Thursday, August 4, 2022

Thrifty Thursday-Piggy Back Post

     


     I did type piggy back, not piggy bank in the title. That's because I want to pick up on Frugal Gal's post earlier in the week. Her post titled Is it frugal to get cheap treats? resonated with me. Trying to be thrifty with our dollars isn't about hoarding masses, but being able to afford life and the nice things that make us and others happy. So while so much of what I and many of us do when we save money on something isn't contributing to our bottom line, it may give buying power for a happy indulgence. 

     I like to think any side hustle is going to the simple pleasures in life. I earmark these perks, give them a destination, like the hammock with my June Adsense payment, for example. I like to use a coupon for the occasional BOGO on a Culver's Concrete mixer frozen custard even though it would be just as frugal to just buy a pint of ice cream, or more so to do without. But then I don't get the salty, crunchy sweet mix of Snickers and Reese's crushed and swirled in the creamy goodness. So in the spirit of frugality and thriftiness to enhance life, here's a few little wins for the week.

  • Our friends had extra club house seating tickets so we didn't have to pay more than general admission. DH set a limit to what he'd bet at the horse track, and we actually came home $13.25 above. Of course we had food and drinks, but portions were good and prices were not over the top. It's a bit of a drive so I'd say it's a one time a year outing, but sure was fun.
  • Used red lentils my daughter had, plus pantry and produce we already had for the Sloppy Joe recipe. I froze half for a future meal. OK, I get it. This recipe might not be for everyone, but what's life without a little experimenting?
  • Served corn twice, then will cut the remainder off the Cobb and freeze for fall for corn chowder. Oh, that will be lush on a cool Sunday afternoon with home baked bread. 
  • As DH was less keen on Monday's meatless meal, I used burgers found in the freezer and 49¢ a pound baking potatoes to make beefy burgers and steak fries on Tuesday. Why thrifty? This staved him off wanting to take himself out for a big burger meal, and my estimate this homemade meal was just over $2 a person, compared to even a fast food BK Whopper and fries on coupon for more than double. As my older daughter had a veggie wrap, there was even a burger left for him to eat for lunch yesterday, so twice averted his bad take out habit.
  • I did  a survey for a $3 credit on Amazon. Likely this will go towards a book club book if not found in the library.
  • Free to us entertainment was the music by the river (tip jar though) and assorted streaming shows. 
  • Bananas at  29¢ a pound and frozen fruit has been our stand in as we're between fresh local stuff right now. 
  • I got back logged on ms rewards, but caught up and also earned a few Ibotta pennies, and loaded receipts to Fetch.
  • With the heat back, I'm avoiding the oven but used air fryer, microwave, stove, and crockpot. 
  • Kwik trip still had $2.99 70-30 hamburger and taco meat so I bought both. I also got a few other basics there, saving a trip to the grocery store across town or the expensive one close by.  
  • I shopped last night since trivia was a no go. I definitely did not squeak by, but should be able to get to next weekend with just minimal additions. I'm bound and determined to rein in the eating out this month. 
  • I found the five subject notebook for DD2, and grabbed pens, mechanical pencils, and post it notes. That's all she should need for school this semester. No sale, but I avoided the stress of trying to find things closer to her leaving. 
  • I received an anniversary bonus Kohl's cash of $5 plus 30% coupon. I have ideas of high wants, bordering on needs to apply both to, bath towels and jeans for DD2. DD1 has a few things she wants replaced too. It starts 8/5 to 8/11, so we'll plan accordingly to maximize. 
     Like most weeks, no big ticket wins, but little economies that give us cushion to splurge on the occasional treat. Do you rewards yourself with coupons or windfalls? Do you splurge on bogo items just because one is free, when normally you'd pass? Importantly, do you like your frozen custard with Snickers and Reese's or are you just wrong?

20 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing that article. She has a very similar outlook on money that I have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a very good blogger. She shares such practical ideas and resource's.

