Thursday, September 1, 2022

Thrifty Thursday - I'll Think More Next Week

     


     Confession, this is a mostly prewritten post. Much of my blog was prewritten this week with just updates and glance before hitting publish as I am using my vacation week for harnessing chaos, and getting ready for the weekend. There was attention to money, but not really thrift. Things needed buying and I have memories to make. But, I'm trying not to waste either. Here's sort of where Thrifty happened. 

  • Used saved pasta sauce jars for refrigerator pickles. 
  • Ripped up old towel for swifter. Works so much better than the expensive disposable pads. I used strips for dusting high areas, wood, and tile floors. 
  • Brought the less than successful too much cummin chili to my daughter's. She's a bigger cummin fan, plus she can throw in a few of her fast ripening cherry tomatoes to dilute the spice.
  • I used a small portion of chili that didn't fit in the Gladware and turned into a chili cheese burrito for my Monday lunch.
  • Took cucumbers from my daughter for pickles and gyros. Also, a sweet and jalapeno pepper for black bean and corn salsa for weekend 
  • My daughter and I ate an early lunch before shopping for a few needs, sturdy shoes and well fitting bra's. I treated her to Boboa tea, but as I'm not a fan, I just popped into Walgreens for a $1.00 ginseng and honey green tea.  We did get a bite  at the Ikea restaurant because by the time we got through the upper level designed rooms, we were floundering. I got free coffee and we got 15% off our food through member card. We brought home the meatballs and a chicken strip we couldn't finish. 
  • She found an excellent priced suede loafer style tennis shoe, 75% off retail at Nordstroms Rack. They were exactly what she wanted even before seeing the price. 
  • Loaded Fetch receipts and played MS Rewards
     Next week at this time my youngest will likely be getting moved into her home for the next 15 weeks. My son will be back in his routine, and my older daughter back to getting her new routine established. She and I are going to work on some money challenges together. No doubt I'll be feeling work stress but I've still got several days before I need to think about that. Thrift and so many other things are next week's thoughts. Please share yours though to inspire me once I give a hoot again. 

12 comments:

  1. I love IKEA but I hate getting lost in there. Heck I could buy the whole store! That being said, it's almost worth a trip just for the cafeteria (the coffee and the meatballs, in particular, are fabulous)! Sorry, I'm out of inspiring thoughts at the moment. Enjoy your time with your kids and you can give a hoot next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have not been there for three years. It was fun seeing the apartment layouts ( meant to give ideas for small spaces) and my daughter saying she could live there.

      Delete
  2. I love the once I give a hoot again. That is exactly how I am feeling. You make me smile and that is so worth it right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a nice night. We had dinner, my son went with me to walk the dog. We played a little football on the PlayStation. Chatted and chatted!

      Delete
  3. I think it's the change of seasons isn't it. Maybe next week you will give a hoot... and if not then the next week :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll need to care eventually. Money doesn't grow in trees. Not this week though.

      Delete
  4. I use damp terry cloth or microfiber rags in my Swiffer to mop my floors. I spray my homemade floor solution (vinegar and water for my current floors which are oak) and then follow behind with the damp rag covered Swiffer. For a deep clean, I have a bucket of my desired solution, and wring the rag out periodically as I clean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a few microfiber cloths too. The towel strips seemed to work just as well. At least once a month I get the full bucket and mop but try ( operative word) to stay in top of things with the swifter system.

      Delete
  5. I have no inspiration to share because I currently do not give a hoot either.
    Don't worry about hooting' just concentrate on having fun with the family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is my plan completely. Had a really nice walk and chat with my son. The pup loves him.

      Delete
  6. I have never been to IKEA and do wonder if I could do the walk! Just enjoy the children all being home at once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not a very riding scooter accessible place. I don't think I've seen one ever. The good though is there's lots of seating to take rests as the top floor is showroom set ups. Not so much once you head down to collect home wares and flat pack. On cold cold days, it's packed with people just trying to get out.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.