Tuesday, August 2, 2022

Positively Tuesday-August Now and Then

      We're in the 8th month if 2022! Time sure flies. August has always been a busy month for me, my whole life. It's the month of my parents anniversary. Today would have been their 75th anniversary. I remember their 40th anniversary party as it was held at my brother's, a big barbecue a few weekends after the actual date. It was just a few months before our wedding. We had just bought our first house, just four blocks down on the same street, so people were taking walks to sneak peaks, coming back wide eyed in disbelief we bought a tiny PINK house that screamed a need for attention. To be honest, I too was in disbelief. Through spit and polish and many layers of paint, we turned it into a cute cottage and lived there three years. 

     Other August memories are the county fair and 4H week, then leading into the state fair. Of course school shopping and trying to eek out the last of summer. Do you all remember buying fall sweaters though in August! Silly now to think back.  August is still busy. It's DH's birthday month, and his mom's. We tend to take vacation this month and for many years, it's the month we moved kids to college dorms or apartments. We've got some big things to get prepped for in the coming weeks and month, so this year is busy too. I guess I'm all set for appreciating joys and simple pleasures. Here we go.

  1. My daughter got details on her host family for Spain and she and her friend, one of her roomates, are staying together. Based on the introduction, it seems they might be regular hosts for students, which makes this mom feel relieved about her accomodations. She wrote them a nice email to introduce herself. 
  2. DH and I enjoyed the jazz music at the river Thursday night. It was chilly and a sweatshirt was needed as the sun went lower. I'm not looking to speed up summer, but the coolness was refreshing.  
  3. DD2 and I went to Newsies. It was good, particularly the full ensemble music numbers. Some of the small scenes were definitely amateur but clearly they all were enjoying themselves.
  4. I did myself proud with another made up, but from basics, rustic batch of blueberry muffins. I'll try and remember how I made them but here's a picture at least. There were only three left to end Monday. 

  5. We had a good time at the race track on Sunday, even won a bit of money. But, the highlight had to have been the corgi races. Adorable! My daughter's friend took a bit of video but I don't have that. 

  6. Sweet Corn! The first of summer. I paid $8 for 14 ears. Not cheap but fair. Large tomatoes were $1- and delicious too!
  7. I wasn't sure when to reveal the finished chair, today as a positively Tuesday, or a Thrifty Thursday. I'm opting for today because I'm excited to share. You can see in the before it was a little scruffier than on first glance, but look at it now. My daughter did a good job for not having done anything before like this.
  8.  I'm giving her this stool to paint and use as a table beside the rocker. She thinks perhaps yellow. It's an old stool from my childhood, but I wouldn't have anyone sit on it. I painted it ages ago and stuck in the lower bathroom, but I think it will have better life with her. It's a joy to see pieces of your history be part of your child's future.
  9. A preliminary draft of a report( for work) is coming back with a favorable analysis. It won't make the work less challenging, but it'll back up the "why" of program changes we want to implement. I've got a year of headaches ahead, but this is like a bit of Extra Strength Tylenol to fall back on. 
  10. Before the heat comes back today, I'm enjoying this morning with a cup of coffee on the porch. (Even sitting on my daughter's chair. Shhh, don't tell.) Summer bliss.
     Joys are just being with people now while remembering the good times of the past. I've always liked August, because of how important it's been in our family. How has the month started for you? Any fond memories or things you're looking forward too?

24 comments:

  1. Today would have been my parents' 70th anniversary! And my aunt and uncle's, too, as they were married in a double wedding.

    I paid $9/dozen for corn here in Connecticut. It was delicious.

    My sister and her daughter (and her three kids) are coming over to swim today. It's going to be 86* and sunny (the pool is also 86*). I had ribs in the oven for five hours yesterday, and my husband will finish them off on the grill for lunch. Off to make Mac and cheese and some cookies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Small world date! August 2 was a happy date wasn't it then. I can't imagine a double wedding but post war, I guess things were different. I hope your swim was terrific. Ribs and Mac and cheese- delicious.

      Delete
  2. I was sitting here thinking what nice posts you write. I don’t have feelings toward August either way- I married in August and my little brother (21 years younger than me) died in August from a motorcycle accident- he was 19. GS will be 4 the 20th. The chair is lovely and my, how cool you have furniture from your childhood. My dolls were destroyed by my sisters 10 and 20 years younger but I do have a nurse Nancy golden book. Wish I had some of your corn- growing up in Iowa it was always something we looked forward to every August and we went to the county fair too- mainly for the carnival rides and food. Nan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bittersweet months are hard when there's both memories of joy and sadness. My dad died in August 10 years ago, not at all the same as losing a young person. The stool had lots of uses in my parents house. Highchair, ladder, even an impromptu baby gate turned on it's side even.

      Delete
  3. Love the chair! It looks so cute and I just know sitting in it makes your coffee taste even better :) JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's going to be a "watching the world go by" chair. Coffee outside is always better.

      Delete
  4. August is/was my mom and my Aunt(father's sister)birthdays, same year a week apart. Mom is long gone so that's bittersweet but I'll ring up my Aunt on her 88th Birthday. Our wedding anniversary is toward th end of August and it's the 40 year mark. Hopefully we can get this house sold in August which will make my month a happy one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Anniversary! We have 35 in October. We have even more bdays with extended family- three nephews on August 31.

      Delete
  5. You're right about August sneaking up; time flies for sure! Those muffins look fabulous and I love the chair. Cannot wait to see the refinished stool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she's just going to spray paint the stool. I had good lucky with kitchen chairs that way. That'll be this weekend.

      Delete
    2. I spray paint a lot of small things and it works out great. Last weekend I redid a dresser but used chalk paint (actually it was called a mineral paint) and spray painted the hardware a gold. It turned out great but I hated the process. A lot of cleaning and sanding ugh. My ADD doesn’t handle this well.ha! A quick spray paint I can handle. I laugh as we also used chairs and stools for occasional baby gates. Jre

      Delete
    3. I lose patience after first coat. Your project sounds very cute. Likely she'll do more over time.

      Delete
  6. Your daughters chair looks lovely. What a great find/buy!
    August snuck up on me, which means I will blink and it will be Halloween, then 2 blinks later Thanksgiving will begin the holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love fall, but I want some enjoyable summer days still. July flew. I'll miss my daughter for all the holidays m, but she'll have a great time.

      Delete
  7. Ha ha, corgi races. How cute! I bet Queen Elizabeth could win a few of those - she's had a lifelong love of corgis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I truly was surprised at how fast some ran. I thought of the Queen waiting at the finish line with treats.

      Delete
  8. August of my childhood was just hot and endless. I enjoyed August. My father and brother have birthdays the same day in August.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You had birthday celebrations too this month.

      Delete
  9. Today would have been my parent's anniversary too.
    Love the chair! Your daughter did a great job, and the stool will be so cute too. Your muffins look delicious.
    Oh I would have loved to have seen the Corgi races, those short legged pups are so cute.
    Wishing you an awesome August.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems a popular wedding date in history! We had a successful home body week. We laughed at the corgi races. Some were fast and wanted to run but a few just sort of trotted.

      Delete
  10. Beautiful chair and stool! My former brother in law and wife had a pink house in Jackson, Mississippi and it was so adorable. I loved the hardwood floors and even the color suited that house. I miss that house! They sold it when they moved to Louisiana. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It didn't stay pink- that was not a pretty pink at all. White might have been dull, but it suited the house better.

      Delete
  11. Yikes! It's August and I haven't had any corn yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ours is just pretty new so have a few more weeks. Have your Michigan folks buy and blanch some fri the freezer for your visit.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.