Friday, October 8, 2021

Week of W's-Pup Leads Off Edition

 

     It seems like just a day ago I was moaning about Tuesday. I truly must have blinked because I find it's Friday and I don't even know where the week went. We had some rain overnight-pup is outside right now and I hope he doesn't come in muddy. The barking patrol is going to start soon-usually does with the school buses and I'll need to bring him in as he loves joining in. What my dog is doing I guess is the first entry in my week in W's.


What's top of mind: This is a light one, but I'm trying to remember where I put a black lacy shawl. It really is top of my mind. My daughter is going to a wedding tomorrow and has a gorgeous black dress, but it will get cool and I think the shawl will be perfect for her. She thrifted the dress for something like $12 for her cousins wedding as a bridesmaid-only request was they all chose black dresses. It isn't designer, but I recall it was a high priced brand. It might be one of the first bridesmaid dresses in history that truly "can be worn again". 

Where I've been: It was only my daughter and I the other night for trivia. We finished 7 1/2 points behind the three way winners, who had a guess off for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Surely if my friends had been able to come, particularly if J brought his son, we could have come up with 8 more right answers and been victorious! Still, I was quite impressed with our  outcome and it was good to have time to talk with her. 

Where I'm going: Well, I was supposed to be going to my nephews football game Saturday morning, but sadly, three of their four kids, and my BIL's assistant at work have Covid. I guess the boys are not feeling very well at all, so keep them in your thoughts and that the others do not get it. I would worry about my BIL who is quite heavy, has a poor diet, and seems to get sick a lot anyway. I honestly don't know their vaccination status. They were big "No's" before Pfizer had FDA approval, but may have changed their minds. 

Other goings, I'm Zooming with some virtual friends met through Blogland tomorrow afternoon. Sunday morning we are doing a round of park clean-up-I have to run and pick up the garbage grabbers this morning from the parks department. It won't take long to clean the park, which is good, because it is DH and my anniversary. I think our Sunday plans are a long drive down the river and stopping for  BBQ at the place we found two years ago that DH still raves about. If DH asks me what I want, I'm going to suggest more mums. They are so pretty this year.

What I'm reading: I'm slowing starting Where the Crawdad's Sing for book club. I was so busy last weekend and exhausted at night this week, no reading at all in the evenings. 

What I'm listening to: After my journey to listen to Dar Williams last week, I got on a Joni Mitchell  mode this week. I moved on to cover songs of Joni Mitchell songs as well, which brings you down a Youtube streaming of semi related themes.I will often just find something on YouTube and let it go in the background. Often it is covers by people making music from their bedrooms, and quite enjoyable.

What I've been watching: I clicked on Finding Alice, a more recent BBC show I found either on Acorn or BritBox. Alice's partner dies very unexpectedly, and she's left navigating life, financials, family (and new family), and his business on her own, while fighting to keep hold of his dream house and where she thinks he wants to be buried. It is a comedy drama, that manages to remind us even when life is crap, there's reason to keep moving forward, but OK to allow yourself the needed meltdown f called for. I love Alice already and think I might let it stick around on my watch list for a while. There might only be one season of a few episodes. If you've seen, what are your thoughts. Alice, the character, is terrific, as is the actor, but darn if I remember her name. She might be the same actor from Ashes to Ashes.

What I'm eating: I ended up making a rice hotdish and not goulash the other night. Last night was the meatballs in mushroom gravy with potatoes, and plenty of leftovers. I made a can of  sweet corn bought from Walmart, their Great Value brand. It was inedible. It was hard and tasted like they picked and canned field corn, not sweet corn. Ugh,and I think I have nother can of it. With all the shopping I did last week, I didn't do much regular household grocery shopping. That's OK as once again I want to empty the fridge and freezer and do a thorough clean before restocking. We've already decided tonight will just be Trader Joe's Tomato Red  pepper soup and grilled cheese. If I don't shop tomorrow, I plan to give DH his gift tomorrow night and we can order a pizza with the gift card that came with the pizza grill kit. It's from a local pizza place that we don't order from often. It's all about avoiding shopping and cooking lately with me. 

