Saturday, November 20, 2021

Saturday Schmatterings- All I Need

      I've got no formalized plans, but the kitchen and bathroom need deep cleaning. Every room needs something but those are the worst offenders. If it gets a little nice, I want to get the dog either to a big park or the river. He's been very cute and puppy like with the weather a bit colder and deserves his too favorite activities, a car ride and sniff walks in different places. It's going to be like this all weekend- low key. Despite the gray and a day not feeling great, I'm having a decent November mindset so far,  pretty content with life right now, have pretty much all I need. I also have things I don't need like a bad knee and 70 extra pounds. 

Thanksgiving

     My daughter and I went to Aldi for Thanksgiving goods, and her weekly shop. I rounded out getting the things I'm bringing to my sister's and then for late appetizers, my Mother-in-law's. I changed my thinking a few times but settled on roasted sweet potatoes, ginger glazed carrots, and green bean casserole for my sister's. An olive tray/Mediterranean appetizer platter and crackers will be for MIL's. I'll bring loaves of pumpkin bread to both too. My daughter's bringing additional mashed potatoes that will be all plant based. She uses red potatoes and they are so good. Two years ago, all hers got devoured- no one that ate them knew they weren't the same as the big batch with butter and whole milk. Are you going, hosting, cooking, staying, or bringing side dishes? I'm all set with what I need and won't have to go into a crazy crowded store next week.


Friends 

     After Aldi, we were going to have a movie night. I'm avoiding Christmas so soon so looked for Thanksgiving or fall themed. We landed on watching several Friends Thanksgiving episodes. We watched The One They Play Football, the flashback one, and the one with rumor/ Brad Pitt, when married to Jennifer Aniston, was a guest. They're supposedly about my age, a few years younger, though a couple of the actresses are actually older than me. Many episodes haven't aged well- body shaming, homophobia, xenophobic tropes; they're sometimes subtle, but there none the less. They progressed quite a bit from early years to the last season, I suppose as awareness and intolerance for bigotry grew and was pointed out. Some people hate Friends and I can understand why. I watch it on occasion for a bit of nostalgia. Some of the Thanksgiving episodes, the ones above, are classics. We never have a single Thanksgiving meal without some forcefully saying, " Yams!" The reunion show was interesting to see parts from the actors perspective.

Sleeping In 

     Sleeping in sure is different both as I get older and when the seasons change. Unless I'm really sleeping late, I am up before sunrise even after daylight savings. I tend to wake up by 5:30 on my own no matter how late In up. This morning it was nearly 7:15.  I've even laid in bed reading emails and Blogger. If my college kid was home, she'd sleep past 10 and still think she's up early. My son sleeps later here, but that's because he doesn't change his circadian ryhthm from West Coast time. Pup can sleep all day and he'll still stay in bed as long as I do, but even if sound asleep, he's up usually within five minutes of me not going back to bed. I'm his circadian ryhthm setter I guess.


     That's another week wrapped up in the calendar. It's one of my SIL's birthday so will send a greeting. My day is right on Thanksgiving this year. I bought a box of Godiva lava cake mixes at Sam's Cub for my own treat, but I'll save for Saturday and not compete with pie. I can make between 2 and 12, so will just do two as I bet they'll be ridiculously rich. 


     Comment below with your thoughts on these or other schmatterings.

13 comments:

  1. My favorite Thanksgiving movie is Home for the Holidays. I think you can find it on Netflix or Amazon. It's a good one. I always look forward to Thanksgiving and all the left overs. Have a great Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen it. Holly Hunter is terrific. Remind me who plays her mom?

      Delete
    2. Anne Bancroft played the Mom.
      Jodie Foster was the director.

      Delete
  2. This time of the year I like to watch cheesy Hallmark Christmas movies. Beautiful people, wonderful decorations, lots of snow and always a happy ending. I guess we all need a dose of fairy tales from time to time. Thanksgiving happens to be my favorite US Holiday. Love the food and I think, Thanksgiving leftovers are the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheesy works for me when I want mindless escape. I'm planning large batches of my side dishes.

      Delete
  3. We will be right here! I am doing all the cooking and started last week. Puppy always ran like a young puppy when the weather was cool. She was so funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We do US Thanksgiving as a day of football - I make a big pot of chili and we have some nice buns and butter with it. Those lava cakes look amazing!

    My circadian rhythm is set to "bed at 1am, get up at 9am", so I'm still fighting with a work schedule. I don't sleep in like I used to (past 11am) - it just seems like a waste of day.

    Have a great weekend, Sam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that schedule would be hard for traditional work day. If I'm awake past 11, that's an all nighter!

      Delete
  5. I loved Friends and obviously never caught any of the digs but then I can be a bit dim! As for sleeping, I swear if sleeping were an Olympic even my kids could sleep for Britain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't when it was originally on but jumps out 27 years later. Wouldn't you love to be able to sleep.

      Delete
  6. I won't think or say the "C" word until Friday. First things first
    Now the sun sets so early, I want to sleep more, retire early.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, 3rd C, but I was thinking health "C's" Covid and Cancer. I worry about both with those in my family.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.