Tuesday, July 13, 2021

Positively Tuesday10 Things to Smile About

     



     Past Monday and right into Tuesday with endless possibilities. Life is just sort of humming along right now, but I'll take it over stress and crisis. I'm so sorry for those impacted by  fire, fraught, hurricanes, flash floods and other natural (or unnatural due to human foot print) and just the heat in general when not prepared for it. Where ever you are, I hope you and yours are safe and well. Because a L-O-V-E Tuesdays so much, I use it as my day to think of all the positive things that brought me joy, simple pleasures, and smiles in the past week. In no particular order...

  1. Only one other was available for trivia last week, so I took a pass, and took an extra long walk with pup, plus a relaxing night on the porch. I could hear the live music that drifts across the pond from the bar opposite. After the heat of June and the first week of July, the evenings have been cooling off to a comfortable temperature.
  2. Three others plus myself hosted a virtual wedding shower for one of the crew in the division on Thursday. It was fun and silly, and a bit emotional. She is a gem and has had to postpone her wedding twice but is a go now for the 23rd. It was a kitchen gadget them, but as we all pooled funds and one person shopped, she got a couple pricey items like a le Creuset Dutch oven and her Calphalon baking set, plus so many useful items we all need. 
  3. Blueberry picking was both fun and productive. It was not cheap though, at $5 per pound and I picked a bit over 7 pounds. I have enough froze for a batch of jam and a pie for DH, plus two cups for a massive blueberry muffin bake for when my son is here, fingers crossed, over Christmas. We have a couple portions just for eating ready as well and DH and DD2 have put in their lunches. What aren't eaten by Friday will be baked into bread I think. 
  4. I baked a dozen Sunday morning and had one in solitary morning quiet with a cup of coffee. That is the stuff a good life is made of. 
  5. I was happy to have already cooked chicken ready for easy meals this week. We brought some to the cabin, along  with bacon and DH just seasoned, and reheated on the grill. Topped with the bacon and cheddar on bakery rolls-delicious. 
  6. DD2's friend joined us at the cabin on Sunday. Listening to the girls in the back was a trip down memory lane.
  7. We also stopped on the way back from the cabin at a small town ice cream  shop. I don't eat a lot of ice cream, but if I do, this is how I like it-hand scooped in a sugar cone, eaten outside on a perfect summer night.
  8. I missed the big soccer match, but watched the highlights on YouTube. What a match. I obviously have no vested interest in either team so just appreciated how close the finals were-as championships should be. 
  9. When DD2 got home from work yesterday, we watched the new Disney Pixar animated film Luka. It was very cute and now, we want a Vespa. 
  10. Just this morning, watching pup outside, loving the coolish morning, made me smile. How do you not smile when our pup is having the time of his life-well, I could do without the dirty paws when he comes in. 
     I hope your week was filled with  things that made you smile. It's easy to watch or listen to the news and get discouraged about the state of the world and the mess people can make of it with their own issues and lack of satisfaction in their own lives. Tuesdays, I try and leave that behind and  put my rose colored glasses on. I hope however your day has started, it becomes a positively Tuesday.

26 comments:

  1. We picked blueberries on Saturday and according to my husband my pie was the best I've ever made (I don't like blueberries so didn't try it!). We only paid $3.50/lb., though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like fresh or forzen, but am not a huge blueberry pie fan either, but I have them ready for my hubs birthday.

      Delete
  2. Love this! I need this today. Here are a few from me:
    1) Our blueberries are almost ready to pick. Every day when I water, I sample a bit. ;-)
    2) We are enjoying amazing garden produce, & loving what we've grown. I also find it a peaceful habit to water, trim back the plants, & pick what we have daily.
    3) My husband is returning to the office (optionally) today, and he's quite excited. I'll return when they say I have to, but he's very happy to have the work space back. We are different creatures, but I'm happy he's getting an opportunity to reconnect in person.
    4) I'm getting my hair cut today, for the first time in 2 years.
    5) One of my favorite trashy shows (Virgin River) is back on Netflix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are pretty good joys/simple pleasures. I love that gardening is peaceful fo ryou-it overwhlems me.

      Delete
  3. Glad you're finding joy.
    Recent joys for me are...
    Eating out of our garden daily for the past couple of weeks.
    Enjoyed our first BLT of the season. The tomatoes are heavenly.
    I was gifted a LOT of blueberries.
    First tomato, basil pizza of the season.
    The farmers market is great this year to fill in on some of the things I am not growing.
    The weather has been beautiful this summer.
    Taking a lot of time to sit in the sun and read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. after my small fortune spent on blueberries, the gift of them is a true joy. A Pizza farm pizza is on my ist to do this summer.

