in there was an irritating email that I will have to deal with in a bit-typical of my Tuesdays. People hold off the crap on Monday and let it fly n Tuesday. At least I can bask in the list of  simple pleasures for the week. 

18 comments:

  1. Isn't it nice to hear nice things about your kids. And I'm sure it's sincere because I know I just wouldn't say anything if I didn't mean it. You can certainly share the credit for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids make an effort for family things, while living their own lives. It is hard to do that-we see some of the next generation very seldom-gettin gto be the wedding and funeral thing, and not even often coming for weddings. I alos think my kid are thoughtful and caring!

      Delete
  2. It sounds like a fantastic week other than you having our Florida weather. I hope it cools down a bit soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been going outside for lunch-in the shade, to at least appreciate that it i not winter. ONce the sun get lower, it also has not been as bad, so 7/7:30 walks have been OK.

      Delete
  3. Lovely list of joys! You could make corned beef and cabbage with potatoes. Or a roast if you don't like corned beef. Yes, those are zinnias. They're still pretty! Celie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like corned beef and thought of that, and then have reuben fixings. Those are my two lonely zinnias then. I was hoping for a big pot full.

      Delete
  4. A really good recipe for cabbage that we love is "cabbage roll casserole." I think the recipe is on Allrecipes.com Very easy - brown the meat, chop cabbage, throw in a large pot with tomato sauce, uncooked rice, chopped onion, spices ~ mix well & put into 9 x 13 casserole, pour beef broth over it, cook! Tastes exactly like cabbage rolls but much easier! And leftovers are amazing! We serve with instant mashed potatoes & sweet Hawaiian rolls! Best dinner ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does sound like a good comfort food meal/CAn yo freeze cabbage if it is going to go in a baked dish? I can't see eating that in this weather but it sounds yummy.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like some great joys.
    Have you tried egg roll in a bowl to use some cabbage?
    Congrats on the weight loss.
    I love zinnias. I planted a bunch of seed, but only two came up.
    Glad you enjoyed your time with your sisters, and how good to hear your children praised.
    Sorry about the work email, hope it is solved easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to the two zinnia club! I know Hawaii Plan makes egg roll in a bowl and see a link.

      Delete
  6. I was also coming to recommend egg roll in a bowl for the cabbage. I like this recipe. https://www.theseasonedmom.com/egg-roll-in-a-bowl/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was happy to see th elink and will check it out. This cabbage is huge!

      Delete
  7. I saw a recipe that I want to try--colcannon. I think that is how you spell it. It is basically mashed potatoes with cabbage in it. Looks delicious. Plus, I often steam or lightly boil cabbage cut in big wedges and chunks, adding onion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not for me-not a fan of veggie mixed into my mashed potatoes.

      Delete
  8. I think having a dedicated office space will make all the difference in you being able to quit work on time. Once the door is shut, you have left the "office"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I am hoping. I hate seeing the screen when I'm trying to relax. It is almost calling to me to log in!

      Delete
  9. We are in a drought too and I have given up on my lawn. I water my flowers and our garden beds and the rest I have had to let go. There are two houses on our block that keep watering and it is a stark contrast to the rest. I can't justify the water bill for it. Great job on the 2 lbs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, it wouldn't be the water bill as much as the conditionsm though I would guess the water costs escalate during this time too. I'd love s lush green yard, but just can't justify it this year.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.