Friday, August 20, 2021

The Friday Recap in W's

 


     It's already Friday and my last day of vacation. I don't go back to work until Monday, but I'd have the weekend off anyway. I had some lazy days this week and some productive days. DD2 is pretty much ready to get back to school and we'll move back into our empty nest lifestyle. Here's the W's of my life for this week.    

What's top of mind: Having a safe school year and hoping FDA approves the vaccines soon so there is no more authentic reasons why people  feel it is not safe. DD2's college requires either vaccination or weekly testing, and the professors can decide if masks are required in their classrooms. Wait- she got an email that because they did not reach 85% vaccinated, masks will be required inside all buildings. She's fully stocked with masks again. I am happy that work decided to no longer have a state fair booth, so I am off the hook working it. While I would have been fully masked up, I just feel better not mixing in large crowds that I have no way to separate. I still have some relatives choosing not to vaccinate, and while it is their choice, and they are accepting the risk, I still do not want them ill. Some have kids under 12 with no choice and I don't want to be the spreader. 

Besides Covid and the school year, we have an ongoing debate as to whether our daughter will be able to safely fit all in her small car or if we will be taking the  8 hour round trip. She pretty much just has her bedding, clothes, and a couple bins of miscellaneous so it shouldn't' be a problem. DH is just worried about overly weighing down her small car. I want her to have to make choices and lean down what won't fit in two bins. 

Where I've been: Over the weekend of course, to the lake. Last night my daughters and I did a thrifting challenge. I will have a whole post coming up. Let's say we made a haul and details to come. The rules were loose, but all of us were successful. l ran errands with my daughter to help with odds and ends to pack up. I'm a big spender and got her new socks and underwear, but in honesty, they were more than her thrift haul. 

Where I'm going:  I'm very excited to go to the Immersive Van Gogh exhibit tomorrow. Fingers crossed that I'll get some good pictures and that too will be a future post. I'm happy that they still have all Covid protocols in place-one direction, social distance lines and masks required. My Mom's of Teens and Tweens (as I was not kicked out when my daughter turned 20) is having an outdoor meet-up on Monday. I haven't seen most of these women in a long time, except for those either on zoom, or the one in person book club meet up. We're an eclectic group, varying ages, and I am on the older end, but they still invite me! . 

What I'm reading:  I finished The Day Before Winter , the last of the Bennett's Island books by Elizabeth Ogilvie. Book club is starting up again. This book club is a off shoot of the Mom's of Teens and Tweens group. I don't know what book was selected, but I'll get it read as soon as I know it-and the date we pick to  meet up. 

What I'm listening to: Not really anything unless it is Ann's from Cooking and All that Jazz, lovely musical links. 

What I've been watching: I watched a Diane Keaton and Brendon Gleason movie, well, mostly nodded off during in, called Hampstead. A man lives off the gird in Hampstead Heath park in/outside of?? London, and she and he become friends and develop a relationship. That's the gist.  I tend to have the Today Show and Hoda and Jenna on in the back ground on mornings when I'm doing  stuff around the house. That has continued this week. 

What I'm eating:  Wednesday I made curry for DD2 and I, and froze a good portion for her to take back for her Sunday meal. She had requested chow mein as well, the canned version. I don't eat that and will let her have all the fun, probably for tonight's supper.  I need to cleanse from all the heavy food the last few weeks. 

Who I'm paying attention to: I'm not an ostrich so can't help having what is going on in Afghanistan on my mind. I'm not going to turn this into a political post, but this might be one area that I wish the former person in the White House, who started the  troop pull out, could get in line with the current  president implementing it, and realize both had the same intent, and not start scape goating each other. I worry about the humanitarian impact on those residents left behind, but agree it was a no win situation that after 20 years, was not getting any better with a US presence. 

What I'm planning:  Nothing really! I'll get the college kid on the road, enjoy the weekend with my girls, and back to regular work next week. DD1 was going to be on a long road trip but her  travel partner decided she couldn't afford the time off work and now they are planning something more on a weekend. This leaves my daughter with time off the same week DD2 is home on fall break. It's possible the three of us could get a short trip away, but you all know my uneasiness on flying with Covid still running amuck. I haven't progressed on DH and my plans either. 

What's Making Me Smile: I thought I had let my flower pots dry out, but they sprung back with a couple good morning watering's. We need color around here! Another thing making me smile is a maple tree that has spring up on the side of our yard. It is not in a great place, but DH and I are going to see if we can get it dug up and moved to the front yard. Maybe those stupid squirrels do serve some purpose other than annoying pup. 

     We are back to needing rain-desperately needing rain. The wild fires in north eastern Minnesota are too close for comfort and the smoky haze lingers. This summer just has felt like a downer and I hope fall gives us many days of needed rains followed by days of calm to be able to really get outside and enjoy.  As I close each week, I invite you to play along! What's going on in your life this week?

