Sunday, September 18, 2022

Meals for a Week/ New Family Member

   


  Plan was made last week but it varied a lot. We didn't eat any suppers out or take out, but DH picked up BK on Thursday for us both, plus checked out a new submarine sandwich place.

  • Sunday: We had a late lunch for a family birthday, a few snacks later
  • Monday: Spaghetti and homemade sauce, garlic toast  *V, meatballs for DH
  • Tuesday: DH, take on Philly Cheese, using kat of ribs, other assorted leftovers 
  • Wednesday: lol mein
  • Thursday: last of the red bag chicken and leftover lol mein 
  • Friday: Homemade pizza ( odds and ends from refrigerator) 
  • Saturday: creamy chicken and mashed potatoes
     I'm not sure what the week will be like day to day. With our daughters new dog, a five month old rescue dog, she might need some help so I might work there to help her as needed to keep getting him acclimated when she needs to be gone longer than she's comfortable at first. He was puppy trained but new environment is going to be an adjustment. The crockpot will be used in full force, plus cook once eat twice plan. I've also shopped for my Dollar Tree Challenge so figuring out where to fit that. Here's a rough plan. Other than a few top off items, I can use food already here.

  • Sunday: Wing it. DH has food for lake, plus I'll be at my daughter's. We may make it to Veg Fest or not today due to puppy duties. I'm going to make up the quiche from last week as I have eggs to use up. I'll use for lunches this week. 
  • Monday: Stuffed peppers, chicken wings, sweet potato fries. It's a Monday night football Vikings game
  • Tuesday: Chicken tortellini soup, homemade bread or drop biscuits 
  • Wednesday: Goulash
  • Thursday: Petite filet steaks, salad, baked or roasted potatoes 
  • Friday: Another crockpot of soup, with grilled sandwiches 
  • Saturday: Probably meet friends out. If not, leftover night. 
     I may just cook up the DT challenge, estimate servings, and use for lunches. It's a very play it by ear week. I just want to be able to help my daughter and her fur pal get settled. She's been wanting a dog for so long and they seem to have found each other. We'll wait to get our pup connected, but in time, hers will likely spend her long work days she can't bring him to work because she's off site, with me as doggy daycare. Good practice for other life changes in the future. 

20 comments:

  1. It's so great that you'll be able to help her. I usually meal plan Friday-Friday. M made amazing kebabs & rice last night, and tonight is making a Philly cheesesteak like sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Likely a lot of help at first, but then they'll get into a routine. She has a flexible work environment, but in limits. Eventually she'll need to bring him to me on her king days she can't work remotely, but until that'll work, I'll go to hers. Ms meal sounds fabulous.

      Delete
  2. I'm cooking dinner tonight all on the grill. Steak, wings, loaded 'baked' potatoes and Texas toast. Then just add a sliced tomato to round it out. I am making a pumpkin pie today also because I've been craving one for a couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DH wasn't hungry. I have a little tummy thing going on, so plan is already changed. I made pasta sauce today with daughter tomatoes so now will make sure to include in revised plan.

      Delete
  3. I am meal planning on the fly. Saturday we had breaded butterfly shrimp, fries and coleslaw. Last night we had meat loaf, mashed potatoes, and salad. Tonight is a slow cooked pork with sauerkraut and apples, which I'll serve with mashed potatoes. I need to gather more apples from our farm house before the new tenant moves in on 10/1, so things like turnovers and pies will show up in the kitchen. (Not enough for applesauce.) That's as far as I've gotten. I had a request for, interestingly enough, taco soup. I think "Would-Be-College-Boy-Who-May-Just-Have-Found-His-Way" will grill steaks at some point this week. Based on the weekend's weather, I might also roast a whole chicken, and thus starts the next week...
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your on the fly is impressive. I need a good taco soup recipe. I'm glad your son likes to grill. Less for you to manage.

      Delete
  4. If anyone has a recipe for apple sauce they wouldn't mind sharing, much appreciate it. I love all the different dishes you all serve up on the other side of the pond! What do you put in your grilled sandwiches?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I make applesauce, I simply quarter my apples, cook them until soft, then put them through my Kitchenaid food and vegetable grinder attachment. (The peels, cores and seeds come out one side, the applesauce on another. https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71TVRf6-1GL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
      I put it in quart jars and process it in a pressure canner, but you can use a boiling water bath. Obviously, when I make applesauce, I make a huge batch, not just enough for one meal! I figure, though, it takes me as long to make a dozen quarts of applesauce with free apples from my trees which will last the whole years as it does to drive to town and buy one jar.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the apple sauce recipe, Meg. My grilled cheese is usually just cheddar, but if there's bacon or tomato I'll add. It's my new favorite sandwich when we go out for a simple meal.

      Delete
    3. Thank you Meg B. for the recipe. I'll let you know my success rate! Thanks Sam for the grilled cheese tip. I love mine with mushroom and a little Worcestershire sauce sprinkled on top (not sure whether it's available to you?), kind of like a Welsh Rarebit (you'd need to Google for proper recipe).

      Delete
    4. Oh yes, we have Worcestershire sauce here, but I never keep on hand. I e heard of Welsh Rarebit but will need to Google to be reminded what it is.

      Delete
  5. It’s great that you will be able to help your daughter with her new pup. Submarine sandwiches are so good, we need to have that here soon. Bailey has a book club meeting tonight, so I am on my own for dinner. Probably are something very simple. The rest of the week is u decided for right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're now winging it. Neither of us are very hungry. I did some prep today though.

      Delete
  6. Hello Sam,
    How are you doing? I just stumbled on your blog. Happy to see your little work. The menu is so fun, I've been quite lazy lately. I might steal a few ideas from you. A god always brings joy. I'd love to connect with you. Have a lovely day.

    Grace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by, Grace. My menu plans are more suggestions, but it helps to have something in writing when I just am not motivated to think.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. I think so. I've not made for a while. My goulash is nothing spectacular though but a step up from my mom's tomato juice cooked pasta and hamburger.

      Delete
  8. So glad you are available to help as needed with the new grandpup.
    I am going to be interested in how your DT challenge is going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's some curve balls with my schedule, but it's not forever. The DT challenge may be deferred, but I'll see how days go.

      Delete
  9. A grandpup sounds like fun - but a lot of work! I like your "rule of 3s" for adoption - that's such a good perspective! I was offered a lovely tortoiseshell cat yesterday via Teams from a coworker - he's a lovely affectionate boy (7 years old) but a bit traumatized from his previous home, where he was abused/neglected. I had to say no - it is just too much with Vizzini's health issues right now, but my heart went out to this poor kitty.

    Your plan of 10 minutes for self/meditation daily sounds awesome! Do it, Sam!

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.