Friday, July 16, 2021

Vaccines, and Food, and Celebrations...The Friday Wrap-Up

     W W W

      Each Friday, and I'm trying to be consistent again, I try capture the comings and goings, ups and downs, and general  ways and means of my life through my Friday W's Here's the W's of my life for this week.    

What's top of mind: Our community had a tragic event this week, and one of my children knew the victim from school. I'll say the cliched, "we don't have these things happen here"  but tragedy and violence happens everywhere doesn't it? It's certain to not be random violence, so I don't have heightened worry, just sadness for the family and friends.

Where I've been: I feel like a broken record but I went blueberry picking and out for lunch, played trivia, and we went to the cabin. More outings included a brief 45 minutes running a couple errands, a movie in a theater on Tuesday, and Trivia Wednesday night. My daytime goings have been to the park or walking paths with pup this week. I've got an itch for travel, but in day to day outings, a simple errand seems to scratch the itch to get away. Maybe since I can work outside for an hour here and there I am feeling less shut in, or just the fact knowing  I have more flexibility with less (not no) risk is helping me feel more mobile.

Where I'm going: Likely to hear some music this weekend somewhere and a small grocery shop. As it didn't work last week for my sister for lunch or happy hour, this might be an option tomorrow and rumor has it she is interested in Bingo. I'll keep you posted on what happens. Next Tuesday, I have a work meeting, in person! We are doing it at an outdoor park/pavilion rather than in the office which is still  being organized for return to the office. 

What I'm reading:  I brought a book along on Sunday, but read about three pages as it was nice to relax without nothing in my head. 

What I'm listening to: I've been streaming some different movie sound tracks to pep me up as I mine data for  end of year report. I've had the Greatest Showman sound track streaming, and several Disney themes. If I have to have my head down looking at spread sheets, I can at least get my toes tapping. 

What I've been watching: DD2 brought home a Spider Man, the newest franchise, and we watched it last night. As I said, we went to the movie on Tuesday and saw Black Widow, which was enjoyable. 

What I'm eating:  Produce! Well I made roasted red potatoes last night from DD2's  supply along with turkey bacon BLT sandwiches. Of course, blueberry muffins!  I made the spinach. (from a previous  take home from daughter) artichoke pasta, with the leftover chicken from our lake lunch-it really has turned into a favorite of mine, but a bit rich so  needs to be an occasional  meal. We had a taco night too this week. I need to check freezer space, but  I'd like to make a big batch of potato cheese soup since I have so many (plus carrots) but with another heat wave expected, I don't think it would be enjoyable as a meal. DH had bought a tub of Reeser's potato salad, mustard variety. Normally we like it, but this batch was not good. IT might be that the mustard was too a heavy as it tastes strong and vinegary. We won't waste it though, so are putting copious amounts of pepper on it to use it up. It makes me miss my daughter's-who makes an excellent potato salad that no one would even know was vegan. 

Who I'm paying attention to: In Treader's post, she shared that the French President Macron was pushing for an executive order that to basically go to any public  venue, residents would need a pass to show they are vaccinated or have had a negative test within a short period of time (which costs 50 euros.) I've made no  secret I am pro Covid Vaccine, but I also don't believe anyone should be required to, as much as I believe it was the right decision for me. I also think, like all things, freedom of personal choice does not mean freedom from repercussions to choices. This is why  I have mixed  reaction to her post and know the frustration expressed is shared by thousands if not millions. She shared that  the French have worn masks when required without the  huge back lash as in parts of the US, so that along with social distancing, seems like reasonable alternatives to  those that can't or decide no to vaccines or can't afford the time or money for regular tests. 

I know though, business want to get back to  full capacity so the social distancing can't work for them forever.  I just don't know anymore what will truly get the world back to semi normal. I am following what happens in France, world  data on  vaccine rates, infection rates, and hospitalizations-as well as what is learned over time on the impacts of vaccines. I personally trust that the vaccines are protecting with little to no risk, but I can't make that determination for someone else. I can still though be concerned for them, and anyone that could be at risk. Let's all be advocates for not attacking each other.

What I'm planning: What's going on this week? Well, we need to make our plans more firm for vacation in August. I'm looking again at dates for a possible road trip late fall along the Mississippi (though driving through Tennessee and their super low  vaccination  rates, and the low rates in other states south of Minnesota has me worried a bit)-see points above. Of course I'd love to globe trot, but that won't be happening so I'm posting this squishy stress ball in solidarity of a future with global travel. 


What's Making Me Smile: An old school mate is swinging by to pick up food my daughter brought home. This man was one of the nicest "kids" I remember. We weren't really friends, but friendly, him having gone to the private catholic school until 9th grade so didn't know each other at all until then. He said he cooks and delivers food for several elderly relatives and the extra produce would be great . He now runs the family business, which has to be challenging as it is one hit hard with the movement away from print to online for so many things. I look forward to a quick catch up with him.

