Saturday, August 20, 2022

The Week in W's

     I'm not going to rush the seasons, but I like the slight coolness in the evenings. We've not talked much about our weekend plans. DH is hobbling from a sprained ankle. Of course he won't miss work for it, but he clearly needs to stay off it. Other things in the week I'll capture through the W's. I'm trying to draw from things other than what's already been shared. 

What’s top of my mind: 

      Too much that I'm struggling to prioritize or focus my thoughts, then my actions. Though other than work, the big things are on thoughts of others. 

Where I've been:
 
     Besides back and forth to my daughter's, I've really only been to Kwik Trip for a few basic items since Sunday, lake, Monday, her closing. Did I pick up Chipotle or did my daughter? I don't even recall that. Today I once again have a list as big as my arm, and sadly Treaders, no stretching will help. 

Where I’m going:

    I'm meeting DD2 with pup some time today to get a good play in with our friends dog. If not too hot, maybe a walk with them at the river. 

 What I'm eating:
 
     Pizza! The take out place put cheese on DD1s Tuesday night but made another resulting in an extra pizza. We've ate that over a couple days at home. She had her leftovers too. I nabbed a couple tomatoes that seemed ripe. They have some flaws from growing do close, but I cut in slices for grilled tomatoes and cheese last night. So delicious. 

What I’m watching:

     I've watched another two part Sommerfald Murders and a few YouTube videos on rain barrel watering. On Sunday, DH caught the end of the Vikings preseason game. I guess football will soon rule my family room TV. Last night I just wanted mindless entertainment and watched The Lost City. It was merely mildly entertaining.

What I’m reading:

     Darn if I can't just carve out time for book club reading, Verity. With our friend and book club organizer losing her father earlier, we may end up cancelling this month too. Infact now that I look at our page, there's nothing scheduled. There's so much on everyone's plate.

What I’m listening to:

      Nothing, I guess. In the car driving to my daughter's there was coverage of the new findings that 150 minutes of exercise a week is likely not nearly enough, and we should get double. Like I wasn't feeling guilty enough!

What I’m planning: 

    Here's the thing, going full circle to my starting paragraph. I feel like I'm not planning anything because I don't know where to focus. I've several work projects and day trip meetings to other parts of the state, but I've given up planning much of anything until after DD2 leaves, and I know both girls are settled. DH's ankle throws a new wrench in planning anything too. I'd like to plan at least a happy hour before the college kid leaves, and a house warming when she's ready for my daughter. If my son comes in two weeks, any plans will circle his stay. 

Who needs a good slap:

      Customers that treat fast food drive through and employees like they are out for fine dining. My daughter described how they work ahead on specialty coffees or orders that have more complexity, while the most recent order food is being pulled up. Things like soda's are just filled via a programmable button so literally takes a second. Apparently she didn't have enough ice in the diet coke of current lady in pick-up window, who comes every morning, and she yelled at my daughter, " Next time I expect to be waited on fully before the next person in line. Unacceptable that I've waited 10 minutes." DD2 just gave her more ice in another cup and sent her on her way. The receipts are time stamped. From the time she paid for her order and had it in hand was not even three. I asked if she was back the next day if it was "unacceptable". Of course she was.

Who Deserves Knuck's (Fist Bump):  

   Me! For jumping on an opportunity to attend a two day leadership conference, all expenses covered, in mid October. It's a Monday-midday Tuesday. I'll go up Sunday afternoon and have a relaxing night. I can get caught up on emails Monday evening, and can phone into an afternoon meeting on route back so it shouldn't create a huge backlog. Budgets are tight and I prefer to use my limited professional development budget on my team, particular those that are early in their careers.

What’s making me smile:

      DH's younger cousin who was our flower girl is expecting any day now, her second baby. They had a funny photoshopped picture swapping her husband's head on her very pregnant body. Silly but funny. I'm also happy for them that they're already a week past when their first was born, who gave them a scare with her early and tiny birth. 

     There you have my week. Play along or link your own post if your do this recap yourself. 

27 comments:

  1. That drive through lady is impatient. Three minutes is nothing to have to wait. Some people act so entitled.

    Double the amount of exercise? Dang! I haven’t been keeping up with the first amount. LOL 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter has an interesting and fitting name for that regular

      Delete
  2. Nice work investing in yourself! It can be hard to make the time, so it's awesome that you are doing it.

