Wednesday, July 13, 2022

My Wednesday Pantry-Orange Chicken

      Popping up on Facebook has been this simple four ingredient Orange Chicken. It sounded reasonable enough, but way to sweet and bready to use store bought chicken nuggets. I love Trader Joe's frozen Orange Chicken, but haven't stocked up for a while as they often sell out. Now, I'll use this recipe as a suggestion. I cooked probably 3-4 cups of cut up chicken, using three decent sized boneless skinless thighs, in a little vegetable oil, pepper, and garlic, but added a touch of sesame oil to finish off. 

     My sauce was 1/3 C marmelaide, a tablespoon soy, and probably 2 tablespoon bbq, because that's what was in the bottle. I added a touch of water, shook and got another couple TBLS of liquid. I added it all to the chicken and just kept simmering, reducing the liquid while coating the chicken. Easy peasy, and used up a lurking fridge item, the BBQ sauce. It was just right- the bit of sauce was good drizzled over the chicken, served with broccoli and rice. This will easily serve three, or two and a leftover lunch for DH. I had extra rice and broccoli. 

     I love getting pop up recipes. Even if I change up a bit, the ideas of the foundation sticks. I'd have never thought about marmelaide and my daughter had some from her kitchen. I'd give this dish a solid 8 out of 10 for taste and ease. Live and learn. 

Note to WordPress Bloggers: I thought I could comment again from my phone, but foiled again. I'm reading your posts and when I next brave my limp computer, I'll comment properly after signing in through Twitter. 

20 comments:

  1. I had someone else comment that she was having issues with commenting on Blogger again. Hopefully they will get it fixed soon. The chicken sounds delicious and what a creative way to use up the bbq sauce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured if it popped in my feed multiple times, I should give it a go.

      Delete
  2. I’ve only had it dredged in cornstarch so good to know it’s tasty without that. I made some sauerkraut soup this AM- not bad but doubt if I make it again. I was trying to use up some jarred kraut. I think I’ll thaw another whole chicken and do something with it Friday since it’ll take that long to defrost. I found a recipe for zucchini chips I’m going to try too- these are more like potato chips and no breading at all. Did you look at anything on Amazon’s supposedly big sale? Nothing i need- just a few wants I resisted. Nan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing from Amazon for me. Let me know how the zucchini chips turn out.

      Delete
  3. That sounds good! And much healthier using fresh chicken.

    Have you ever tried Apricot chicken (it's called something like that on AllRecipes.com)? Mix equal parts apricot jam and Catalina salad dressing, then add a packet of onion soup mix. Pour over chicken thighs/legs, bake. I've substituted grape jelly in a pinch, and fresh chopped onions instead of the soup mix to lower the salt content. I also bake longer than recommended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried that but it sounds good. I agree with your swap out. The soup mix would be so salty.

      Delete
  4. That looks really good Sam.
    Orange marmalade has always been my favorite. I did the dijon maple chicken again last night and I really love that.
    I can't comment on Wordpress either and I have no idea why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was dumb luck my daughter had marmelaide so have it a try. Word press makes you log into a platform but on my computer I can use Twitter but won't all ow in phone.

      Delete
  5. Sounds good! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes the unrequested items in our news feeds are worth while.

      Delete
  6. A slightly different variant has been on my menu plan for a few weeks, but keeps getting pushed off. We also like the orange chicken at Trader Joes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a convenient quick meal, and this was almost as easy.

      Delete
  7. That dish looks delicious - right up my street. Darn it, I must get back to cooking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've gotten very complacent. Too many things taking up kitchen space in my brain.

      Delete
  8. I absolutely hate orange marmalade, but I bought some for a recipe. Tommy is not eating it either. I can make this without the soy as it sounds like something I might like. And, I have chicken thawed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be a way to use your jar up. It would taste very different without soy sauce I would think though.

      Delete
  9. Oh, that looks so yummy! I have done the watered-down BBQ sauce reduction (I do this with a single chicken breast cut into large chunks and serve as a BBQ chicken burger). What a good idea to use marmalade (not that I have any), but you could totally use other fancy jams or jellies. This would work well with tofu chunks as well, I think. Thanks, Sam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure any jam would yield that sweet and sour kind of taste, just not orange. I had thought about trying with chickpeas.

      Delete
  10. I am going to try this as I love orange anything!

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.