Friday, September 3, 2021

Sam's World in W's



     I was a much more homebody this week than last. The exhaustion after work and the Covid variant kept me from Trivia. I might put it on pause until we get a few weeks past the start of the school year and see how the case rates are at. We did go to a family party and I brought my daughter corn, and pup came with for an outside visit. That excitement aside, here's the rest of the week in review and I guess ahead. 

What's top of mind: My "To Do" list for fall is on my brain, but without strong physical motivation and stamina to tackle. I guess I just need to get it one and not think about it, and then I'll see progress. I need to get my thrifted new to me outfit washed. It is still sitting where I left it two weeks ago. (which means I have not dusted or vacuumed that particular spot of the house either.) September is going to be a low spend month, so that is top of mind and coming up with a few self imposed challenges to make a game out of it. 

Where I've been: Family birthday and my daughters porch, neighborhood walks, and a brief run in an out of the Dollar Tree. I glanced around but they were busy so did not linger. They had so many cute Halloween, Thanksgiving, and fall items. I need some apple and fall-not harvest, not Halloween things. No-I don't need, but I want these things. The lure of cheap décor at DT is a bad habit I am guilty of indulging in. 

Where I'm going:  My daughter and I have an outing today-matinee movie, so theater should be pretty empty. We'll get to the lake at some point for things that typically happen Labor Day weekend. I need to grocery shop, but I have some planning I want to do first. While I think grocery planning, I'll add both the farmers market and the roadside stand to my list. 

What I'm reading: The Sunday  paper-front to back and all the sections. It has been ages since I did that but I brought the newspaper along to the cabin and sat on the pontoon with a Diet Coke and relaxed. 

What I'm listening to: I listened to the last issue of Trader Joe's podcast-Summer Sparkle last night. I'm only a bit late, but no time like the end of summer to get ideas on what is in the store. "Delicate rolled wafers filled with lemon" sounds like summer to me. My favorite is their sparkling lemonade-any time of year. 

What I've been watching: Because of a Vlog reference, I checked out the Netflix show, Dash and Lily. It was cute-a sort of twist on a pen pal between two teens who meet through a red journal found on the book shelf of the Strand Book Store. It was a short series that took place the two weeks before Christmas through New Years Day, obviously not in the time of Covid. . 

What I'm eating:  I have been using the meal plan to a point but with some variations. I ended up making green bean casserole (the only time we say casserole in Minnesota) because I had more than 1/2 a cannister of the French fried onions. We at this a couple nights as our vegetable. We also had more corn than we could eat on Sunday, so had again last night. 

Who I'm paying attention to: I could repeat the current new events, but I will look beyond the world mess. DH hurt his foot again-the place with the soft tissue  damage flared up and he came home Wednesday night in agony. This time he did take ibuprofen right away, and stayed off it and it felt better on Thursday. I'm paying attention, but man is his lack of listening to his body, and following up on getting care when needed, really irking me off. He has had dry eyes and is obsessed with eye drops-the ones that say if the dryness persist for 72 hours, seek medical help. Well, how about 5 times 72 hours? This goes with the next one, but I'm paying attention to those in harms way from natural weather events as well as the fires. If you've been impacted, you have my sympathies. 

What I'm planning:  My colleague that retired has me looking again at potential relocation places for  6 years from now. I've been exploring the real estate market in North Carolina. Who knows anything about it? Where's the best communities to look in North Carolina? We do not need to be near the ocean, in fact I'd prefer being driving distance for a beach day but not to live in hurricane danger zone. We have extended family in North Carolina. The only other place with better weather than Minnesota that we have family is Florida, but that is a no go for me. 

What's Making Me Smile: Our birthday gifts were hits with the kids, but my SIL hit it out of the park finding a Simone Biles t-shirt for my gymnast niece. It was cute seeing her eyes shine when she saw it. Our nephew was over the top excited with his cash gifts as he was putting it towards new fishing gear. This kid bounces of the walls even more than my son with ADHD ever did, but put a fishing pole in his hand at the lake, and you won't hear a word for hours. 

     We had a good rain soaking overnight and I am ready to be productive this morning. I have a list a mile long of work work items, but I think I might actually give myself the Friday off  and tackle Monday while DH is at work. I already shared a small splurge with my daughter is a movie outing. It's the new Marvel, and I have no idea if I will enjoy, but it has the fabulous Michelle Yeoh. She's done with her quarantining, but we will wear masks in the theater and have seats spread wide from others. I'm feeling like we are back to 2020, but I hope there is a light on the horizon. Play along if you'd like. What are the W's in your world right now?