     All and all, not a bad week for my family. Our town annual celebration is this weekend with a very new format-almost music festival like. Some people love the change, others think it is going to be a disaster and not the same fun they were looking forward to. We shall see.  As it is a completely self supported event, to me its another case of, you want input, volunteer. You don't like the format, don't participate. I'm finding people will crab over everything and I'd think after a year with no celebrations, people would give a different format a try. That's my thinking right now-no time for whining, but sure enough, I'll whine about something irrelevant in the future as well. Play along! What's going on in your life this week?

30 comments:

  1. We have a slightly lighter version of a potato salad. Julienned onion, bite size cut up boiled and cooled down potatoes, chopped parsley or a handful of coarsely chopped baby spinach, salt, pepper, olive oil and lemon juice. I usually sprinkle this with a generous amount of red pepper flakes. I use the pepper flakes without the seeds so, it is not too hot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have an abundance of potatoes and your vetsion sounds tasty!

      Delete
  2. Sam, I’m so sorry about the young person in your community that passed away this week. It’s always hard when someone dies but when it is a young person, it is especially tragic when their life is cut so short. My heart goes out to you and your community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course rumors went wild, instead of people just expressing condolences.

      Delete
  3. Hope you have a lovely weekend.

    On the vaccine front, I'm disappointed that our office isn't requiring vaccines for employees. We work in very tight, shared space/open concept offices. Masks are "recommended" for the unvaccinated,but not required. There is no way to tell who is vaccinated or not, but we are expected to go into small conference rooms with 20+ people, most/none of whom are wearing masks. I like to trust my fellow coworkers, but if you haven't gotten a vaccine yet (and, obviously setting aside people who are medically unable) , I'm not sure you're the kind of person who would wear a mask for 8 hours/day, when no one will actually know if you're vaccinated.

    I totally get the tradeoffs between autonomous bodily choices & supporting society & businesses as we try to re-open society. It's a really difficult problem. I do think businesses should be able to set their own policies for their employees, similar to what I noted above. On the France side with mass transit, it's challenging. I'm supportive that people need to get to work, but if you aren't willing to get a vaccine, should you be allowed to take mass transit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have not heard if masks will continue to be required when the office opens up. These variants though are scary and with the youngest not being able to be vaccinated feel there is so much risk.

      Delete
  4. I'm sorry to hear about the tragic event in your community Sam. I think business should be able to make their own choices as to whether or not employees or guests should have to show proof of vaccines. It's not forcing anyone to get it, but maybe they shouldn't be allowed in certain places if they haven't! That's just my personal opinion. Enjoy catching up with with your old school mate and enjoy your town's celebration this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I personally don't know who all has or hasn't been vaccinated but worry for those that can't. I get the risk people take trusting the vaccine, so don't want to ignore that fear. But politically driven decisions send me bonkers.

      Delete
  5. I've just come back from my first English pub visit and lunch out for the first time in 16 months!
    Our illustrious leaders have declared Monday to be Freedom Day, we can throw away our masks, abandon social distancing and return to a normal life. We watch and wait! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly it-we wait and hope. I just want people to be safe living that normal life.

      Delete
  6. I am on the fence about the vaccine passport. I am totally pro-vaccine and while I do agree about individuals right not to get it, I also believe in my right to be protected from them and their possible transmission of the disease to me. I am still wearing mask masks every time I go somewhere public because I know in Alabama less than 35 %of the population is totally vaccinated with just under 50% having the first dose. I simply do the math and have to assume any place I go 50 percent of the people there are unvaxed.
    And though I agree we should not be judgmental, when it is a sunny day near 90 with 90% humidity and I am having to wear a mask because so many people do not want to get the shot, my thoughts are not very kind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's where I am. I just can't see why people think getting tjr vaccine is a government (international) conspiracy
      I mean,where's the win? Fear of taking something before FDA full approval I get, even if I trust it. It's the conspiracy theory I struggle with and the risk to young and vulnerable be damned.

      Delete
  7. We are surrounded by right wing family and people in general that wont get the vaccine and Hubs and I are at a loss with the ignorance. My feeling is anyone that gets it and dies? Also to get it and pass it to others especially children? I am all for ones rights but when they start to harm others it is a hard call. I know this I will not go into another lock down or an economy shut down do to this. There is a miracle vaccine given to us in record time, why be so ignorant as to not use it? There I have said it. Sorry to rant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree- there won't be stay at home orders again. There will just be collateral victims of politicizing the pandemic, vaccines, and masks. So sad

      Delete
  8. Oh and SAM I forgot to add that I am sorry for your friends that had tragedy in their lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know the family,. My daughter knew him on school but long time ago. Still a community tragedy.

      Delete
  9. So, what book did you read three pages? If I had this potato salad that was too tangy, I would add a smidgen of sugar and more potatoes and let it sit a bit before eating.

    I live in Alabama and it terrifies me. I behave as though we have had no vaccine and mask mandates are still in place. If you drive through a Sothern state, act like the pandemic shutdown is in full force. That is what I do daily. I do not think people should be forced by physical force to get a vaccine, but a little social control might help. If you want to do something, then get a vaccine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Book was Summer of the Osprey. We'll see if we want to vacation like that at all before planning.

