Monday, July 19, 2021

Weekend in the Rear View Window

      Weekends really fly don't they? I suppose not for those that  have to work on them, as my husband feels about Saturdays.  He is down to 127 Saturdays (not counting any vacation days) left to work. This is not a husband griping post, but it is getting old.  Having a husband that spends  his Thursday day off either getting called into work, taking care of things for his mom and or the cabin, working again Friday and Saturday, he's rarely wanting to do anything on Sundays. The cabin last Sunday was mostly because he thought we would be the only ones there plus our daughter brought a friend. Other than the time on the boat, he stays inside where it is cool the bulk of the time we spend there. It's been harder this summer as the heat during the week exhausts him and being out and about is the last thing he wants. I  though, with working inside at at home all week, like to have things to do-and I did them.



     Friday night was quiet. DD1 came over and brought boxes, plus got a solid start on purging the  to be office. She didn't stay for dinner, and  I threw together a stove top tuna hotdish as I didn't want the oven on, with steamed broccoli. My younger daughter and I hung outside a while with a cocktail and chatted and read, and just had a nice night. Saturday, DD1 came back and helped me for another couple hours before she had to leave for a work shoot. We devised a plan though, and figured out we can keep (now that it is purged) as  a small bedroom/office combo so for now, I'm keeping the bed, nightstand and dresser and mirror. If it feels too crowded working in there once the desk is moved in, then we'll lose the furniture and just keep the bed as a day bed, wihtout the head board. What's left is to rip the carpet up, paint, and put a new carpet down. (and more purging of items that came out of the room that are not going to be kept.)

     Later I did some more purging and organizing in my bedroom before meeting up with family for a happy hour for my sisters birthday, and sort of for two other sisters with June b-days as we hadn't celebrated them yet either. Both my girls joined as well. Later we went to another sisters for a card/game night and  I learned a new game  called 99. DH was welcome to come, but was tired and hot so stayed home. I pretty much skipped the town celebrations-nothing was calling to me, though my younger daughter went around with a friend before meeting us at the local. 

     Sunday was uneventful - I slept in because I was out quite late as I drove the birthday girl and we toasted in her actual birthday after midnight. I was woke up by DH's phone-his brother, wondering if we would be up and should they cover the pontoon. I was none too pleased as this guy sleeps half the morning away on Sundays if he has nothing he has to get up for, yet he's calling us early on a Sunday. I assume one of the kids had to be  at something in the day so they were cutting their weekend short and hoping to leave the  task to someone else. (It takes a while to get it secured.) I digress. 

     You might be wondering why it is taking so long to get a small room coverted into an office. You have to understand how truly unorganized people work. When we had put new flooring in the family room, the old bedroom and to be office became a collecting ground for a lot of miscellaneous stuff. DD1 was also surprised how much of her old stuff was still there, on top of just a six year time span of shut the door and ignore going on. Fortuanltey for me as I have her help, my oder daughter once living in her own places, really let the minimalist urges through and is keeping me on track. Besides old movie and books, which she came over to pack up to donate, there were old cards, miscelaneous boxes, and assorted stuff to go through. I went through cards and envelopes, keeping a very small number of things and purging the rest. I found a few treasures of which I'll share later in the week. As the day went on, each of us got some other household stuff done and a bit of life admin. I made a humongous curry for DD2 and I, loaded with much of the  donated produce, and made DH a chicken sandwich with bacon cheddar cheese on a toasted roll, and steamed versions of the veggies I put in the curry. DD2 is set for lunch this week! We ended the day with a walk once the sun was lower and it was less steamy. I called it an early night. 

     I'm not sure how this week will unfold. Work of course will keep me busy but I am now back to my flex days-which means Friday is a day off. Since I want to keep using days for the projects, I'm fixed on doing any household or life admin work in the evenings.  I hope your weekend was what you wanted it to be. Drop a comment and let me know. 

10 comments:

  1. My weekend didn’t really go as planned….I wanted to celebrate my stupid promotion but it didn’t seem to work out. Oh well. I did go to dinner with just my son and did a little shopping with him. We rarely go out, just the two of us and it was really nice. Found out last night that my sister in law and family are moving to Florida in a few weeks to seek medical care for her complicated pregnancy/delivery and impending surgeries for the baby once he’s born. I’ll miss them terribly and I’m so afraid for them. I also miss my daughter even though she’s only been gone a few days. She’s my little bestie and I’m lost without her. And my husband texted this morning to say he’s going back to night turn starting next week. I don’t even know how to feel about that. It doesn’t scare me the way it does some people but it’ll turn things sideways again. I’m already over this week. JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish the best for your sil and family. You've had a lot to manage.

      Delete
  2. It is easy to have a room where you just throw everything and close the door. However it does not become the room of requirement as in Harry Potter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have too many rooms like that- guest room,laundry room, under stairs closet and lets not even start on cupboards.

      Delete
  3. I am perfectly comfortable with having a room where I can just shut the door and leave it. Unfortunately now that I have so much lake crap and Mom's stuff, I have not, 1, not 2, but 3 rooms like that. Gotta get Mom's house sold so I can work on my own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No excuses and I have more doors than I can count to shut! Good luck on house sale.

      Delete
  4. I always had a room to shut the door and ignore. It worked out well. This weekend I was ill one day and recovering the next. I am still in recovery mode.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can work well, until that room fills and you go to the next room, and the next. I just need stuff gone and my rooms to be used as intended.

      Delete
    2. I did have one upstairs and one downstairs to use...lol. They were both 19'x18', so I did not have to go to the next rooms.

      Delete
  5. I get that your husband is on countdown until he can retire. My sister told me when you're ready to go you'll just know. And that was right, except I'd been (unrealistically) ready for quite some time!

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.