      Delete
  4. Unlike many others, my husband was/is considered an essential worker, so was going to the office every day. This week he has finally taken off to give himself a break and to try to work on some projects at home. We do not pick blueberries but if we happen to be able to get fresh ones (farmers market) I do make a pie for him. (I am not a fan of BB pie) It's a great treat for him. Regarding all of the ugly stuff going on around us every day, it is hard not to feel fear and frustration, but I try to remember, that despite all of the ugly and sad things, there are still good things happening. We just need to look a little harder to find them, sometimes. What's important, is that we appreciate them (however small) and are grateful for them because we all need that warm spot in our heart, or that smile on our face, or maybe even laugh out loud. It's essential to our health. Keep looking for those little moments of joy - they're out there. We need to spread some cheer. Have a good rest of the week. Ranee (MN)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As was my husband-auto sales! I was worried about him for a year until he could get vaccinated. Same with me-hubs loves blueberry pie but I can leave it. I think if we don;t look for the good, fun, happy things, we would be unable to cope with the horrorible things.

      Delete
  5. I loved reading this, it all makes it sound like life really is pretty perfect when we look for the little pleasures in each day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's perfect anyway? It is in the eye of the beholder and in many cases, we have the ability to choose if a day was a good day or a hard day. I'm not saying there is no sadness-that owuld be disengenuous, but no need to look for it (it will find us), but always a reason to look for the smiles.

      Delete
  6. I've been offline for a few days so am just now catching up with my blog reading. I'm glad to hear your life has calmed down as it seemed pretty stressful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has calmed down-grant process are done, but we are still waiting on new shoes to drop. The last few weeks of August and ealry September kick off a new roun dof cahos so I'm baskign in a normal few weeks.

      Delete
  7. I'm not a fan of blueberries, but I LOVE blueberry picking. I have a bush in my old house, and will probably plant some in my new place. The blackberries are plentiful enough--no need to plant. I've learned, over the years, that to pick those, I need to wear long sleeves, and kitchen gloves.
    I actually splurged, and bought two half flats of raspberries two days ago. I spent yesterday making raspberry jam, and today, I will use the remaining ones in a raspberry cream cheese pie.
    Did I ever tell you my pub trivia story? About 4 years ago, DD and I found ourselves home alone for the better part of the day/evening, so we decided to go out to eat at a (actually, THE, as there is only one) local pub. Trivia was in full swing, so we grabbed a sheet and played along, even though most people had teams of 4 or more. (I won a t-shirt at the rapid answer round, though.) In any case, after our meal, we decided to leave, and just left our answer sheet at the table. The next day she and I were at Rite Aid, and we ran into the waiter. He said "Hey, why'd you guys leave? You came in third!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like a few raspberries a year-part of why I let my bushes sort of die out-just nointerest. I love your pub quiz story. When my daughter and I played alone a few weeks ago, we were in the top of the pack at half time-Ithink the two of us carry our trivia team a bit, but it s all good fun anyway.

      Delete
  8. You had a really good list today, Sam. I love the blueberry picking. Bailey has watched the new Pixar film, but I’ve not seen it yet. Soon though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The film was one of those cute films-good for children, with enough laughs for adults.

      Delete
  9. Its nice to find joy in the small and large tings in life. Wow, $5.00 a pound you pick.... that is crazy expensive. I will need to see how much they have gone up here when we go out the end of July.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no sense of cost per pound-I compare to the price in the little punnits in the stores and seemed about the same. I had sticker shock, but whne I think of all the dumb things I could spend money on, suporting a pick your own organic small farm, I think it was a good spend.

      Delete
  10. Blueberries frozen at the store are more expensive than yours. But, the gift of a gallon of blueberries was infinitely cheaper. I spent last week moaning, "I feel so bad." Finally, I felt 100% better and have been smiling since and cooking, including a blueberry cobbler. Happiness is happening in the front yard--a neighbor is mowing Tommy's yard. Having chicken cooked for meals is a real joy around here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking I paid about what I would have in the store, so OK withthe price.

      Delete
  11. I love the sound of sitting outside and hearing the music drifting across from the bar opposite, it sounds like being on a holiday abroad! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thunderstroms expected tonight, so I think it will be Trivia at the brewery. We have a lot of outdoor summer music aorund our town.

      Delete
  12. You sound very peaceful and calm, Sam. Enjoy the blueberries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anyone would be calmer after the chaos that was June! I'm glad I sound more calm.

      Delete
  13. Pups cannot help but make all cheerful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has his sweet moments! He will miss his girl when she heads back to school and then he'll have a day a week where no one is home.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.