Sunday, November 20, 2022

Meals and Such

      I feel like I'm turning a corner on this cough. Those gel pills are miracle workers. I'm kicking myself for waiting it out an extra week. Meals were pretty blah, but of course we did eat.

Sunday: Hot hoagie sandwiches 

Monday: Chicken tenders with broccoli rice and cheese

Tuesday: Chili macaroni 

Wednesday: petite filet steaks and baked potato 

Thursday: Frozen pizza and tator tots 

Friday: FFY, I had leftover pizza, DH grabbed something 

Saturday: Applebee's car side to go  

     I have a short shopping list, but in big quantities. Sweet potatoes, whole carrots, acorn squash, hash brown potatoes, cheese, and sour cream. I already have the ingredients for green bean casserole for Saturday. With the holiday week, I'm really not sure what the plan will be other than two days. We're not hosting plus we have a family gathering Saturday, so really just five days to think about. Here's options on hand without buying groceries beyond the ones above for my side dishes.  

  • Orange Chicken
  • Spaghetti and marinara
  • Risotto
  • Marinated chicken ranch sandwiches
  • Soup and sandwich night ( from freezer)
  • Whatever
  • Whatever
  • Whatever
   

      I'm really without ideas, but no doubt there will be meals. I need space for frozen hash browns and apple pie in my freezer plus I want to clean out the kitchen freezer completely to really clean and start fresh, so will only buy what we need for holiday gatherings and loss leaders. December will start with a semi stock up. I've decided I'll do a Turkey the day after Christmas- we all have the week off and if DS makes it here, he'll be happy. It's not part of either sides Christmas menu, and I miss getting the afters, so will want room when I find a good deal. 

     That's my thinking now, but who knows my mind in four weeks. How about you? If you're in the US, who's hosting and who's traveling? For others, what new things have you made to break up your menu go to's?



22 comments:

  1. We don't have Thanksgiving of course but I find I'm really enjoying soups lately. Split pea and ham was the latest and since I don't mind eating it for several days at a time it's a real God-send!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll be making a pasta fagiole at some point. My daughter will be here a lot this weekend plus DH likes it.

      Delete
  2. We’ll eat at my dads on Thanksgiving. I haven’t quite hammered out the details of when we’ll have our meal, with my crazy work schedule and taking DD back to campus but we’re used to chaos so it’ll happen at some point lol. Not sure about meals this week either. DH mentioned tacos/nachos tonight which I feel like we just had but it’s easy. Something with chicken tomorrow, McDonald’s I think on Tuesday, frozen pizza and salad Wednesday. I need to get butter and pick up a prescription and then I’m staying out of stores. Other than my own, of course ;) JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't need to be in stores now either. I will need a few things Saturday, but avoiding crazy.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad to hear your cough is breaking up finally.
    We're celebrating Thanksgiving here at our house. I have easy meals planned for Monday - Wednesday since I'll be doing prep throughout the first of the week.
    Have a wonderful Sunday Sam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thankful for those that host. It's a lot of work.

      Delete
  4. We don't travel for Thanksgiving (but do for Christmas). The kids only have two days off of school, and it's just not worth it.

    I made this recipe yesterday, and it was delicious. An idea for inspiration. (I used breast meat, instead of thighs, as it's all I had.)
    https://www.budgetbytes.com/easy-sesame-chicken/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that does sound good. It's hard to travel with just a long weekend.

      Delete
  5. We will be here. But, as I stated on my blog, we won't be having a Thanksgiving meal due to the fact many things taste off to me. I refuse to cook a meal knowing it will not be tasty to me, especially since Tommy said it does not matter to him. Invitations usually come, but I still have no desire to go anywhere and not wear a mask. After Dec 1, I will be done with the med, so we can both enjoy the meal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll be going to my daughter's for Thanksgiving, contributing rolls for the meal. The two oldest grandchildren will be with their dad, but I will be able to spend time with the two youngest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm supposed to go to my parents' house but found out this morning that my mom, niece and nephew are all sick with crud so who knows. If we go, I am making the mashed potatoes and the corn casserole. If we stay home, then I have a turkey breast, potatoes, green beans, here. I picked up a can of cranberry sauce and a thing of whipped cream just in case we are here.

    Glad to hear your cough is getting better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like you have a solid backup plan. I'd avoid illness too.

      Delete
  8. All our meals this week will be like your last three, Whatever. We have a heap in the freezer that needs to be cleared out, and a heap in the cupboards too. Meals won’t be pretty, and probably won’t match, but there is food enough to survive. I’ll finally get rid of those unloved single servings of lasagna, chicken curry and soups that have been floating around for months.
    I hope your husband is feeling better about losing his friend. Megan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just feels like too much work to over plan. There's enough to get a few decent meals on hand.

      Delete
  9. Glad you are better. I cooked and drove the meal to my youngest son’s house, as he is studying for finals in law school and will not be driving up for Thanksgiving. I cooked him both a turkey breast and legs, cornbread dressing, rolls, gravy, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole and a pea salad he and his sister like. He was delighted. My oldest son and middle son are supposed to come Wednesday, and ex was invited but he is sorta acting up so we will see how it goes. I will be again be cooking a whole Turkey, with long carrots, on Wednesday, and the previous mentioned sides will be made yet again, along with spinach dip, and sweet potatoes. Ex is supposed to bring a pumpkin pie bc he likes it. I guess I will make chocolate oatmeal peanut butter no bake cookies also, but it depends. I may say Hail Mary and go buy a cheesecake. Cooking Thanksgiving twice from scratch was not what I had planned… lol.Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have two mini cheesecake assortments plus an apple pie. Your son's are lucky to have you.

      Delete
  10. I love the whatever, whatever, whatever meals. There are weeks my whole plan should just be whatever!

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.