Thursday, April 28, 2022

Thrifty Thursday- Winding Down April

     


     Despite a holiday and my college kid home, April wasn't that much more than other months over all. We splurged on a pricier dinner out with the girls and a few movies, but other entertainment spending wasn't particularly costly. I think it really does help to watch little leaks, so that when we do want to spend a bit on a nice night out, we don't feel we have to penny pinch. It also helps when there are finial mishaps like the still to be resolved payroll kerfuffle. So here's what passed for thrifty this last week.

  • The cold sucks, but I had an excuse to make a massive crock pot of pasta fagiole soup. I estimated my large portions were under 75¢ a bowl, had lunch twice from it, froze two large portions for future lunches.
  • My new white tennies we're comfy and what I wanted for under $5.
  • DH got a check for a rebate for a whopping $7.78.
  • While we splurged Saturday on hard seltzers, nibbles, and tips for staff and musician, we skipped dinner out and used up stuff we needed to.
  • I loved hearing my daughter's choir, and we actually saw her better with live stream closeups online instead of in person. The choir was backup to professional "masters". It saved us two tanks of gas and 8 hours on the road.
  • Frugal not frugal, but fun with friends is always a win time wise. We played Trivia on Tuesday at a different place, different format and had fun. We placed 2nd first game and put the $10 towards our shared appetizer. It was nice getting a glass ( or two) of wine rather than beer or seltzer for a change. I had to smile that the price for two glasses of  Pinot Grigio was less than one when I last had a wine out in DC. This too was a locally owned pub and the bartender/ server and the trivia host made us feel most welcome as newbies. 
  • This was a savings for others, but had kindness and common sense value. I drove two of my daughter's colleagues home from the airport. It did add 25 minutes of time, but saved someone else or two someone else's, over an hour, plus gas costs. We have to all be in this together, right? 
  • This is a question related to thrift and resources. Does anyone know if I can plant my tulip plant and potentially get flowers next year? Or just keep in the pot and might they grow again? Look at the funny state it's now in, but I'd like to reuse if possible. 

     Short of earning more, careful spending is our best inflation fighting tool. I want to give a shout out and thanks and appreciation for the ideas and thoughtful feedback to Mondays post on post retirement opportunities to pad our funds. Whether the ideas work for my family or not, it's all good food for thought, and might have given someone else an idea.


14 comments:

  1. I've planted tulip bulbs that came in a pot. They usually will not bloom the first year but will after they are settled. Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate the comment. I think I'll try saving the bulbs.

      Delete
  2. It's really those little extra things we put in the cart/basket that add up, isn't it? I haven't been able to do a proper grocery shop in a couple of weeks, and have instead been picking things up on the way home from work...and it's costing me more, as I add things that are on sale or that I don't really need. Gah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so easy to do. I thought I was done for the whole month as of last Saturday, but two stops by my husband and another $20 spent. I'm still under budget though and it was a dog food month, which is an every other month stick up of his dry food.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like some great savings! Glad that you were able to enjoy time with family and friends.I love that you helped your daughter's colleagues too.
    I've had some success replanting bulbs. I replanted hyacinths, and they bloomed again this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It worked out just fine dropping them off. I think I'm convinced to try and keep the bulbs.

      Delete
  4. That was kind of you to give those two people a ride from the airport. I actually don't mind doing that because, as you say, it seems silly for three people to make that trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only glitch was I took DH's bigger crossover so didn't have my own keys- and daughters house key so we had to stop at my house first.

      Delete
  5. Tulips: once the green has died off, pull the bulbs, place in a paper sack and put someplace cool. In February, pot them with fresh soil, put in a sunny window and begin to water. You'll force an early bloom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like outside planting might not work? I can save and report next winter.

      Delete
  6. Easter was very, very low key this year. Kids just got a few snacks in a basket. Used a gift certificate that hubby got from work at Christmas to purchase a ham. Gas is finally under $4 here. Downloaded a new savings app, I will try it out and let you know if it’s worth doing! It looks quite promising. Found twin xl sheets sets for $13 at Macy’s to add to our college stash. Emailed to complain about some faulty packaging and they are sending a replacement coupon. Again, nothing huge but little wins. I’m hoping with school coming to an end, the dominos are going to fall into place where I will have more time and energy to get more things done. We shall see! JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always good to get that dorm stuff off season. It will be really expensive come July when the back to school stuff starts being marketed. My daughter, well she's 22, just got snacks too, not the old baskets with tits and gadgets. I'll never understand when and why Easter became another gift bonanza.

      Delete
  7. Tulips I have planted came up the next year. However, the rules say to unpot them. You can actually just put them in the ground. I read that getting them out and in again can happen sooner or later. They might not bloom at first, but they won't die. You can certainly give it a try.

    I am glad April went well for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to read more. Your information conflicts with Elle's. Outside squirrels find them and inside I might lose the bulbs before replanting.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.