Tuesday, September 7, 2021

Positively Tuesday-More Summer


      Here's a good photo to usher in what I consider the change of the season, the first day after Labor Day. This was from our solo week at the cabin last October, and as case rates  are growing, this may be where we spend our time off this year as well. There's still may weeks until then and the weather man says it is still summer with glorious sun and temperatures in the 70's-creeping towards 80 by Friday. I wouldn't be a Minnesotan if I didn't talk about the weather. Tuesday's, especially after a long weekend and mine was extra long, are my "just get through it" day of the week. I've tried to turn it into my  glass half full day and recap my joys, smile worthy things, and simple pleasures of the last week. There were a lot and I should be starting the week with a hop in my step, figuratively speaking. 

  1. I got a smile out of my 14 year old nephew, with help from his mom, buying lottery tickets for his brother for his 18th birthday. Apparently no big wins, but both were pretty pleased about the possibility as he scratched off the football helmets on the  cards.
  2. I had a stomached bug for several days starting Wednesday morning.  While I didn't take any sick time, I did lay down mid-day to let some Pepto kick in, and pup was right there to curl up with me. Pet's know when they might be needed, whether you'd like it or not. 
  3. We had a few mornings of rain, but it made for nice coolish weather to get pup out before starting work. I feel like I have clearer head when I get a walk in before starting. And yet, I don't make time to do this enough. 
  4. I felt like I was playing hooky from work on Friday afternoon, even though it was my flex day off, going to a movie with DD1. The 15 year old inside me thought this might not be a bad thing to do for real some afternoon for a mental health break. This is actually allowed and even called out as a need under our sick time provisions. 
  5. I didn't buy flowers at the Farmers market on Saturday since we were splitting our weekend time between home and the lake. I spent a few minutes just appreciating the beauty and will get some next weekend. The people I saw buy them, had smiles on their faces and that gave me joy.
  6. I bought a lovely butternut squash at the market and when I went grocery shopping, I purchased nutritional yeast. I couldn't really find a recipe for he Trader Joe's vegan mac and cheese, but Big Box Vegan had some hacks to help improve part of the flavor that some find  might be off-putting. I think I can  come up with my own sauce using the squash, nutritional yeast,  milk beverage, and perhaps some white beans like I used for a pizza sauce last fall.  I found this version from the Veganista that doesn't use any milk product, but cashews. I get excited to experiment, and I love squash so even if not quite the same, I can't imagine that it won't be tasty. 
  7.  Saturday night could not have been better way to spend an evening. My sister  sent out a group text to see if anyone wanted to join her for dinner outside at a restaurant overlooking the river. DH and I, the texting sister, another widowed sister, my single brother, and my oldest brother and his wife joined. Service is slow at this place in normal times, but they were very short staffed and busy, which worked to our favor as we could spend nearly 2 1/2 hours without feeling guilty occupying the table.
  8. Should I shut up about the weather? Sunday was even better than Saturday! DH and I took the boat for a final summer ride before his BIL helped him get it on the trailer to take to a place for winterizing. It would have been nice to keep out for a few more weeks, but the guys had one day only ample enough help to get the large dock in, and there would no longer be a good place to secure the boat. The pontoon will stay through next weekend, moved temporarily to the smaller dock at the other cabin. That other dock is much easier to take in. DH has someone come get the pontoon and winterize, and then they'll bring back in the spring. DH will get his boat and park at the cabin once it is winterized. As we decided to keep it, he will invest in a few things to make next summer easier such as a fitted cover and cleats for the dock for securing it instead of the gerryrigged process he used this summer. 
  9. Yesterday I wanted to use up some bananas that were taking over my freezer and yet more of the plain yogurt lingering in the fridge. I made three small bread pan loaves, using  baking mix, yogurt, assorted spices, and the bananas. I realized when I ate my first piece that while it was tasty, it wasn't very sweet, but the banana, cinnamon, all-spice, and nutmeg flavors really came pleasantly through. I had forgotten to add additional sugar! Well, I guess I invented a new bread- sort of a cross between a biscuit, a scone, and a quick bread. 
  10. While I was working mid day (and I got one major task off my plate), DH and DD1 met up for a walk by the river. After I finished what I intended to complete, I cleaned the porch while pup kept me company, watered my flowers which are trying to hang on, and then pup and I played a bit before relaxing until they got home. It was a satisfying end of my last day of calendar summer. 
     I'm in no hurry for true fall. My days don't change with the start of the school year, other than what my work day consists of. I'm happy to hold onto summer for many weeks. I'll be avoiding pumpkin spice in my baking and will slip out later for a walk and my lunch outside. How about you? What simple pleasures, joys, and smiles have you had this past week? Are you ready for fall or wanting to hold on to summer  a bit longer like me?

