Thursday, August 25, 2022

Thursday-Money Meh!

      I keep saying thrift is a great way to feel ok with splurges and treats from time to time. We've had splurges and treats this month, and will have more as we enter September. For that reason, I'm going to do a couple money challenges, but they won't be " no eating out" or "extreme grocery budget" challenge. I'll push any challenge out until after September 7th too. I'm going to have all three kids within 25 miles of me for the first time in 32 months for five days. It's possible it'll be another year or more before that happens again. I  will not worry about nickels and dimes over labor day weekend. 

     But even with a meh attitude towards money, I still don't want to waste, and I want to take advantage of opportunities to save or earn when presented. Here's a few of those.

  • Used misfit tomatoes and onions from my daughter's garden to make pasta sauce. Used a huge beef steak variety from her garden for grilled bacon and cheese with tomato sandwiches. The remnants we're tossed in masala. 
  • Used $20 Kohls cash towards basic towels. They'll ship to store near my daughter's work and she'll pick up if I'm not nearby, avoiding shipping costs. 
  •  

    Airfare was not cheap, but helped DS find the best flight option and price that allowed for a good travel schedule. 
  • Our KwikTrip was completely out of bananas so stopped on route to my daughter's at a different one. I hadn't had coffee and was pleased that I had reached free coffee status. They make a good cup! Get those loyalty cards. I get points for every stop and we use KwikTrip a lot for top offs. 
  • I gave my daughter my Menards receipt to add to hers for a 11% rebate. She'll need this and that household items like a rake, gardening tools, mulch, etc. and will put the voucher to good use. She'll get over $17 back after her essential buys of garden hose and dehumidifier.
  • We both found great prices on home cleaning basics at Menards, less than any other store, even before the 11% rebate. My daughter was awed by how much other than building, remodeling, and appliances the store carried, including a  grocery section. I found cargo shorts at a great price for DS for part of a Christmas present too. If Menards doesn't have it, you don't need it. 

  • Fetch receipts loaded; MS Rewards points earned. 
  • On two seperate stops by my daughter's, I bought  five, I pound bags of cheeses curds at $2.00 each at the cheese store ( what I call it). These had a short sell date, but I'll freeze. They might not taste as fresh eating plain, but for cooking, I'll gladly use at that price. Even store brand cheese is topping $4 per pound.  Two were plain, but also got a sour cream, a taco, and buffalo seasoned which will be great for chicken dishes. 
  • Starting to think about labor day weekend meals, so cooked up both black and pinto beans for tacos and fajitas. They taste so much better than canned and will help feed the masses.
     September has me thinking cooking budget challenges as new school year seems ripe for new learning. We'll keep tightening our belts this fall with perhaps an October challenge too, freeing up funds as the holidays approach. How about your thrifty wins? 


20 comments:

  1. When everyone is together is absolutely not the time to worry about savings.
    We had three years before our family was together and I did not worry about a cent we spent (and we spent a lot of cents!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not thinking a bit about money. I'm counting days until next Thursday.

      Delete
  2. Our thrifty thing this week has been buying a couple of Lidl Waste Not boxes and insulating the kitchen window with window film ready for the colder months. I'm currently cooking a chia seed and oat crumble made with plums and blackcurrants foraged from the garden, plus a Punjabi-style mushroom masala and a cauliflower Madras (using some of the contents of the veg box) which I'll freeze to take with us to next week's festival - hopefully. we'll be too busy with customers to have time to scratch cook anything!.
    On the subject of your daughter's garden - one of the best things I invested in was a garden shredder (Aldi occasionally have them in their middle aisle) - I shred our hedge trimmings, dry Autumn leaves and any small tree branches and make our own mulch. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard chia seeds exploded in price. Your Lidl boxes are so nice to have and get creative with. I love roasted vegetables so could make good use there.

      Delete
  3. No thrift victories here per se. We're trying to sell one house, rent another, and it's taking a good deal of my time. But, we're trying to stick close to the hearth as we settle in here. School starts September 1, with the flurry of activity that brings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a one house at a time person! I suppose though when we move it'll be similar, try to be completely moved before selling. School starting before labor day shortens the summer so can imagine the business.

      Delete
  4. Definitely no thrift victories here, as I am still trying to get some critical stuff accomplished such as title transfers, car registration, eye glasses, and essential items for the new car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the life admin post moving. Exhausting.

      Delete
  5. I am laughing as I say this--Miracle Whip. I got it bogo and MW is essential to my life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maximized my use of store coupons, cash back programs and credit card cash back rewards for everyday needs (groceries & pet supplies). Sold some items on eBay for some money earnings. Also, used Fetch for all receipts; hoping to redeem for an Amazon gift card soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You had a good thrift week. Saving money and getting money back is good result for effort.

      Delete
  7. Menards saw me through the dark days of lockdown. I'd get there about 5 minutes before officially opening, and they'd always let me in early and masks were required no exceptions. I'd get basic groceries plus they never ran out of toilet paper! Ok, I'm sounding like an ad! With family all together after so long I'd not worry about savings either. Just enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was funny seeing her face. I never go to Menards so no wonder she hasn't. It'll be on her rotation now. It's a budget free week ahead. I'm just not going to worry and treat us well. Ive got two birthdays and two Christmas gatherings to make up for from when he normally comes. Then it's my last week with the college kid too.

      Delete
  8. I’m so happy for you that you’ll get to have all your children around for Labor Day. I’d throw the budget right out the window for those five days lol. I haven’t spent much this week. Dish soap at Walmart. Dollar Tree for a card, super glue and a few snacks for work. Less than $20 at Big Lots on bleach, a cute short sleeve leopard print sweater, pumpkin hand soap (not that I’m ready for fall but way cheaper than Bath and Body Works), a few foodstuffs hubby picked out. I had a 15% birthday coupon and they suckered me in ;) I am doing a decluttering challenge, keeping track of what I let go in my notes app. I’m aiming for 465 things in 30 days. I’m on day 5 and 47 things so far. Most are small, but every little bit helps. Trying to recycle/donate/use up all that I can. I’m counting the free sample of detergent that I finally used, but not the bottle of my usual purex that I just finished, if that makes sense. JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need a purge challenge too. I'm always needing a purge challenge. I'm giddy at thinking about next weekend and all five of us together.

      Delete
  9. So happy you are getting time together as a family! We had a few small wins (sold some things on eBay, charged our electric car for free, etc) & one large win. I'm getting money back from my employer for a pay discrepancy. I can't say more, but ... it's a pretty significant amount, yet now all that I was originally owed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on winning the wage battle. My issue last spring wasn't really resolved to my thinking, I still think it was handled incorrectly but I wasn't going to win.

      Delete
  10. Lovely for you to have them all closer for a short while. My thrift victory was using free $$ from points saved at Coles to buy our groceries while we were away travelling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love easy to use reward points. I know it's data collection but have it. Find out I buy diced generic tomatoes and knock off Girl Scout cookies.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.