Wednesday, August 3, 2022

My Wednesday Pantry-- Vegan Repeat and New Recipe

   


      Nan asked me to repeat how I make the chickpea masala/ veggie curry. I can't take credit as it came from combing a couple recipes and adapted. This can be made vegetarian with yogurt, or vegan with coconut milk. While both I and my youngest prefer with yogurt, it's still pretty tasty either way. I just can still taste a hint of the coconut, so that's why yogurt is preferred.  

  • 1 onion
  • 1 cup carrot
  • 1 large diced or two small potatoes
  • 1 large or two small sliced and halved zucchini 
  • 1 can drained or 1 1/c cup cooked from dry chickpeas
  • 1 1/2 cup vegetable broth
  • 15 ounce can diced tomato
  • 10-12 ounce plain yogurt or can coconut milk 

     Black pepper, curry powder, cumin to taste. Start with 2 tsp each and add depending on your preference. I end up with at least 4-5 TBSP of curry powder. I suppose if I had more authentic spices, I'd use less. 

     Soft cook all veggies, starting with onions and carrots, then adding broth, potatoes, and zucchini. Add chickpeas. Add spices.  Bring to simmer for a bit until all veg is cooked. Add tomatoes, and yogurt/ coconut milk. Bring up to boil then turn down to simmer at least 35-45 minutes. Check spice level during this time. Serve with basmati rice and naan bread.

     Turn away, Kim.  I finally made red lentil Sloppy Joe's. I'll give 8/10. Definitely an option if you're looking to cut down on meat, but still want those comfort foods. I used this recipe. Red Lentil Sloppy Joes.

      Of course I changed up something because it wouldn't be me cooking if I actually followed a recipe completely. I didn't have Worcestershire sauce, so used a bit of soy sauce and ketchup combined. I would have used BBQ sauce but what I had open had honey in it.  I used more onion and less green pepper because I only had 1/2 a pepper left. I used the other have of a can of diced tomatoes from the curry instead of tomato sauce, and used twice the seasoning called for. I know some folks get annoyed to see recipes, but comments where people then load the substitutions. I say, use what you have. Thrifty cooking is all about being adaptable. 

     We had these with the first of the local sweet corn on buns. When I told DH we were having lentil Sloppy Joe's, he asked " What does that mean?" No clue what a lentil was. He was suspicious, said he tried a forkful, and gave them a firm pass. He had chicken strips instead. The three of us girls enjoyed them. I froze half for another night. You truly can feed six with hearty portions. I'll be curious if anyone tries them and your opinion.  I won't be converting DH easily. We decided you could switch out seasonings and make this either a delicious taco filling or Bolognese. Yeah, DH would pass on those too I suspect. 

24 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting the recipes. I’ll be honest and tell ya I had no clue what curry really was but I think I have everything on had but the curry spice so I’m going to have to try it soon. I wonder how your DH would have liked the lentils if he didn’t know they were lentils, just let him think it was a new recipe lol. I’m all for substitutions. Especially when my kids were little and I wasn’t dragging them out to the store if I needed just one thing. It’s so sweet that you embrace your daughter’s food choices. I’m sure it makes her happy to have you and her sister in her corner. (No disrespect meant to your hubby. At least he tried it! We all have our personal preferences) JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned from Vix that the term curry is actually very British, generalized word for multiple Indian inspired dishes. I guess I made a masala, yogurt/ tomato sauce. My daughter makes a red lentil dahl. At the Indian grocer they have a hot food counter too with a dozen or more dishes, and not one called curry. I have thick skin in the sloppy joes. I didn't think he'd like them.

      Delete
  2. Thanks. I’m not fond of yogurt so will use the coconut milk and also, a couple of red peppers. I have all the ingredients here so will make Friday. I’m getting fresh shrimp in my farm share delivery tomorrow so want to use them then. They also had a new fish to me that I passed on- tile fish. Local fishermen sell to their service; also a chicken farm, bakery and store that makes fresh kraut, muffaletas, and kimchi. The kraut is delicious. Of course, those are add ones to my $22 weekly fee. I find it reasonable and I’m helping local farmers. Nan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you enjoyed. I'm quite pleased I have a large batch froze now for a future meal. I can't have she'll fish myself, but daughter and DH would be thrilled to have shrimp added. I love muffalettas - the spicy sandwich is so good.