15 comments:

  1. I am absolutely not ready to give up on summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you, at least to me, seem to have summer though the end of October!

      Delete
  2. Simple pleasures:

    Sam having two friends over to swim. These friends haven't been over in two years, due to COVID. It was really nice to see them again, and they have grown so much!

    I bought chocolate covered bananas & strawberries for the swimmers, and tried the chocolate covered bananas from Trader Joes. They are amazing. I only got a couple of pieces (for the best, I'm sure), but will definitely buy them again. What a fun summer treat.

    It was fun to watch Nick at the tournament this weekend, despite the time commitment. I reminded myself that we missed so many of those moments due to COVID. He scored three goals over the weekend, and enjoyed himself.

    M & I had a glass of wine by the pool yesterday. There was zero alone time together all weekend (soccer tournament, and then Sam having friends over yesterday), so it was lovely just to have a few minutes to laugh & catch up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think those things we weren't able to do, but are the joys of ordinary life is what is appreciated the most. Like your pool party, soccer games, and wine by the pool, being able to sit by the river Saturday night for a few hours with food and cocktails was such a treat.

      Delete
  3. I’m sorry you were sick with a stomach bug for a few days and hope you are feeling back to your self. I’m glad you had your pup to keep you company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt fine otherwise-just wonky n the stomach and of course, wanted to be close to my bathroom.

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful photo! Glad you have such a lovely place to go to relax.
    Sorry about the tummy bug, but I hope you are feeling better.
    I'm ready for fall! I don't like really hot weather, and there have been enough storms and floods and tornadoes in our area. Maybe fall will be calmer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand. We have had the opposite-no storms, and finally got some needed rain in August. June and July had such miserable heat and August was lovely. Then, I lost 9 days with my daughter as she had to go back to school. I guess I want another August, so will be happy i September sneaks in another month of summer for us.

      Delete
  5. WOW sorry about your bug. I do think stomach bugs are the worst. They just zap you. But it sounds like you had a lovely week. I had the fall decorations pulled down, but who knows when I will have time to decorate? It brings me joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm holding off putting anything leave and pumpkin out for true calendar fall. I think we'll get another summer da Sunday at the lake if the weather cooperates.

      Delete
  6. I’m trying to hang on to summer. Fall is fine, but I hate that it’s cold in the morning and then warm in the afternoons. Makes it tough to decide what to wear. Of course, what is my life without chaos, so I found out today that my district manager who came in and reduced everything to a pile of destruction is quitting and leaving us without a dm through the holidays. Today the statewide mask mandate went into effect at schools. When I dropped off my daughter today they had the side doors locked that she always goes in so she had to walk through a group of protesting parents (not students), local news and police cars. I was furious. I almost took her right back home. They took away our online option. Bring it back and and I don’t care what those losers want to do in that school. I’m fine with us never stepping foot in there again. I would like her to graduate from the only school district she’s ever known and that’s the only reason we keep her there. And call me crazy but I think protesting is way more distracting than a mask. My friends daughter drove to school and was scared about all the commotion. Something terrible could have very easily happened today. And we have yet to hear any response from the school. I’m frustrated and embarrassed by their lack of action. I really hope this was one and done and tomorrow is back to normal. JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm beyond sick of mask protests! Fine, you don't think they help, but there is literally no danger in them being warn and kids just want to be back with their friends. Even if every other place no one is wearing them, that 1/3 of the place kids are that will perhaps see less transmission. I had a muttering man sort of following me in the store the other day, talking trash about Covid and masks wearing. While I am sure it was directed at me, I chose to ignore his ranting. hope your daughters school stays safe and the so called grownups get their asses home.

      Delete
  7. I am hanging onto summer as long as I can. No, one can never talk too much about weather that is pleasing. We ate at the park three or four times last week. The skies were beautiful, so it was quite satisfying.
    Can you give us the recipe like you made it and how it should be? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No recipe-I basically just smashed three banans into two cups of baking mixe, and a cup of yogurt and a bit of water-shoudl have probalby added 3/4 to 1 cup of sugar for a sweet bread.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you and your hubs have realized you like the boat. It will be such a pleasure to use next year! And I hope you're feeling better now!

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.