Saturday, August 27, 2022

End of August Week in W's

     

      It's the last Saturday in August and so that means my summer is drawing to a close, calendar wise. After Labor Day, it's " fall" weekends and all the stuff that comes with the seasonal changes, even if we're still in for a month of warm weather. Here's where my life is at, summed up in W's. 

What’s top of my mind: 

      My kids, all of them. I logged off work and took care of a few errands yesterday so today will be 100% focused on cleaning, organizing, and some semblance of being ready to have another body in the house. I asked for a list of food favorites, but he didn't care, but requested some beers they don't get in California. I'm happy to oblige. I texted a bit with my older daughter yesterday; she's got a lot of produce each night with her harvest, while adapting to a change in routine. And of course, there's the fast approaching date when the college kids leaves. 

Where I've been:
 
     I picked up my Kohl's order myself as I thought to combine with an Aldi stop. DH and I  had a nice Sunday last weekend driving to my daughters then further away. I played trivia with friends and we were the big winners. 

Where I’m going:

    No where today other than to walk pup. I'm going to get loads done, I swear! We may go to the lake tomorrow, but dependent on what I get done. DH has a couple projects too. His ankle is better, but still not strong. It stormed last night, a lot. That means I didn't sleep well as pup was so stressed, but still need to buckle down today.

 What I'm eating:
 
     We went for BBQ Sunday, but since then it's been just easy stuff at home like homemade Mac and cheese, chili, hot ham and cheese, and leftovers. I got too heavy with cummin in the chili, but it wasn't horrible, but not preferred seasoning ratio.

What I’m watching:

     A few YouTube videos while working in the kitchen, but trying to break out of too much TV habit. 

What I’m reading:

     Verity for book club, which is Monday night. However, depending on day to day plans, I already said I might not make it.  I don't want to be rushed if DD2 and I are away from home. 

What I’m listening to:

      I had BBC World service on a couple days, including yesterday while working. 

What I’m planning: 

    I have paused planning anything more until my kids are here and then gone. I just want to enjoy the moments of being off work this week, and early next week with the kids. 

Who needs a good slap:

      I'm pretty docile this week. But, midday yesterday I got an email that 32 items needed responding to from the audit project the end of June/ early July. Finance got the memo on Wednesday but didn't pass on for two more days. Get this, with a due date of 9/7! By calendar yes, that's two weeks, but with a holiday weekend, so only 9 business days. We've requested an extension. I am trying to not stress, as I think all on my program are really clarification type documents, or answers. But, remember we are without an organized office and all are paper files are in boxes shrink wrapped on palates.

Who Deserves Knuck's (Fist Bump):  

   My team was awesome helping me organize and plan to be off work next week. I feel like everything I could plan is taken care of. Oh, crap will hit fans when I get back ( audit already did) and the school year starts, but that isn't next week. 

What’s making me smile:

     Time off work! Time off work! Time off work! Just knowing I have so many days to call my own is smile worthy even if not also excited about my kids.

      That's my past week and what I'm thinking of. Please feel free to share your W's. 

20 comments:

  1. Enjoy the time together. That is all that matters right now!
    You can plow through the audit demands after your chicks have all gone their separate ways, but your only responsibility right now is to buy beer and enjoy every minute you have with the family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figure but that is right. I mean, the auditor's didn't consult in time or who needs to review what. It's completely daft to include a return over a holiday weekend when likely people are combining vacation. But the did the same with the original request- both overlapping July 4, and our fiscal year end/ launch new year.

      Delete
  2. Woohoo! Yay for getting time off, and time with your family. Definitely enjoy the time together, & don't think about work. It will be there for you when you get back. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great wrap up! I would have slapped Finance for hanging on to the file for that long. Rude! And, yes to the fist bump to your team.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two days, but then pass off after 12:00 on Friday, giving me 6 Business days even if I was in the office.

      Delete
  4. Enjoy your family and your time off!!@ I probably should hould not tell you that Verity and the Silent Patient were my worst two books last year but I know you will make up your own mind. It seems to be a love it or hate it thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard Collen Hoovers writing is of polar opposite ends of people liking it. We shall see.

      Delete
  5. YAY to time off from work. Enjoy yourself and your family. Work will be there when you return.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No doubt about that. I'm going to try to block it out.

      Delete
  6. So fun to have all your kids home! Enjoy! Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would not give one thought to the work you have to do until your kids are gone and your vacation is over.
    Maybe next year you and your daughter can garden together, and you get some of the produce to cook for her or to freeze or can for her, sort of a coop of sorts. You might even learn together or you can learn from her. You could trade something for produce...maybe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her plan will be to learn a lot over the fall, to prepare the beds, then winter to learn timelines. I'll help as she wants.

      Delete
  8. We had a nice but expensive visit with DD and ended up doing nothing else we had planned. No big deal. I’m looking forward to dinner with my mom squad on Monday, seems like lunch is just too hard for us to squeeze in with everyone just so busy. To answer your reply to my other comment, I’m not 100% sure what’s going on. I was given a fair offer, much better than I was expecting tbh. I was told I would not need to interview, it was mine if I wanted, just needed to apply for it, which I did that same day. And haven’t heard anything since. Sigh. I’ll talk to my DM on Monday during conference call but I was expecting to hear something before then. Enjoy your time off work. I will be drowning for the next two weeks lol but took some PTO the week of the 11th and I’m really, really looking forward to that. I’ve been through a lot of change recently and still trying to wrap my brain around everything, only to have an ongoing health issue flare back up again. Frustrating to say the least. JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with everything. You've got so much to juggle right now. The poor communication is frustrating. I'm glad you enjoyed your daughter time. Yes, visits are not cheap.

      Delete
  9. Enjoy your time with family! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Practical Parsimony's suggestion of gardening with your daughter and of not thinking about work until your hols are over.
    My W's this week have been washing, working out, weeding, writing lists and binge watching Wild Wild Country! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did some Weeding too. There's plenty more. I'm trying not to think of anything about work.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.