14 comments:

  1. Glad your week went well and that you got some time with family before the empty nest. I emailed a tree cutting service this past Monday, the owner came by and gave us a quote the same evening, and the work was done on Tuesday! We were shocked at the quick response and very pleased with the results. Yes, not cheap but needed to get done. Bad timing with no rain, so no tree planting this year and exposed us to more sunshine but I am relieved as it was a very large silver maple, very messy and huge branches hanging over our house and neighbors house. Once they get this large, they can be a danger in high winds. There was another one on the opposite corner that was affecting our neighbors catalpa trees, so had it removed too. Also had tree in back yard trimmed as branches were hanging and sometime touching power line to our house. Glad to have it done after discussing for a couple of years and him and hawing about the cost. Praying for rain. We've had about 2" total this summer. Fires are getting too close. Ranee (MN)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a tree that needs to be cut down. Firewood for if we can ever have one again outside. I am worried about the fires and draught.

      Delete
  2. : "Having a safe school year and hoping FDA approves the vaccines soon so there is no more authentic reasons why people feel it is not safe."
    Heh...you sure have a lot of faith in your fellow man, don't you? I feel like we are heading back into the Dark Ages with some of the sentiments. Public School 5 days/week, with masks mandatory. Opt out option for remote learning is the homeschool coop or alternative school. (It would appear our teachers don't appreciate having two full time jobs for one salary by having both remote/in person responsibility.) If nothing else, this situation cemented just how detrimental the over-reliance on technology has been for our students' education. The district is now seeing a big push for paper among parents, and I am overjoyed. Of course, my youngest is now in Dual Enrollment, so it's really too late to help him.
    As for Afghanistan, the former president actually attempted a Muslim ban on immigration. There were 16 GOP members who voted against extending emergency visas. That Islamophobic sentiment is now causing a good deal of the problems with the processing of the refugees, most of whom risked life and limb to serve as interpreters etc., to our troops. As to who is to blame...you'd have to go back to 1980. (Actually to Alexander the Great, probably.) But blame isn't the point. I am aching for those people. Oh, what a waste.
    I can't wait to see your thrifting post!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, not much faith but a little hope. Yes, Afghanistan has been volatile throughout history. I too just ache for the children and women that may have no future but zealot demands.

      Delete
  3. The immersive Van Gogh exhibit sounds fantastic. Do be careful. My fully vaccinated brother got a Delta Covid breakout case, and has been very ill for almost 2 weeks now. We think if he'd been unvaccinated it likely would've killed him. He works for the CDC so knows to be extra careful and always masks in public, yet he still got it somehow. Best to you and family, Celie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like they did a good job spreading people out, sanitisers masks, etc. It was a lovely event.

      Delete
  4. Afghanistan is a mess, but I don't blame Biden. When you replant your tree, make sure the tap root is pointing in the same direction it is presently. It sounds like your vacation was a hit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll definitely make sure to plant correctly.

      Delete
  5. The immersive Van Gogh exhibit is supposed to come here too but I am leery about going. Our Covid rates are just sky high now.
    DD2 is lucky to be going back to school with some home cooked food

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She ate the frozen curry! She makes me laugh. Stay healthy!

      Delete
  6. Can’t wait to hear about your thrift challenge. We stopped in the Goodwill where we had a lot of success last time and only found a few items but it was still fun. My daughter’s boyfriend left for college on Thursday so it’s been an emotional few days. I think they will be fine, it’s just going to be an adjustment. I already miss him and can’t imagine how they feel. Interestingly enough, the boyfriend’s roommate has a girlfriend the same age as my daughter and she is leaning towards the same college and her as well. Daughter also got her permit this week but isn’t in a huge hurry to drive. In PA you have to wait 6 months anyway so she couldn’t even test until February. I got a mystery bonus from work yesterday, not much but it filled my gas tank so I’ll take it. School starts here on Thursday and I’m quite nervous since they will be mask optional. One of the stores in our district had to shut down bc of Covid. There are plenty of events going on this weekend, county fair, a pickle festival and Italian days but we’re not chancing any of that. Maybe next year lol. Seems like the world is just a mess. I wish I had some answers but I don’t think things will be better for a long time sadly. JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got several posts to put together. Van Gogh, thrift challenge, but back to work tomorrow. I'm sure your daughter will be fine, but still hard to see him go I'm sure. Yes, the world is still such a mess.

      Delete
  7. My heart breaks for Aghanistan - particularly the women and girls who will be left to deal with a bunch of swaggering cavemen who get to decide their futures. I've had to turn off the news for a while! Hope your daughter has a safe trip though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am weary for their futures as well. Daughter is on the road now. I'll be antsy until I know she's there and stuff moved in.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.