Sunday, December 26, 2021

After Christmas Slow

     

Image from BBC.

     Yesterday was pretty nice with my husband's family. Oddly, nice and while loud, calmer. Well, that might have been just me with the aid of the Pinot grigio wine box. Since my MIL decided she'd host, but didn't want to do the main meal nor drinks, I think it took loads off her and she could just relax. Food was plentiful and she has a few meals for today and tomorrow, or enough for her and a friend without needing to do any work. It was a long day though- getting there before noon, and not home until 8:30. 

     No cooking for me today. I've got a second small pan of cheesey potatoes, meatballs from Friday (and I froze enough for a meal), and lots of fruit, cheese, ham from my SIL, and the smoked salmon. There's olives, hummus, and bruschetta. DD1 and I are going to check out clearance sales and I'll get a baguette to hold those dips, but there's loads if crackers. Later, today or possibly not until Tuesday, I'll take my youngest to pick out her hiking boots. She's very excited and I would have been wrong in the size most likely. I think all my gifts were hits, but as I don't have young kids, they're the practical variety- leggings, pj's, mittens, hats, shower kits, and a main gift with all the littles. I got DS the tablet, which he used yesterday to video call, DD1 new kitchen sheet pans, chef's knife, and glass storage containers(bundled as a gift), and hiking boots for the youngest. We always top off with cash. DH got me a very complex Ninja Coffee maker. I'll explore on line to see if it will work. Poor guy- this purchase and wrapping of it stressed him out!

     I got to talk with my son both Friday night and yesterday we got video call connection. My MIL was ecstatic to see him while talking to him. Sound quality wasn't great through phone and it was loud, but very nice to sort of have him join us. My other sister in law is getting together with her parents today. Her sister's family in Colorado had their Christmas day flight cancelled, which was why they changed to Sunday to begin with from their normal Christmas Eve. I'm glad to not have another Christmas today! DS had a 15% chance of a cancelled flight had he tried to push it. We're planning to talk tonight, 6:00 our time, and he and his sister will video game play together. It's their thing now.

     I'll do some menu thinking today- easy, but after these leftovers are done, just meals without cream cheese, creams, rich cheeses and canned cream of celery soup! Spaghetti with marinara and salad sounds good. Perhaps a curry loaded with veg over basmati rice.I have to work tomorrow but then have Tuesday and Wednesday off, to finish my work week Thursday. It's the after Christmas slow and I'm going to embrace it.

12 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you had a nice Christmas. I have a couple of Ninja products and am a member of this fb group. They have a ton of recipes and information on all of Ninja's products. https://www.facebook.com/groups/488658441834797
    We will be munching on leftovers today as well which is fine with me. I think I'm all cooked out for a couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll definitely take a look. I will say I'll not be making ham or cheese potatoes until Easter.

      Delete
  2. It sounds like you had a good day all round. Enjoy your time to relax today...after the Boxing Day sales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't do much shopping damage. It was a relaxing Sunday.

      Delete
  3. Slowing down; good for you!
    I for one don't want to plan a menu for a week; we can graze impromptu on what falls from the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Falling is the right word for my refrigerator contents. Enjoy your week.

      Delete
  4. Glad to know that you had a good time with the family. Enjoy your new coffee maker!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad Christmas was good for all of you. If this turkey ever goes from rock hard to something softer, we will eat Christmas dinner, too! There are no goodies with great cheeses here. We did have the truffles from Tommy's gift that he gifted to me. But, they are gone. Have fun with the video talks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Turkeys just don't cooperate sometimes. I'm sure it will be delicious once you can cook it.

      Delete
  6. Enjoy the after Christmas Slow. TheHub is looking forward to this week for the same reason.
    FaceTime is a wonderful thing. We got to watch Pip open her gifts from us then watch her again as she opened the gifts from my sister and Son 2 and DIL2

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy for you. I hope you get to see her again soon. We talked with my son for hours.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.