    Making me smile: my family uses Marco Polo (asynchronous video chat app) to keep in touch, and we've used it all throughout COVID. It's been an absolute gift. My sister, BFF & I also use it, which has also been awesome. Last night, my parents had my nephew, and my special needs aunt over, and they all chatted on the Polo. With living so far away, it's so nice to almost feel like you are there, sitting around the table, playing cards & enjoying the summer weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Marco Polo. It keeps me connected to my sister and has been a lifeline.

      Delete
    2. I've not heard of that app but sounds like it would be good for my family.

      Delete
  3. I love when customers say they won’t be back and then show up the next day. People are ridiculous. I FaceTimed with DD this morning. She said while her and her roommate get along really well, they haven’t found any other girls to hang out with. There’s a real Mean Girl on their floor but I told her not to let it bother her. I know she’ll make friends and find her people. We spontaneously ended up at the Pirate game last night with $20 tickets that were amazing seats. I have a long day of work today but am off tomorrow. A free Sunday with no plans. I’m looking forward to just being at home. Or out if I want. My choice! Though I will be lonely watching my Sunday night trash tv alone. I’m looking forward also to Friday, when I will go visit DD on campus! We’ve started a list of things to pick up or bring from home. She forgot conditioner, needs more hangers, a night light for the kitchen, some sort of storage for the bathroom. I’m sure it will be a mile long by the time I see her and I can’t wait!!! JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They'll both find people via classes too, and can combine efforts to meet people.

      Delete
  4. Way to go on the leadership conference! It's so important to invest in yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just finished "A Tidy Ending" by Joanna Cannon. I loved it! Give it a read. I also finished "A Week of Warm Weather" by Lee Bukowski. The plot was okay, but the writing style struck me as trite. Also, there were a few editing errors, especially in reference to the setting. The one that really bothered me was in a phrase referring to the time as "Fall" when the chapter was clearly set in spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In September I'll read for fun again, I hope. I'll make note of theses

      Delete
  6. Never heard of Marco Polo except in the swimming pool! My daughter found a 4th floor apartment in Brooklyn so she’s a happy camper. My ole’ knee will have trouble with all the steps but they plan to buy next year. My little sis called me at 7 this AM- everyone knows I’m up before 5 AM- and informed me 26 year old nephew who still lives at home has Covid. Apparently he woke her up at 5 with a 102 fever and she helped him test. I recommended Paxlovid so she called and is picking it up soon. He just started a new job Wednesday and thinks he got it there even though everyone was masked. That seems soon to me??? They live 6 hours away so I’ve not been near them- Sis is a nurse for a gynecologist. Have a good weekend- poor DH. My dad was a car salesman and he hated missing work even though most of his customers were repeats.Dad didn’t retire until his early 70s and still worked a bit part time. Nan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 4th floor walk up, whew! Hopefully she's very organized for trips in and out of her appointment.

      Delete
  7. I will go even further with customers being rude to others providing any service. I am so tired of entitled people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people just expect the world to evolve around them. She has good customer service skills.

      Delete
  8. Slaps indeed to anyone kvetching using the word 'unacceptable"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For her $1.00 Coke and heart attack inducing $2.00 breakfast sandwich no less

      Delete
  9. Investing in yourself is always good. Hope your DH heals quickly.
    I don't want to rush the time away but it is nice having lower humidity and cooler temperatures. I'm holding my breath though because there is still plenty of time for the heat to return here.
    Enjoy your Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am positive for Covid so I am not reading, or doing anything except sleeping. Terrible sore throat. Not the weight loss plan I had envisioned! Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry Cindy. I hope you have a fast recovery.

      Delete
  11. Ouchy, hope your dh heals quickly.
    Sorry that your dd has to deal with cranky customers, but I'm glad that she is almost finished with that job. Hope she will have a wonderful time in Spain. Hope your training will be interesting and helpful.
    Dh has been burnt out at work, so asked for vacation time off in a few weeks. He hasn't given me any ideas for what he wants to do, so I haven't made any plans. I would like to get away for a few days at least.
    I haven't found any good movies/shows to watch lately. The Gray Man was a little disappointing, Sandman is just toooo strange for me, although dh likes it. I thought She Hulk was sort of cute and funny. Guess I'm not in the mood for anything too serious these days.
    Hope you have a fun weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems better today, but he'll need to rest tonight.

      Delete
  12. If I got any fast food within three minutes, I would be thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Since I strongly believe you always catch more flies with honey than vinegar I will never understand how people can treat others (waitresses, flight check in people) so badly! They are jobs I know I couldn't do so kudos to your daughter. And I hope your hub's ankle iimproves soon, although if he won't rest it ..... Men!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's at least learning how to deal with difficult people. He's quite stubborn.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.