      Delete
  2. Any small economy these days is a win in my book. Tommy knows I pay attention to bogo. He just did not understand how I work it. If it is strawberries bogo, I will only get one even though I love them. That way I can get another just before the bogo deal ends, having strawberries for more days with no need to use them up. However, if it bogo Cheerios for him, I buy two or four since they can sit and wait to be opened.

    I have never seen frozen custard with any candy in them, so I suppose I am not wrong...lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're fortunate that stores honor the bogo price if you don't technically buy two. Our stores ring up full price, but apply savings once met at end. So if bogo items is $4, I'd be charged $4, not $2. But if I bought two, both would ring at $4, but then I'd see credit of -$4.00 to reflect the free. Usually you must buy 2 to get bogo.

      Delete
    2. Sam,
      This confused me because I knew one could be bought and get the bogo price. However, if the designated it "two for the price of one" you had to buy two. It makes no sense, but that is the way it is.

      Also, the register tape reflects the savings under each item as it is rung, so that is easier to see what is going on.

      Delete
    3. Yes, the printed tape shows the savings by the product, but while in process, the full price rings. As registers are computers, until the deal is complete ( same as coupons) the savings doesn't apply. I think it's great the store honors a single bogo items half price. That's fair to customer.

      Delete
  3. The small savings are what really make the difference, I feel, because they are more easily sustained! And I don't know about you, but they feel like such a "win" too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely easier to make small changes than big ones.

      Delete
  4. I figure everyone has to decide what it is important to spend money on and what is not. Right now we are spending on things that will make car trips more comfortable and easier once TheHub retires.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly why DH upgraded our vehicle a few weeks ago. It will be much better for long drives and different seasons.

      Delete
  5. I love all things ice cream… lol Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a big ice cream gal, but the concrete mixer and a DQ Buster bar are delicious.

      Delete
  6. I’ve been slipping with my receipts recently but scanned a bunch the other night, only to find more when I thought I was done. Sigh. I love to use bogo coupons and the like for treats and meals out. It’s definitely more frugal to not go out, but that’s boring ;) We went to a baseball game last week and bought cheap seats. An awesome usher gave us a nice upgrade. We ate at home, took bottled water and found free parking. It was a hike away from the stadium but a beautiful night, so no bother. Met some nice Philadelphia fans along the way and chatted with them for a few minutes. DD bought all her college text books used, really comparing prices. Maybe next semester she’ll rent books or wait and see if they are truly necessary but she wanted to start off having them. I thought that was wise of her. She didn’t wait and only had me help her find a particularly elusive one. It happened to be on Amazon and I had a $10 gift card I let her use. Gas is down to $3.60 in some spots, higher in others. Small wins, but important ones. Oh and I hear the Reese’s Fast Break Blizzard at DQ is amazing. I love ice cream but it doesn’t always love me back lol. JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your daughter did well. Mine goes different routes on books to maximize but no matter how, college text books are a fortune. Your ball game night sounds fun.

      Delete
  7. The economy is really starting to take a tumble here with yet another interest rate rise announced by the Bank of England yesterday. Everyone is gravitating towards shopping at Aldi but even their prices are rising. I fear for this coming winter. Meanwhile, the energy companies are boasting billions in profits. Doesn't make sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our rate hikes were announced last week to go up another bit. It's getting harder and harder to find ways to stretch dollars, but the rich sure don't seem to feel it.

      Delete
  8. I've never had frozen custard, so I'm definitely missing out! I can't each dairy style ice cream, but adore the Ben & Jerry's non-dairy version (I believe it's made with almond milk). I love both Reese's & Snickers in ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ben and Jerry's has a new one made with sun flower butter called Whirl the world, I think. I tried it and it was tasty. I don't eat ice cream stuff often but now and then it hits the spot.

      Delete
  9. I always admire your frugality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I take baby steps compared to others with mad skills.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.