Thursday, September 2, 2021

Thrifty Thursday-Now. on to September

      It's a new month. Picture me with my hand in a fist, shaking to the sky, as I vow that it will be the most thrifty month of them all! This means using my time, resources, and money well, not frittering away any of them away. We have no big events this month, no birthdays, and no extravagant spending needs on the horizon. Murphy may decide otherwise, but for now, I'm entering the month with a rose colored glass filled with good intentions. Here's  my recap of the last seven days. As a reminder to myself, I try and look at thrift beyond just money and include how I use my time and resources.  . 

Time

  •  Meet up with my mom friends. While I saw one earlier in the week, I hadn't seen J since her son's grad party, and S since May when we last met for a group walk. Life intervenes but I hope now with cooler weather in September, we'll have a few more meet0us outside for long walks, and catch-ups.
  • We had a lovely day at the lake on Sunday-two empty nest couples, but we also did our own thing and stayed later than they did so had time to ourselves. 
  • We got a Facebook four way call to work with all three kids on Monday night. My son does not have set hours, and both the girls had a lot on their plate, but we managed an hour live!
  • I was in charge of the gift and we had a Zoom  retirement party for a colleague that has already relocated to another state. I actually had a previous working relationship with her and have known her for 28 years.
  • DH left work early so we went with me to the birthday party for the twin and their brother. There's always a weird vibe with my SIL's parents, but I had a short, but pleasant conversation with her mom. 
Resources  
  • I meal planned, and so far so good, with items we had on hand. We did pick up brats and buns plus sweet corn for the lake though. 
  • I brought two ears of corn over to DD1. The remaining I cooked and then took the kernels off the two ears not eaten and popped in the freezer. They will go into chowder this fall.
  • i watched the YouTube video on treats from the pantry, and made the bars I shared yesterday with stuff on hand. Correction-my daughter shared not all rice crispy are vegan, so I need to look better to determine what are or not. 
  • I cleaned out the refrigerator last night, and identified a few more things that must be used up this week before grocery shopping. Sadly both some carrots and celery needed to be tossed. 
  • I made some dog treats for pup with  part of a sweet potato, oatmeal, and peanut butter. After a second time getting sick after having dog biscuits (tough we don't for sure know that was the cause), we won't buy them any more for him. 
  • Did a couple loads of clothes and line dried more than I normally do. I know I should line dry in the nice weather more often, but I just don't think enough to do so. 
Money
  • I passed on the $20 towards $50 purchase from the Gap to my sister-in-law I earned from the twins sweatshirts and tee's for their b-day. I do not need to buy anything more from the Gap, but she stays current on fashion and thought she could likely use.
  • As I mentioned I was in charge of the retirement gift, a preloaded Visa Card, for our colleague. We each contribute voluntarily and I made the purchase for the total. There was a 1% services fee, but I found a code that saved 1%, so avoided the service fee. It was though Vanilla cards. 
    I'll grocery shop, but I'll plan careful so I know what we have and have a plan for meals. We are presumably out of several cleaning supplies, but I'll do a deep  inventory of partial bottles and sprays to use up odds and ends, then restock more minimally. I'd like September to be a budget bare month. To off set the low spending, I'm crossing fingers that the weather is good for getting out to some state and county parks, eating and having drinks outside, and other free to low cost activities. What did you do that was thrifty this week? Are you looking forward to more outdoor time as the weather cools down or are you sad to see the hot days of summer leave?

12 comments:

  1. I definitely need to rethink our grocery budget. The rest of our budget items are pretty consistent, and are controllable by us. Dining out is similar - we discuss & are typically okay with how much we're spending. Grocery spend tends to just accumulate, without as much thought on 1) are there ways to cut back and 2) how much is due to poor planning/overbuying, and how much is due to cost increases.

    I have more work to do here in September. Hope you have a great & thrifty month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know when I had two teens, my bill was through the roof, so you might just need to accpet. At one point with a toddler and two teens (before my daughter went vegan) I know I bought 8 gallons of milk a week alone between drinking and baking in the summer months-some week sin the school year too if they happened to have a lot of frineds Make a pan of cinnomon rolls on a Friday afternoon and see a crew of boys go through a gallon in one sitting.

      Delete
  2. I am on a no spend September, to make up for my spectacular failure to manage a no-spend August. I am NOT taking into account the expenses incurred in the house building. What the no spend will do, however, is help offset those costs. Yes, we've budgeted for them, but no spend month help even more. I have been told that I should consider stocking up on certain items, grains, particularly, and I *might* if, say, I find an excellent sale on flour or rice. Otherwise, our freezer is full, as is our pantry, so I don't intend to head out to stores. No running out to grab a bottle of merlot for the weekend, no eating out, no prowling thrift shops. We will do without. My fall decorating will consist of my quilts, glass pumpkins I already have, and the Jack-Be-Little pumpkins I grew. For entertainment, I have been picking the blackberries which are ripening and falling off the bushes before my eyes, and I have several quilt projects to complete. I will, however, keep an ear and eye out for Christmas gifts. I LOVE a good no spend challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have a few stashed bottle of wine form wine club even though that's been years, and a few gift bottles. I'll make due withthe last of the wine box I bought form our frineds day at hte lake, and some beer. Ihear you though-I can't go no spend as we need basics, but this is not the No Name Steak and Chicken at $14 for two small kind of month. It is an Aldi and Kwik Trip month. I will splurge though on orchard apples towards the end of the month.

      Delete
  3. A new month, a new challenge! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm plannig to have fun with it. Ithink a few on paper challenges lie a Dollar Tree Meal plan, or a week oflunches for under $1 each sort of thing (thogh I typically just eat leftovers or whatever I piece meal together anyway.)

      Delete
  4. I have already bought too much fruit and ice cream. I have not bought Halos for six months or more and there were blackberries. But, we will eat it all. I have not bought meat in a while. I am making those bars this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband goes on ice cream kicks. I eat it rarely at home.

      Delete
  5. I highly recommend saving a ton of money as well as exposure to icky chemicals and smells by cleaning with vinegar and baking soda. SUPER cheap too! https://www.today.com/home/how-clean-your-home-using-only-2-ingredients-t16236

    I haven't bought a chemical in at least 15 years and I cannot estimate the money saved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do use baking soda and vinegar, but yes, I do use others. I know that's healthier but some things just don't get clean enough with just those items. To each our own.

      Delete
    2. Would you be willing to share what you find isn't clean enough? Maybe I'm not noticing something I should be?

      Thanks!

      Delete
    3. The bathroom mainly-floors, sink, tub. It's just m preference-keep doing what works for you.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.