Who I'm paying attention to: My BIL's family of course, but my older daughter is in the midst of wanting to change up her life. The possible change I mentioned last week was pending if she was made and accepted a job offer and relocation. It ended up being a ridiculous offer, but she's still looking at options and relocating. You all know I'll support my kids to the moon and back, which was why it was nice being just the two of us on Wednesday. We could talk about options, possibilities, and timelines. 

Who needs to be (figuratively) slapped: Maybe I'm a little mellower this week, but no one set my annoyance radar off too badly this week in my real life. I'll collectively slap all the parents going to school board meetings and screaming at board members about masking. We want kids in school-we don't want kids sick. It's not that hard a concept. Equally, I'll slap people that ignore a businesses sign that they require masks in their store. Put your damn mask on for the 15 minutes you need to spend your money.  Heck, it's not required, we're spread out in the brewery, and wear masks when ordering our brew. K-so maybe I'm not so mellow. 

What's Making Me Smile:  We have a few neighbors on our cul de sac with young kids. I really don't know them well, though we're wave and greeting friendly, and of course I've seen their kids a lot since working from home, Yesterday, one little girl whizzed past pup and I when sitting outside (of course he barked his foo head off at her) without training wheels. It was a nice milestone to see and made me smile. Her younger brother has his little bike, updated from just using his  feet to scoot, to now peddling with training wheels. He'll be following her next summer I bet. 

     That's what I got this week. There's 
still plenty of time if you'd like to join the Blogger Zoom Meet-up tomorrow. Send me a not at samandcoffee65@gmail.com. Enjoy your Friday-I need to let the barking pup in. 

14 comments:

  1. Looking forward to meeting tomorrow! It's on my calendar, and fingers crossed, so far, no soccer conflicts.

    Here's hoping that your family is on the mend, & that they have vaccinations to reduce complications/risk.

    We have a busier than usual Friday. A soccer practice was moved to this evening. I really enjoy Friday as a more relaxing day, but Nick needs a ride to/from tennis (too dark now to bike) & Sam needs a ride to practice. I've arranged for a ride home, so at least that saves me one trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't envy all the weekend driving. I've got a big list for today, Saturday, but no interuptions.

      Delete
  2. The house across the street is now the site of hammering as the roof is replaced. I know it is inevitable and will end soon, but I so dread this. How will I get my nap in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a crying child out my window yesterday.

      Delete
  3. I have a friend who wants me to read where the crawdads sing. Let us know what you think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some good things happening there for you. Sounds like a good week. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As good as things can be. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Scary about your family. Wishing them a speedy and full recovery. I’ve been reading In Cold Blood by Truman Capote with my daughter for school. I read it with my son two years ago as well. It’s his favorite book. Long work week done, got four inches chopped off my hair this evening, probably should have went for six. Stopped to surprise my daughter at work just as she was taking her break, perfect timing. Home now and about to put on some comfy clothes and do some cleaning while listening to the football game. One section of Fafsa left to finish and that’s completed. Chatted with my very pregnant and uncomfortable sister in law in Florida and the girls are having a tough time adjusting to the move and school. She sounded defeated and the hardest part is yet to come with Baby J due later this month :( Hoco dance tomorrow and daughters boyfriends birthday on Sunday. Enjoy your blogger meet tomorrow! JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never read In Cold Blood. Need to add to my list. I'll need to do FAFSA too. Not today though!

      Delete
  6. I hope your BIL and his family stay ok. It must be a real worry! And I read Where the Crawdad's Sing (I think it was Ms Moon that wrote about it) and thoroughly enjoyed it as it was very evocative! "See ya" later tonight on zoom (if my wifi holds out - it's rubbish)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your connection holds. Tonight's a reading night.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.