Monday, September 6, 2021

Meal Plan: First Full Week of September

 

     It is my first effort to get on top of the September challenges by doing a bit of meal planning and doing so in a way that uses up any leftovers or odd ingredients. I have today off technically, though I'm going to tuck in this morning and get about 3-4 hours of my paid job in. DH needs to mow the lawn, weed whack, and a few other outside bits. When he's done, I intend to give the porch railing, floor and siding a good sweep, then tackle the dirt with soap and water. The porch is small and I still do not have my desired seating, but it's an awfully nice place to relax with a book or with, a beer, glass of wine or a morning coffee on a fall  day. Work and the porch are the two main things I want to get done, but there are a lot of other things that need attention. It is a day for labor, right? 

     A bit about my September challenge, well challenges. I'm aiming to  keep the grocery spending at $300, using a variety of strategies like humble meals, using all leftovers and avoiding waste, and using up lingerers in cupboards and freezer drawers. I'm also trying to whittle the eating out/entertainment budget by $50-and am off to a rocky start on that one after this weekend. Money aside, I don't want the month to be all rice and beans (though they are tasty), and I want balanced, healthy meals, aiming for enough calories from nutrition dense foods, not fillers, and getting our five fruits and vegetables a day in. Last week, I covered Friday-Friday. Here's how I did: Black is plan, red with changes. 

  • Friday: Mushroom stroganoff penne pasta, apple cinnamon quick bread from a packet. 
  • Saturday-Frozen Lottsa Mozza Supreme pizza movie night.
  • Sunday- Cinnamon rolls and fruit before heading to the lake Italian pasta salad, ham and cheese roll ups, sweet corn plus, we stopped for Cheddar brats on buns (forgot leftover brats and they were cooked dup by family members with other food on Friday of the week so did not go to waste)
  • Monday- Chicken Kiev, rice, mixed vegetables.
  • Tuesday- Birthday dinner at family members.
  • Wednesday- Red bag chicken, mashed potatoes, corn on the cob, green bean casserole, Take and bake bread from freezer
  • Thursday- Macaroni and cheese, muffins, green beans.casserole leftovers
  • Friday-None of the plan happened, as we ate leftovers, plus a spinach artichoke dip from the freezer. Pasta bake with mozzarella, garlic drop biscuits or bread if I'm ambitious.
  • Saturday, We ate out with several of my siblings as it was such a gorgeous evening my sister really wanted to be outside. We decided to just go up to the the lake on Sunday instead of for the night. Both DH and I had huge taco salads.

Now for the week ahead:

Sunday- I made another pasta salad-this one loaded with farmers market vegetables, meatballs in BBQ sauce, tortilla chips and corn and black bean salsa. There were other salads and pulled chicken for sandwiches as well as my meatballs and we ate a large family meal around 2:00 as we all were getting end of summer stuff done. DH picked up Jimmy Johns (that darn budget category is inflating fast) as we weren't hungry when we left, but got hungry about 8:00. I brought home leftover salad for lunch today, salsa, and about 1/4 of the meatballs, which I tossed in the freezer. If not called out, assume each meal has a vegetable or two. We'll both have at least two servings of fruit in the day. 

  • Monday: Marinated grilled chicken, roasted red potatoes(need using up), stuffed red pepper with cous cous (partial box in pantry irritating me) and cheese, garlic bread (This is a lot of food but I'm trying to use up a few things that need using today and we will get a couple lunches with leftovers)
  • Tuesday: Taco Tuesday, with refried beans and Spanish rice
  • Wednesday: Vegetarian chili, using the remaining black bean and corn salsa, crackers or a grilled cheese on the side
  • Thursday: Chicken and pasta bake, with tomato and cucumber salad
  • Friday: Sloppy Joes, sweet potato wedges
  • Saturday: Homemade pepperoni pizza
     When I start to think of next week, Ill keep in mind the $57 or less average to spend if I want to meet the $300 grocery challenge. Mainly, that will go towards fresh food. I'm looking forward to these meals and the leftovers I will likely be eating for my lunches. 

12 comments:

  1. I just built my menu plan for the week as well. I'm going to cook a big dinner tonight, and also prep tomorrow's dinner, as I need to get ahead. Good luck with your grocery challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I made the chicken, I made sure we are good for later in the week as well. I'm already thinking of changing things up a bit as I noticed other things we have to use.

      Delete
  2. I too have M&C on the menu - a new 'proper' recipe reportedly the best of the best .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine was just OK-I didn't make a proper roux, the true key to mac and cheese.

      Delete
  3. Your menu sounds so good. Do you use any special marinade for your grilled chicken? I’ve been wanting to make chili but thought it would be odd in this weather, but now that I see it on your menu, I’m going to add it to ours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing special-usually just olive oil and then the pantry garlic, onion, paprika, Italian seasonings. I had about 1 1/2 inches of Italian dressing in the refrigerator and this time I used that. It was not the best choice.

      Delete
  4. I admire you for having a plan. Even when I was still working I never had a weekly plan. I always got something out the freezer the night before but a whole week? Never! I do think that's the way to go though. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll rethink things as the week goes on, but if I sort of have an idea, I stay better organized and avoid waste.

      Delete
  5. We spend less than $50/wk on groceries and eat well--fruits and vegetables every day and meat at least once each day and another protein source at lunch and breakfast. So, it is possible. Your meals sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a spouse with a fast metabolism-he needs a large amount of calories. Yoru budget sounds quite low-more power to you if you can do it like that. I guess you have or prefer less variety than we do. I generally don't plan more than 1 night with leftovers or the same meals in the same week. I could not eat the amount of chicken you prepare-unless I had to of course.

      Delete
  6. Your menu sounds really good.
    It is still too warm here for chili---but soon it will happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might be too warm here, but I can use up the last of my black bean and corn salsa, the reminder of some tomatoes form a can, some wilting celery and zucchini (we love zucchini in chili), so this will be more a use it up chili. I'll keep it vegan so I can share with my daughter to add some variety to her lunches.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.