Monday, September 19, 2022

Money Monday-Helping People W/O Agenda

   


       Part of my family's money management is planning for charitable giving. I hope, and pretty sure we know, we've instilled this priority with our kids too. It's necessary for me to remember that we have means that not for some luck and a few fortunate opportunities, life could have taken a challenging turn. We also had support in a few lean periods, maybe if not direct monetarily, but with child care, or shared labor, and the knowledge a safety net was there.  

     We've helped a few family and friends directly, but most giving is through our church and organizations that provide the direct services. Picking and choosing who is or is not a worthy recipient is not my place. I try to give to organizations that practice anti-bias service delivery. If I think the mission is worthy, works without prejudice, I don't care who the ultimate recipient might be and put trust with those doing the work. I try to be knowledgeable on details of organizations. I am ok with funding admin in nonprofit/ charities, to a point. I know there's a cost to keeping lights on and operation happening having been in those roles. With that though, I tend to give as local to the community as possible. More gets withered away the more removed from the community. That's why tools like the Charity Navigator,  might be hard to use as often the local organizations are too small to review. 

     Sadly, there's always people hurting financially, living with a host of insecurities from housing/ shelter, food, to access to appropriate clothing. It doesn't seem to matter who is in the House, Senate, or White House. In all honesty, I tend to vote for who I think will cause less pain to those most likely to feel the real impact as opposed to voting for someone's platform. I don't really vote with confidence in anyone at the national level. My confidence isn't much greater at the state. Who I do have confidence in is my family, friends, neighbors, and our community to intervene, politics aside, when people are in need. 

     

14 comments:

  1. While I do give to a few charities "overseas", I agree with you absolutely that locally is the place to give. You are more aware of what the needs are and if they are being met, I feel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both have purpose, though the big charities seem to have corporate sponsors. I hate the point of sale donation strategy though. The company gets the warm feels but customers pay the funds.

      Delete
  2. I like your way. It reminds me of a speech from The Lord of the Rings how the daily doings of charity around home is what keeps the darkness at bay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tolkien was wise. There's other snippets of wisdom in the realm too.

      Delete
  3. Those are excellent guidelines. I donate through the charities that my office supports (I'm on our committee to give back locally), which include Guide Dogs, Women In Need, and the local homeless shelters. On a personal level, I shop at charities (WIN) which gives back to them directly, as they are all volunteer-run. Like you, I want to give back at a direct local level. Good for you for instilling that in your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our work allows us to direct to where we want, so I'm fortunate that I can send locally. Good for you being on the committee.

      Delete
  4. We tithe at church which is 10% of our gross income, plus we have a monthly fast offering for the poor. Then on top we are helping support a missionary at 100 a month. But I can tell you I am blessed for all our efforts to be charitable. I am sure your kids are charitable as they will follow your example.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly am not sure what % we give, but I don't tithe to my church, though they get a not inconsequential offering. I like to spread elsewhere too. We all have our priority but it's the support of work that's good that's important.

      Delete
  5. My giving is so local that I actually give directly to the person I see. This is all because of a bad experience. I gave more than 10% in tithe for years. Then, I stopped and gave to people in front of me, people I saw who needed help. As time went on, I became the person who gives out telephone numbers to people who don't know where to turn for a variety of needs. My charitable giving dropped precipitously when I was going to school. I ask nothing, want nothing. I had and have no agenda. My children are generous to others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If your direct service fits needs, keep doing what you're called to do.

      Delete
  6. Most of our giving is through our church or their projects. In November our church has a World Hunger Offering where 100% of the money actually goes for food for those in need. (This is possible with missionaries already in place.) I love that 100% is given, so that's one of my favorite offerings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our church does the Souper Bowl, an extra pure food donation for hunger. It's always of course, Super Bowl Sunday.

      Delete
  7. We spread our donations among our church and several organizations both local and national. It works for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just think we all follow our own passions, and when going local, our community is helped. There's no one way to donate.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.