Saturday, November 12, 2022

My Week in W's- Home Bound Edition

      This head cold and cough stinks. I did putter a bit and got some cleaning done, but with copious amounts of rest breaks in between tasks. We got behind on laundry with me trying to keep the puppy on the main floor, not battling him trying to go up and down stairs, but he did well not trying to follow with my interesting barrier. I got the refrigerator cleaned out too, but that felt like a bigger lift than it should have. Here now it's Saturday and I very much appreciated the full day yesterday with no work calls or texts. Now it's time for my week in W's.

My make shift office and barrier set up.
Ignore the need to vacuum and any dust bunnies.

What's Top of Mind:

  My daughter is planning the last two+ weeks when her program ends. I'm keeping her top of mind that all works out for arrangements. She seems like she's gotten a bit more independent, but careful and more detailed since being away. Maybe that's mom brain hoping for the best. Still, I'm a bit anxious and will be until she's back in Minnesota in January. We got to let them grow up though, don't we. 

 Where I've been:
     I worked at my daughter's Monday but stayed put once I was home that night. I didn't get to the post office because I was coughing so much I wouldn't want to transfer anything to anyone. I'd have worn a mask, but delaying a day won't matter. I took a short walk with pup though. 
  
 Where I’m going: 
     I hope to run a few errands this weekend, but my daughter stayed and I could ask her help so I keep my cough in private. Nothing is pressing other than the post office. I'll play it by ear about church tomorrow. No movie theater outing as I had hoped. There's loads of free entertainment and maybe we'll do a game night. 

What I'm eating:
    We had pork loins this week and a big pot of chicken tortellini soup. I'll freeze a few lunch portions. We made hot hoagies last night. Tonight we may attempt bean burgers, and fries or roast potatoes. I'll do vegan chili too since DD is here, but probably with a grilled cheese for us dairy eaters. We got another 5# bag for just 99¢ so hard to pass them up. Kim, you were right how many things were uncovered when I cleaned out the refrigerator and freezer. I could put off shopping or just get loss leaders for a while. 

     My weight loss has stalled, but I haven't put any back on. I've lost 22 pounds from my highest weight when I declared, no more! Not walking the grandpup twice a day minimally hasn't been good for weight loss and trimming, but we'll be back at it next week. 

What I’m watching:
     I watched the Christmas 2021 Call the Midwife and the first show of the season. I didn't know a new season is streaming. I'm the only one that likes it here. Of course there will be football on the tube.

What I’m reading:

     I got a start yesterday on for Monday book club, The All Girls Filling Station Last Reunion. I'll finish over the next two days. That's how I read, all at once usually.  

What I’m listening to:

     My daughter got up with her dog and I heard her a bit. He's tired still but his tummy says 5:00 I eat! He goes back to kennel and usually sleeps another two hours. We'll be back to our normal rythm by Friday. She'll be heading to the gym soon. Not sure what we have planned today in full. Maybe more organizing and get her help with a few things when I feel bursts of energy. There's over ripe bananas so we'll bake a batch of muffins.

 What I’m planning:

     I've got lots in the planning process at work, but that's Monday's brain. I'm still thinking through how much decorating I will do for Christmas. I'll have my daughter help with outside lights, simple, with greenery, pinecones, and bows, plus wreaths. As for inside, who knows what effort it will be to keep puppy from things, though overall he's pretty good. I might keep the TV box handy that seems to work as a gate or at least a deterance to the living room. Then, maybe just the tree with lights and a few ornaments. I'll do my dining room table with the holiday placemats and centerpiece. That might be it. It'll be pretty, but subdued. I'll do the day after Thanksgiving I think. 

Who needs a good slap:

     I'm under the weather so I guess I'm not feeling slappy. I learned my old employer is doing the "f$&5_ing" with people's lives reorganizing again where they eliminate jobs, lay off people, then create new jobs to promote others. I shouldn't care because it's not my circus, but I worked for several years with the people who lost their jobs, and I feel bad for them. 

