Wednesday, April 27, 2022

My Wednesday Pantry- for February 85

      I'm so sorry to keep the whining about the weather, but come on already! I expect rain and the occasional day of below seasonal averages, but April really was just an extension of March. March came in like a lion, and left like a lion. We deserve a beautiful May.  OK, that is out of my system so on to a little pantry talk.

     I've been trying to cut back reliance in convenience foods. The massive amount of salt is the main reason, but of course, flavor needs to be a factor.  I shared last week how I avoided Cream of Mushroom soup for green bean casserole. Monday night, I made a from scratch garlic, spinach, and parmesan sauce for ravioli. Now, I confess, the ravioli were from Trader Joe's but someday I'll give that a whirl too. Here's my take on the sauce.

  • 2 Tablespoons butter 
  • 2 TBLS flour
  • 1 1/2 cups milk 
  • 2 heaping tsp minced garlic 
  • 1tsp each salt and pepper to taste 
  • 1/2 cup grated parmesan 
  • Large handful frozen spinach

     Make a roux with the melted butter and flour. Add seasoning and garlic, then slowly stir in milk, stirring to make sure no lumps and sauce starts to thicken. Add parmesan. Add frozen spinach and keep stirring while spinach thaws on low heat. Taste for seasoning, add more salt and pepper to taste. Makes more than enough for three servings of pasta of choice. 

     I served with roasted haloumi and over the butternut squash ravioli. Now, I'd likely pair with a more basic pasta or just meat or cheese filled ravioli. DH liked but commented it was a lot of different flavors going on with the butternut squash ravioli. Here's the finished meal.

I realize this probably does
 not look that appetizing, but
the sauce was delicious.







20 comments:

  1. That looks good Sam!
    I like scratch made because I know exactly what went in to it. The sodium is ridiculously high in pre made. Our taste buds can't handle it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Admittedly, I made a chicken dish yesterday and tried to avoid salt, but it needed it. Still, less salt than had I used a premade taco seasoning packet.

      Delete
  2. If we did not have so many glorious days, I would be complaining about the weather, too. That dish looks and sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our weather is crap too and I'm sure hoping May will be better.

    Your sauce sounds delicious and I can imagine it could be very versatile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesterday was cold still but the sun was out! I still had to have a heavy wool jacket on to walk the dog and in the shady spots, brrr, but the sun was incredible. The base is what millions of people use, but adding the seasoning, parmesan and spinach was so easy and really made it taste more complex than it was.

      Delete
  4. The sauce sounds delicious. I have cheese tortellini and spinach frozen, and this would be lovely on that. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely think on a cheese tortellini it would be phenomenal. While I used butter, I only used 2% milk, not cream, so it wasn't that calorie dense either.

      Delete
  5. I like scratch too, 1 - DH is celiac 2 - don't want the salt. When I make chicken divan I now make my own cream of chicken soup. However, I just learned that I could just use sour cream instead, tried it and it was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sour cream is an underutilized ingredient in my kitchen, and Ill try your recommendation. I love the little tanginess it adds to dishes.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. You are kind-I think it looks like a green blob, but it was pretty delicious.

      Delete
  7. That looks really good - but I don't think I could ever be bothered with making my own pasta, to be honest! I have to admit April has been pretty decent here - just a few days rain and a couple of days cold-er but I turned the heating off 2 weeks ago and off it will stay. My solution has always been to get dressed and get moving if it's that cold. I couldn't have done that when the others were living here but on my own it's easy enough, and given the price of heating fuel not a bad idea, methinks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd just like to try ravioli-with my own fillings just to give it a go. Other non-stuffed pasta? Box or fresh from store is fine.

      Delete
  8. That sauce sounds delicious - when I make a roux I just add English mustard and grated Cheddar cheese, I like the idea of adding spinach! Making pasta is such a faff, our supermarkets sell excellent fresh stuff although I probably only eat pasta a handful of times a year. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You described the sauce I make when I do homemade macaroni and cheese, though usually just a squirt of yellow mustard as I don't think I've had English mustard in the house. My daughter bought a spiralizer ad we are looking forward to making zoodles with zucchini and I think this sauce would be so good over begetables.

      Delete
  9. I am in Ohio. We are having 28 degrees for our morning today. It sucks. My asparagus is taking it's 3rd hit of "freezing" temps. At least I already have enough in the freezer and have had 3 meals fresh from it (and Hubby wondered why I froze it first instead of after we were tired of it). Amish neighbor said her's wasn't up yet so I passed a couple bags full to feed her family when I saw the freeze coming in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woke up to frost as well. I hope you get another round of asparagus-nice that you were able to share as well as freeze and save for later.

      Delete
  10. Looks delicious!
    I think the sauce would be so good on chicken too. Thanks for the recipe.
    Kathy (hmm I seem to have logged myself out of comments)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! I think over chicken would be very tasty. Also, perhaps over a turkey burger, skipping a bun. I think it would make good warm party dip as well with tortilla chips or crostini.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.