Thursday, September 9, 2021

Thirfty Thursday- Little Investments

       Another week trying to make the most of my limited time, resources, and money. Family was a prominent feature in the past week, as they are the constant in my life. While I'm trying to spend as little as possible this month while still living the good life, I made a few investment purchases that will save money in the long run, but will try my best to categorize into the monthly budget targets. 

Time

  • A text from my sister resulted in an impromptu meet up for dinner and drinks on a patio restaurant overlooking the river. It was a perfect night and I'm glad I said yes-even though it was a meal out I had not planned so early in September.  
  • We had a lovely another good day at the lake on Sunday and took care of things that needed done. DH got the boat out, after we had a little tool around the lake by ourselves. 
  • Even though I had to work about three hours on Monday, it was a good bonus day off. I did some baking, baked extra chicken for dinner and later in the week, got my porch cleaned, and also got a long walk and a few hours outside relaxing. It was a pretty good Monday holiday.
  • I spent time on my Saturday post laying out how I want to tackle mini challenges. I did a bit of research, AKA, YouTube watching, to see how others have  approached the $5 Dollar Tree, or 3 meals for $3 each. I have a lot of fun with my challenges, which are for amusement purposes only, but with the side benefit of keeping a bit more money in my wallet. 
  • By test and email, my sisters and I have been planning a surprise 70th birthday for our brother.We finalized the plan this week. It will be at a county park and we'll all share in the food prep and the nominal rental fee for the pavilion so it can happen rain or shine.  
Resources  
  • I meal planned again, after a semi successful week last week. I based a few meals on cleaning out the fridge. 
  • I froze the corn of two ears of corn. They will go in soup once it gets colder.
  • I used the last of the red potatoes and onions from my daughters take home produce. The bonus produce was a real gift and I will remember this when I make our next donation to our local food shelf. 
  • While not really chili weather yet, I have a sort of chili going in the crock pot now using the rest of the tomato and juice  form the can I used for black bean and corn salsa, the rest of that salsa, a large cut up chink of a zucchini, two wilting celery stalks, 1/2 a red pepper,1/2 a tomato and a can of chili beans. Our daughter is joining us for supper and she's bringing the loaf of bread left in her freezer form my younger daughters take home items from a month ago. 
  • I bought my fresh vegetables this week at the farmers market. 
  • My daughter had bought a box of whole wheat crackers early in the summer for the lake and they never got opened. She passed on to me and I've been enjoying with hummus and cucumber for snacks. They are dated the end of September, but we'll use with the chili, as well as I'll keep snacking on them. 
  • My daughter picked up two vacuum sealed containers of  tomato red pepper soup, and two of DH's granola at Trader Joes for me. This will both  add to our pantry, and saved me time and gas since she was there already.
Money
  • I  spent $14 to send the college kid a 16 ounce food thermos. She is really stretched for time to come home between classes and with this, she can microwave leftovers in the morning, and it will keep  for whenever she chooses to eat. While at her jobs there is a microwave, she doesn't work at times she would typically want to eat. This will help her get a hot meal while finding a quiet place between class and work to do homework. 
  • The college kid also ordered a new keyboard protector. As expensive as her computer is, making sure to keep dust, food, etc. falling into the keyboard area is an essential investment to prolonging the life. Her cover is beat up, filled with stickers, but it still is protecting the case itself so she decided she didn't need to replace that. 
  • She got her course schedule/registration verification sent in for the scholarship she will receive through my work. She'll need to send her final verification at the end of the school year and will get her $1,500.
  •  I ate leftovers for lunch my lunch most of the week with exception of last Thursday.
  • DH used a coupon and got us BK for lunch on said Thursday. It was a $5 savings off two meals. I do like a Burger King Whopper, one of the only fast food burgers I like. 
    I've spent another $13 this week on the items my daughter picked up for me, so will take that off the weeks shop. As I do not need much fresh stuff, I'll put a bit of my grocery budget for the week, towards a few more pantry items. It's another perfect September day and plans are to take a walk by the river tonight after supper with my daughter. Its a perfect way to maximize time, resources, and money and have an evening out of the house. What wins did you have this past week? 

12 comments:

  1. Hey and impromptu dinner with a sister, is never a waste but a blessing. I love that you are having a birthday party for your brother. I wish I could have a relationship with my brothers. I hope college girl is still singing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dinner with two sisters and two brothers even! My brothers are polar opposites, but good guys in their own ways. My oldest brother and sister are my God parents-and he and his wife our our youngest's God Parents, s we are all pretty close. Yes, she singes in a choir that meets daily, plus an acapella choir for fun, and has weekly voice lessons.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like another good week for you, Sam. The thermos for your daughter is a good idea. We enjoy Burger King too from time to time. Bailey really likes their whopper too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it is likely not any healthier than any other fast food, but it has a tomato slice at least.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a really good week, still filled with family & some fun!

    Things have been busy on our side, but we did quite a bit of cooking over the weekend, which has helped us avoid takeout. For some weeks, it's the small stuff!

    From a time perspective, I'm trying to juggle carpools to soccer, because we have five practices/week, often at the same time, and it's very hard to manage. That said, I love the time chatting with Sam on the way to soccer. He's always talking about what he learned in history, and asking interesting questions. On the way home, he's pretty tuckered out, so minimal chatting. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are simple joys with car pooling-conversations with our kids is one. I say avoiding take out is more than a little win when you have such a busy family.

      Delete
  4. Glad you had a good week!
    Time with family is the best! Sounds like a lovely evening with your sister, and what fun planning a birthday celebration for your brother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope my brother enjoys it He plans to head south again by mid October, so it will be a big send off as well as his b-day.

      Delete
  5. I love Whoppers! The thermos sounds like a good investment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope she uses the thermos and gets the money worth. I've looked in second hand places, but I don't think people get rid of them for food.

      Delete
  6. I think your brother fortunate to have such thoughtful sisters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He most certainly is! He was married for 6 years in his 20's and hasn't had a partner since. His ex-wife (they're still good friends), his daughter, a highschool friend, and us sister's keep him from totally being a hermit and give reasons for him to join civilization once in awhile.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.