Tuesday, November 22, 2022

Corny Week of Positively Tuesday

      It's positively Tuesday and my second and last work day if the week. That's cause for celebration. After Friday's post on Christmas cards and other prep, I was reminded of an old Everyone Loves Raymond episode about the Christmas letter. I want to find the whole episode but basically the mother feels inadequate about her family after reading all the success in a cousins, so sets out to write her own. No one's happy. This end scene cracks me up, as the family has moved on to just laugh about the letters received. 

 I loved that show. I felt I lived part of that show, but without humour. On to recap the good and positive things that went in throughout the week. 

Tuesday: I had a successful turn of leftovers into two meals. Avoiding waste makes me happy. I got a nice message from DD2 in Spain after she had called the day before with a venting rant. 

Wednesday: I thought I was on the mend and joined trivia. DD1 and a friend came too so we had a nice brain trust and finished first. Sadly, the cough picked up driving home. 

Thursday: work was tough because if the coughing and a series of IT projects landing upon each other taking hours of my day. DD1 spent the night because she was getting up early on Friday to pick up her grandma. We watched some TV together and took her dog for a walk. 

Friday: Poor DH had to drive unexpectedly to deal with the furnace at the lake. DD1 had picked up her dog for the weekend so pup and I had a night alone. Earlier I had a virtual doctor appointment and after getting my script, I ate a bit if dinner and he and I curled up and watched A Christmas Story Christmas, with Ralphie grown up and in charge of Christmas. It had some cute moments and was like a visit with an old friend from childhood. I also learned a family member dealing with addiction has self checked into a treatment program, so I am hopeful they'll get what they need. It's been very stressful. Rhitter, you deserve to be proud of your brother. Addiction is hard stuff. 

Saturday: DH got home exhausted and tried to sleep a bit before we went to his friends Celebration of Life gathering. Please keep him in your thoughts- it's been very hard on him. On top of the furnace, he twisted his ankle again, and was in a lot of pain. He wore the boot and used a crutch as a cane. After, I got take out and had a much needed relaxing night at home. 

Sunday: I left DH upstairs most of the morning to rest his ankle. My daughter met us to go to the 60th birthday;  she and I drive together and made an early departure. DH brought his mom and was home later, and again, we had a quiet night, him resting his ankle again, much needed. So here's a snarky simple pleasure or smile. I blog from my phone and my fat thumbs often miss the right number or letter. I realized I kept typing 69 instead of 60 for the birthday girl. She would not like that!

Monday: Work was a whirlwind! I'm trying to cram so much in two business days, but I can say I made progress. It warmed up so I could take dogs for better walks (grandpup stayed Sunday). DH says his ankle is better, but he's still pretty miserable. He won't be helping with any dog walking, but gives the best belly rubs. I laugh that the young dog just rolls over expecting the tummy rub. 

     I need life to get back in a pattern, but also am thankful for the short work week and extra days off. I'm just so off kilter these days. There's just little nibbling things, taken pieces of my calm, and I'm perpetually on edge it seems. Thinking about the good each day helps me see the positive things that are here, and realize I can get through the harder stuff. How are you all this week? What joys can you share?




23 comments:

  1. I had a tough week tbh. I just feel like I can’t get it all together. Everyone at work is getting sick, we had three call offs yesterday and one had to leave early to pick up a sick grandkid. I’m off today and feel guilty about it even though I can’t go into overtime anyway so my hands are tied. I thought I could at least sleep in today but DD had class canceled last minute (hard eye roll here and slaps to the university for having a stupid schedule leading up to Thanksgiving) so I’m picking her up at 10:00. I had lunch with my friends, caught up with another friend and her family, we reached a nice milestone at work that I kinda took a moment to reflect on and savor, saw two of my college co-workers home for break and enjoyed lots of snuggles with the bunny. But I’m exhausted and still have a long way to go this holiday season. JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't envy anyone in retail this weekend. Enjoy your daughter being home at least what you can.

      Delete
  2. That sketch about the Round Robin letters made me laugh. I had a few friends who sent those letters about their perfect family, perfect kids, and perfect lives and it just made me want to gag for the most part. I never could believe that their lives were that perfect, but then I guess it's like Facebook. I mean, who puts pictures of themselves on FB when they look like something the cat dragged in????? As for that cough, I hope your prescription manages to clear it up quickly. You and your DH seem to be going through the wars at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That show was so funny! I've done short age, work, email, phone updates but not the detailed play by play. My MIL does one but it's just a massive run in sentence!

      Delete
  3. Lol, we used to love Everybody Loves Raymond. I don't remember that episode though. I remember the days of sending out Christmas letters. I don't do it anymore, lol. Anyone that follows me on FB or my blog knows what's going on in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My life has myy changed too much. I drop a note in some with the cards.

      Delete
  4. We definitely don't send the letters. My family does get a giggle into some of them, although all well intentioned, I suppose. I really enjoyed a day without meetings yesterday, although I was surprised by how much only working out for a short bit impacted my mood. I know taking rest days is good for my body, but my mood really depends on the workout endorphins. I need to sub yoga in or something on rest days, and maybe a slow walk.

    Hope your cough feels better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to read them, and yes, some are cringey. I found when I wasn't doing the long dog walks, it changed my day too. Back to it now that he's healed.

      Delete
  5. I laughed about reading the Christmas letters. We no longer get them but we used to and everyone but me had perfect families and a perfect life. One year my sister and I wrote tongue in cheek truthful but funny ones to each other. We know where all the bodies are buried anyway, which made it even funnier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a couple times, but it was more age updates, contact updates, pretty full. I don't mind getting them.

      Delete
  6. This celebrating birthday all year would get old. I am astonished anyone would expect a year-long celebration. Maybe you have an allergy that makes you cough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Celebrating "her day" every month works for this lady. She loves being lavished with attention.

      Delete
  7. I loved that episode. I think that is one of the only times Debra and Marie teamed up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It got pretty catty for a while, but ended funny.

      Delete
  8. Your poor husband, sending him healing vibes and lots of love on having to say goodbye to his friend.
    I don't think that Xmas letter is a thing here - or, at least, I've never been the recipient of one - I think people know I'd bin it! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's been through the ringer this month. I hope his ankle rests over the long weekend here.

      Delete
  9. Days off sound exciting, I hope you have some good things planned. Megan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sleep! Time with family and friends, cleaning, decorating, maybe some lunches out. I'll probably do a bit of online shopping too.

      Delete
  10. I always liked getting Christmas letters bc it was usually the only time I would hear from long distance friends. I never wrote them bc my family resembles the Adam’s family with a bit of One Flew Over the CooCoo’s Nest thrown in! I mean, I cannot get my four kids in one room without major arguments breaking out, let alone the rest of the extended family. Anyhoo, hope you get to feeling better soon! Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind getting them too. It's a nice catch-up even though some are a bit over the top.

      Delete
  11. I'm off-kilter as well - work is so busy. Sending good vibes to your husband, so hard to lose a close friend. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheila. I hope he can rest up, remember his friend as he was in life.

      Delete
  12. I hope your cough is getting better, Sam. And I hope your dh’s ankle starts feeling better soon too. We watched and loved Everybody Loves Raymond. They have full episodes of it on Facebook. I hope you all have a blessed Thanksgiving. 😊

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.