Thursday, July 14, 2022

Thrifty Thursday-Better Than a Poke in the Eye

     


     How are you all doing this Thursday? It's been a long week for me. I got used to the short back to back work weeks even though the days were long. I do not think I'll have a hard time being occupied some day when I move towards a reduced or non paid work schedule. There just is so much to be done outside of work and so much I want to do. The darn cost of living hikes make being creative with all things necessary and often alternative ways to do things and being creative takes time. I've reached the top of growth earnings in my job, unless I'm fool hearty enough to pursue a promotion. There's only one level above mine that are classified positions (unless categories are added) and I won't wish that on myself or family. I'd possibly consider a temporary or out of class for a limited time if it looked interesting and wasn't just tacked into my regular job like has been my last two years experience.

     I was leading to something; my little cost of living increase came to fruition on July 1. It's not much more in take home, but better than a poke in the eye, as once was said to me by a boss on a 21¢ raise. Back in them days, the additional $6.00 a week take home was pretty meaningful. Percentage wise, it was the same as my July 1 increase. So I figure after all taxes and other nibbles are removed, maybe I'll see $25 more per week take home? Every bit helps, so I'll not gripe, and keep looking for ways to maximize that and our other income.

  • Creative cooking in the kitchen yielded four massive bean burgers using dried beans from my daughter's old kitchen and the last of the minute rice from the college kid. I bet these were under $2 to make. An equivalent premade version would be double or more.
  • The farmer's market provided four yellow summer squash, three zucchinis, and at least 8 mini cucumbers for $7. I like that the funds went to local growers. 
  • Used up an old blueberry muffin mix. I added a bit more salt and baking powder to help them rise- success.
  • The birds didn't get all the raspberries. A few stalks in the side yard are yielding a handful a day. They are still attrociously expensive in the store, so happy to still get a bit of produce.  

  •  DH cut down the tree, and saved $350, which was the quote last summer if he'd have tagged up with a neighbor getting his tree trimmed. Well, he might be rethinking after the amount of time it took, plus the cleanup, and more logs to cut, that he should have just hired the guys, as his hourly rate for effort is dwindling. I need to thank my neighbor properly for her help. She easily shaved 20 minutes off the job for the three of us when she saw us hauling limbs to the back yard. 
  • DD2 got her scholarship check for the 21-22 school year. It came in time for a few more pre travel costs.
  • The youngest had two successful thrift shopping trips, spending just about $60, but getting two dresses, a jump suit, two pairs of pants, long shorts, lounge pants, a sweatshirt, two shirts, and a thick fleece jacket. With what she already has, she should be well kitted for Europe.
  • I personally avoided both Amazon Prime and Target Deal Day. I need nothing! Wants will stay wants for a bit. 
  • DH had several days in and out of house on projects here, the lake, and his mom's property. I took advantage and had girls dinner for Tuesday, basically eating up bits and pieces with no rhyme or reason. But, it helps food waste and we all eat what we're feeling. 
  • I made a big crock of pasta fagiole. Long story but soft foods needed again for my older daughter. Despite the heat, this dish still is satisfying and it is so inexpensive to make.
  • Not thrifty in $$, but in time. We had no fruit in the house but a can of pineapple and a few apples that need to be baked into something. I dodged before a thunderstorm and just went to the local grocery. Found a decent price on cottage cheese loss leader so bought two. Strawberry's weren't bad either. Bananas and clementines? Heck, we needed fruit! 
     I don't have an official report on the house front, though news soon. Our daughter is saving more towards the purchase this month, and she's done with any costs associated with her apartment. I have good hopes something will be happening before summer ends. In the mean time, we're cozy here, but it's been fun too. How was your week? Any thrifty wins?


17 comments:

  1. Congrats on the raise. One option to consider, if your retirement/pension works this way, is to pursue a promotion very close to retirement. I know with some state plans, your pension is paid out based on your X last years of earning, which could make a big difference in the long run, and limit the amount of time you'd need to do that type of job. Of course, I'd balance that carefully against how much extra work & stress it would be, because at that phase of life, it may completely be not worth it.

    We've used up a few gift cards here & there, and found an inexpensive option for a flight for my parents in October. Otherwise, nothing particularly frugal around our house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an idea, and it might be for a temporary opportunity anyway. Good suggestion. I won't take my pension until I reach full retirement age, even if my last day is much earlier.

      Delete
  2. House prices are starting to go down so hopefully your daughter will find something soon without dealing with a bidding war.
    We replaced the tires on my jeep and bought a new storm door, not cheap but necessities. Just thankful we're in a position to pay cash and not rack up credit debt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are seeing signs of that a bit. In her price range, not huge shifts but likely to be fewer buyers.

      Delete
  3. I don't know about where you live, but when I see British politicians voting themselves massive pay rises every year, it makes my blood boil to see how little working people get - if anything. And just yesterday I saw TV presenters (again in the UK) getting £100,000/year pay rises!!! Aaarrgggh. I shouldn't get started!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some days I think, I picked the wrong profession. But, I like knowing my work has always been meaningful and not just for money. Yet, we need money to live on.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I disagree. Calculating the hourly value is always meaningful to me. Time is limited when you work full time. He could have not used a vacation day, and earned more working than the tree guy charged. I regularly calculate my cost per hour on time intensive tasks. We as people have value. I spoke correctly. My burgers maybe cost $2. If I had bought them, Aldi has a black bean chipotle that are $4 for four. Other brands are more. So, as I stated, "An equivalent premade version would be double or more" is 100% accurate. Are you doing ok? You seem a bit ready to quibble and argue lately in comments.

      Delete
    2. I was stating my opinion. No where did I say you were wrong. And, with whom have I been quibbling? I am fine. I spent an hour talking with a friend with whom I laughed and she laughed the whole time. I give up! Wow! I was in a great mood.

      Delete
    3. Glad to hear you're well. I may have misread your intent as quibbling, when you described my hourly rate calculation as meaningless and my price comparison on the burgers being misstated. I too have typed things that read differently than perhaps intended.

      Delete
  5. I think the time/money calculation is valid. You can always create more money but once time is gone it is gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He literally spent 4 hours getting down, then four of us hauled to the back, and he's got several hours of more sawing to get the limbs broken down. I don't think he was expecting an 8 +hour project.

      Delete
  6. More houses are coming on the market here at much better prices. They are also staying on the market longer which means if people need to sell they will have to go lower. I hope this starts to happen in your area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's seeing options, though not liking much. Shell know when it's the right fit.

      Delete
    2. I 100% don’t want to sound like a Debbie downer (doesn’t that age me? Ha!) but I was reading in the Minneapolis paper today about a ? push to increase interest rates by 1%! I’m so not a numbers person but my son the farmer is and is always working in big numbers!!! Machinery, grain bins (he just added two) with prices terrible but given the previous unheard of low interest rate his farm consultants said it was really the time. he was discussing the overall savings etc. and what the overall cost savings or expense of a loan becomes. Just something to keep in mind with the house hunting, overall cost of the house plus changes in monthly cost. I think there are charts you can look at on this, moving interest rates back and forth to decipher the overall cost.

      Delete
  7. Every time I read your posts I make a note about things I should try making.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.