      Delete
  10. It’s been a whirlwind of a week. My son left last Friday for OBX and will return this weekend. We spent a few days in Atlantic City. The weather was gorgeous except for the torrential storms that we got stuck in as we crossed the state along the turnpike. We stopped in Hershey to tour Chocolate World on the way home. Thursday I took my daughter for her senior pictures and then I was back to work. She leaves tomorrow morning with her boyfriend’s family to visit his sister in North Carolina and then his aunt in South Carolina. I finally officially got my promotion and the original pay raise I was promised and it will be effective Sunday. My crazy story for the week involves my older brother who literally ran into his neighbor’s burning home to rescue their 10 year old son and dog. Two older children escaped by climbing out an upstairs window and jumping from the back porch. The house is a total loss and my brother’s house suffered some cosmetic damage also but it could have been so tragically worse. He is literally a hero! Im sorry for the loss in your community. It’s frightening to think how things can change in a blink of an eye. JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow-so glad your brother was there! Congratulations on your promotion and raise.

      Delete
  11. Hello Sam, I am sorry to hear about the tragedy that brushed your community. Something like that happened in the area where I live in the U.S., and it is very unsettling, besides the shock and sympathy for the victims themselves. We thought of our area as safe and "normal" and are struggling to understand what went on there. I suppose the pandemic is the same situation on a larger scale. We thought our world was safe, and that we had an advanced medical system, but in the end it turned out we didn't know that much about viruses or how to control them. But the head in the sand approach is the very worst one, and people who claim that safety procedures are an individual choice are willfully spreading a deadly disease and making everyone unsafe.
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jim. It is unsettling but some rumors were stopped which helped a bit.

      Delete
  12. I'm sorry for the loss of that young person in your community from what sounds like violence. How can that even happen? The issue of the vaccine pass may seem really divisive in the States, but not at all over here, strangely enough. Anyone can prove they have had the vaccine, but then to say that while yesterday we could sit on a terrace and have a cup of coffee and as from tomorrow we can't because ..... Because why? And a fireman must be vaccinated but a policeman doesn't have to be? And more frighteningly, our young people over 12 now have to have the vaccine in order to go back to school in September? A vaccine that has no long (or even short-term data available about it's secondary effects). As you said on my blog, we have to agree to differ I guess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think concern of the unknown is valid. Different decisions on different days can be frustrating but when case counts varies it's probably hard to know what policies will help, like limiting people om public places. No winners on this subject.

      Delete
  13. Sorry, I meant to add. What really put me off this vaccine was last year, when the pandemic was "starting up". My friend had not long retired from the vaccines unit of the World Health Organization here in Geneva and she asked me what I thought about it. When I said I had no idea because what did I know about vaccines, except for when I ended up in hospital after a violent reaction to a heptatitis jab. Well she said it worried her because she saw from her work that the side effects of new (to the public) vaccines only became apparent after 2-3 years. So on the basis of my own past experience with vaccines and that comment I decided I would wait it out and if, in a year's time, it was looking positive, then I'd go for it. Until then I continue to do what we are being asked to do - we are continuing to work from home, social distance and wear masks. And people have been very good about complying with it over here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe more data from the first trial groups could be more transparent. They would be past 1 year mark now. I'm afraid that's the best short term we have but since it was built of decade long research on similar
      acting viruses such as SARS and H1N1 I don't see this as clear experimental.

      Delete
  14. That's wonderful that you've been able to get out and about and even go to a movie theatre! So exciting! I haven't dared yet, waiting until my 2nd shot is at full efficacy.

    I don't have a problem with a country requiring proof of vaccinations - this is not a new thing! You would be required to have a malaria shot or other shots for certain countries prior to COVID, and this is no different. A country needs to protect its citizens - look at Australia! Most of the population under 50 hasn't had their first jab yet.

    Anyway, here's to a good week ahead! I'm salivating at all those blueberries! Take care, Sam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is the fear of the unknown with the Covid Vaccine-and the newness, without the full approval that has given pause to people who are not in general, anti-vax. IT ha been nice to get out and about. I hear slightly different stats, but MN supposedly is at 70% of the over 16 vaccinated and gaining ground in the 12-16 year olds.

      Delete
  15. Sorry about the death of the young person. I don't think that anyplace is safe from violence.
    Glad you have had some joys last week. Hope you had fun at the town celebration, and I know it was good to meetup with a friend. We saw Black Widow too, and we liked it but we are Marvel fans.
    I haven't made any vacation plans yet this year. I had thought we would wait til August/September, but I think I'll wait to see what happens with the virus.
    I only wish that more people would care about others instead of only themselves.
    I like this quote by Peter Marshall "May we think of freedom not as the right to do as we please but as the opportunity to do what is right.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure people who aren't Marvel fans would like Black Widow as much, but we found it enjoyable. No firm plans too. I'm wait and pause and wait.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.