This Positively Tuesday post is for family. My husband and kids, my siblings, and even DH's family, all are the good pieces of life and I need to appreciate them more. Despite so many different personalities, dynamics, and interests, these are the folks that if push came to shove, our backs are covered. That doesn't mean there isn't judgement from time to time, or envy, jealousy, anger, frustration, or sadness. But despite the rough times, there's good times that far outnumber. I know people who have "like" family, non blood relationships that are like my family is to me. Some people have chosen to cultivate "like" family as they don't have one or sadly, the one they have is unhealthy or even toxic. There's some of them family members I avoid. There's times too, we need space from each other, but it's good to know we can always come back.
That brings me to my attempt to capture my appreciation, whether that be a simple pleasure, a good laugh, or an enexpected gesture of kindness. So many of my joys in the week are due to family.
- DH and I took advantage of it being just the two of us and no ideas for dinner and went out in Thursday. I treated myself to a bacon cheeseburger, a rare treat, and enjoyed every bite!
- Despite the house being sold out from under her before she could even see it, I was happy I could go along for the drive. She knows what she wants and I'm just so proud that she's persuing this step in her life.
- My younger daughter got home safe and sound Friday night. She brought me back a wonderful bag of Costa Rican coffee and tales of spider monkeys stealing empanadas from tourists.
- I've really mastered my coffee maker and started Saturday with a homemade flat white. It really was a terrific cup of coffee. DH is not often a good gift giver. He is overwhelmed in stores and sometimes resorts to just grabbing things. Evidence of this is the birthday year he bought me VHS movies-Air force One and Apollo 13, from the discount Walmart movie bin. I make sure to tell him when I've mastered a good cup since he gave this maker to me. I'm humoring him, yes.
- I was absolutely exhausted once done, but happy to help my sister in law with her son's graduation party. I barely sat for four hours. My nephew thanked me for the help too, getting a big, but teenage boy smelly hug from him.
- I got to meet the new great nephew. It was pretty crowded, so just a peek for now.
- We had 10 of us for the park cleanup. I had hoped it would be a more multi-generational project, but the next generation is coming and going lot. Still, happy my older daughter and niece and her husband joined, so two gen. The area by the fishing dock was under water so we'll need to do another spring/ summer once the water goes down. We ended up eating lunch out, with really slow service, but it seems to be the norm these days with worker shortages.
- I treated myself to a lie down in Sunday afternoon and surprised myself by falling asleep for hours!
- It was just DH and I again last night. My daughter was with her highschool best friend, another friends, and her friends college friend to celebrate the besties 21st. All my daughter's friends are now 21! I thought it might make me sad, but I'm so proud of all of them and how hard they work at school, but still make time for each other.
- Lot's if good neighborhood walks with pup. Last night was coolish, but so sunny and fresh it felt wonderful to be outside.