      Delete
  3. I will pass on that, too. But, not for the same reasons, I suspect, that he did. Why was the honey nixed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My older daughter eats no animal products. I understand lentils are not everyone's bag.

      Delete
  4. I am a hard pass on lentils as a meat substitute, but it is a texture thing not a taste. I am fine with TVP replacing it or using one of the new impossible or beyond substitutes, again it is a texture issue.
    I actually love lentil soups or Mediterranean lentils.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand that- I noticed if even just slightly undercooked, I'm not a fan either. A friend makes a heart lentil stew, but that might too have the texture issues. I like that I tried and seemed to be successful.

      Delete
  5. Love, love this recipe. healthy and delicious.

    Best,
    Velva

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll cut back on the brown sugar next time, particularly if I need to do the ketchup/ soy substitution. That's my biggest critique- too sweet. As the diced tomatoes worked well, I'd maybe even add more for more tomato taste.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for your veggie curry recipe! It sounds tasty, and I think my family would really like it.
    Your sloppy joes look good, but I'm with your husband, I really don't like lentils. I have tried them different ways including the taco lentils, but they aren't for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No harm liking or disliking what you want. Now my daughter's have another meatless meal for their own kitchens. I guess I'll need to be a guest without the hubs. If you make the curry, let me know the results. DH won't eat that either. He doesn't like the smell.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the curry recipe, I am defiantly going to try that as I love curry, but the sloppy joes I will pass.....Juts sayin.....:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We shall say no more. The curry with basmati rice is divine. We, -DH, love it. It's so cheap to make too.

      Delete
  8. People are funny when it comes to beans, legumes and lentils - I suspect it comes from our parent making some hideous three-bean salad when we were kids (that's what put me off them!) or serving plain lima beans (same).

    I bet if you made your sloppy joe mix into spaghetti sauce and mashed the lentils, your hubby wouldn't even notice. I've been serving my husband vegan sausages for years, and he has never noticed, lol. I mash white beans into things all the time and never tell him (I also use up refried beans in spaghetti sauce, for a yummy thickener).

    I always vary up my recipes - especially my chili recipe - to use up whatever I have on hand. That masala recipe sounds fabulous! We have a massive Indian population on the west coast of Canada, along with Thai, so we're very adventurous with those foods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't try and fool him. I agree with you though. He's very much a man from his childhood. Though, my daughter has made meals for her grandma, his mom, and she's given rave reviews. She's more adventurous than her son. Definitely can change the masala to what veg you have. My youngest loves zucchini in it, so that's why I tend to go there, but the original recipe I saw had broccoli.

      Delete
  9. I love curries and lentils. I grew up eating them, and my mother was a very good cook. She disliked sloppy joes, and so never made that. I find them way too sweet, with the added sugar and ketchup (i dislike sweet and savory foods). Your curry recipe, as modified by you, sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would cut back on the brown sugar. My hamburger sloppy joes are not nearly as sweet, much more savory.

      Delete
  10. The pic of the corn on the cob looks great! My middle son will eat corn so I serve it several times on weekends when I see him. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll likely do one more round of corn before summer ends. It's one of those signs of coming fall when the corn trucks are gone.

      Delete
  11. I love lentils! I have to take issue with that vegan lady's recipe - Worcestershire sauce contains anchovies, not suitable for vegans or vegetarians. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had that same thought. My daughter said there is vegan Worcestershire sauce, so maybe implied, but you're right, not explicit that regular would not be vegan/ vegatarian. Same with a true Caesar salad dressing.

      Delete
  12. Good for you! I try to eat more vegetarian/vegan these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying for my own and hubs heath, but also variety.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.