19 comments:

  1. The only place I'm going this weekend is to a soccer tournament (don't be jealous). ;-) Otherwise, Sam is going to a birthday party, & I have Monday off. Still need to figure out what I'm doing on Monday, but hopefully a family bike ride or tennis game.

    Today I'll be finishing off performance reviews & promotion write ups. There are 24. It's so much work, & I'll be thrilled when I'm done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do miss the kids weekend games, so I am a bit jealous. I too have a review, plus a list of another 6 action items, each that need a good couple hours, to get done before Wednesday noon. Yep, I'll be working this weekend.

      Delete
  2. Good luck getting your husband to do something about his health. Men can be very difficult when it comes to seeing a doctor, but I hope you twist his arm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might have to get the kids guilt tripping im again. That worked for his foot the last time. What do you say when the girls say, "I'd like you to be able to walk me down the aisle, someday?" Hard to rebut them!

      Delete
  3. Oh let us know if you like the new marvel movie. Hope you have a relaxing weekend.
    I'm in VA, so before covid, we would travel to NC often. I'm more a mountain girl, and I think Asheville is pretty cool, and I like the Blue Ridge parkway. But Raleigh-Durham-Charlotte would be nice if you want more of a city vibe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did enjoy it, and we are Marvel fans. It has another really good Chinese actor I remember form a few good films, Tony Leung. It was predictable of course, and is set up to have a few follow-up movies. I've poked around a bit on real estate sites. It seems we could get what we are looking for, including a pool, in about the same or less than our house would likely sell. Charlotte is a Delta Airlines hub so it would be an area with good flights back and forth from Minnesota.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the review! Sounds like a fun movie!
      We actually thought about moving to Charlotte from northern Va, but wanted to get out of the rat race. Have fun exploring whatever you decide.
      Hope you have a fun weekend.

      Delete
  4. You sound like you had a great week, I love the reading the paper on the pontoon with a diet coke. What could be better? My husband gets soft tissue damage in his feet also. He is very flat footed. He wears boot type shoes always and sometimes a brace at night it really helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He might need to wear something at night. HE hates how his gait is with the bot they gave him, but it did help stabilize.

      Delete
  5. We took on a little water and the flooding reached halfway up my road, but we survived. It will take a few days to dry up and sanitize but nothing like the catastrophic floods others got. A wobble 30 miles either direction would be a different story. If nothing else, it helped motivate me in my clean it up/use it up/donate/low spending mission. We think we don’t have a lot of stuff-but we do. Daughters boyfriend is home for the weekend and they are at the football game. I’m watching online again. We’re playing against the team that many of my coworkers have ties to and we’re crushing them :) Nothing much else going on around here. I’m okay with that. JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm spending today doing things I need to get done around the house, and then tomorrow the lake. My daughter is up there now though. I bet the young love kids are happy to see each other.

      Delete
  6. Men are hopeless when it comes to paying attention to their health and doing the proper thing to get better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just don't get why one wouldn't want to feel better?

      Delete
  7. I love all your W's.
    We decided we should relocate to St Louis. Then we would be central to all of our sons, unless Son3 moves to Europe, which could happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I replied to someone above. I think looking for a place with a good airport and flight hub would be good. It would be exciting for your son and DIL to live in Europe, but it does make things that much harder. Likely we would still spend significant time in Minnesota spring to fall, but would stay at the lake.

      Delete
  8. I know people in the Triangle (RDU) area, and a close friend of my sister retired to Wilmington. The RDU folks LOVE their area. Although I don’t live in the South, I take online classes through Duke U’s OLLI program for learners over 50. An incredibly welcoming community with great instructors. Some of the classes are recorded so that you can tune in at night or on the weekend. My sister’s friend moved from Outside of NYC to Wilmington. She is not terribly happy there. Not enough shopping or things to do, although closeness to the beach is nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess we all need to find what we like-I don't think I would care about shopping areas or things to do as we would relocate to have access to better weather in the winter. I like the idea of a college community-possibly lots of kids to hire to take care of the yard, though when we retire, I think DH would be happier getting back to doing that more regularly and not just when it has to be done. It's 6 1/2 year to early and already pending sold, but I saw an absolute dream home for us online. All one level living, with a sperate building that had a kitchenette and family/game room, plus a covered patio area out to a pool. It was less than our house would sell for here! Wed be a travel destination for family and friends wanting an inexpensive get away and they could have own space.

      Delete
  9. Good for you for getting the Sunday paper
    I advise more and more folks read not listen or watch the news as less upsetting to the psyche.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we get a bonus Thursday edition with it. It is the one time a week I get my news in print.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.