Who Deserves Knuck's (Fist Bump):   

    Our grants area held a much needed training that filled in a lot of holes that I was not getting answers too. I was able to immediately jump on actions to get the first steps started for my major program change that will happen next fiscal year but is months in the making. Just having some facts and deliberate actions took pounds of stress weight off my shoulders. 

What’s making me smile:

      My great niece did phenomenal at her state diving meet. I got to watch the live stream of the competition. I had wanted to go live but it was far enough away that an overnight would be required, plus with this head cold, it's good I didn't plan. 

     That's what I have this week. Quite dull really, but when your filled with a cough and head cold, there's not much excitement to share. So, I'd love to read your W's. Anything more exciting in your world?


17 comments:

  1. It's cold and snowing here this morning so I'm glad we had already planned to stay home this weekend.
    The corporation that I work for does that creative 'reconstructing' often also. It really pisses me off to see. I know exactly how they could save millions by reconstructing three top positions that are not necessary but no one wants to hear that. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't even get started on how absurd that organization is, but it's why I had to leave when I finally did. It was just gray yesterday all day, but no snow.

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry about your cold, I hope you start to feel better soon.
    After your soup posts my big news is that Jon made that vegan tortilla soup I mentioned and I think, down to you, that we've become coup converts, I shall share on my blog soon!
    In other news, I've binge watched an amazing BBC Western, The English, seen Living at the cinema, tackled the Autumn leaves, am crocheting something fabulous (I hope) and we're off on a cultural day out tomorrow. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Busy! I'd like to see Living after your review. I think it's just what I need to view. I look forward to reading about your soup success.

      Delete
  3. I first read that your niece was in a "stage diving" meet, and I thought, that can't be right. More coffee! Congrats to her.

    Work was just an epic sh*t show this week, and frustrating across numerous dimensions. Combined with layoffs in similar industries, adding lots of background stress, I've definitely had more fun.

    On the positive side, I planned our Thanksgiving menu, made a bit of progress on Christmas gifts, and got a chance to connect with a friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hold onto those positives. Why does work feel it should eat out peace away? I've no progress on Christmas but did get my son's early gift plus a Thanksgiving goodie posted

      Delete
  4. I walked an hour and apparently I looked at the forecast for South Alabama, not central Alabama… lol. I wore my jacket. In the 50’s here and a bit of drizzle but that is ok. I like cozy days where I can sit and read. I will probably start cooking the cornbread for cornbread dressing for Thanksgiving and freezing it. Other than hot dogs and hamburgers for kid with a side of sautéed spinach I am not planning anything. I will walk with our two elderly (13 yrs old) dogs. I am trying not to think about work as it was real unpleasant last week. Some weeks are better than others. Hope your cold continues to improve. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cold gets better until it doesn't, and coughing fits start again. I'm sorry your work is crappy right now too. I'm sending a theme amongst blog land

      Delete
  5. Have you tried Vicks Vaporub on your soles. That works for me. I don't know why. I take a single ingredient tablet with guaifenesin that knocks out congestion and cough. It is the ingredient in original mucinex but lots cheaper in generic.
    I love your dog barrier. I wonder how long it will take him to breach it.
    Slaps to the grocery store that did not have items on sale that were advertised!
    Being on her own has probably changed your daughter forever. It is amazing how kids start to take hold, some later than others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may need to try something different as the cough is not budging. I only want the best for my kids, and then to be safe while figuring out what that is.

      Delete
  6. It's just plain cold here today. But I'm inside with my warming blanket, and hot tea. Your former employees are just greedy and unethical. Yes, I just said that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just don't get the reorganization. It feels like if they need to reduce expenses, you don't then eliminate jobs and promote others and create more layers at the top. It's a non profit so really makes no sense. Stay warm and you're in my thoughts

      Delete
  7. It has turned cold here after rain from the hurricane moved through. I have my bedroom window open to exchange the air in that room. I’m sorry you are coughing and not feeling your best and hope you can get over it quickly. We do worry about our children no matter how old they are. I’m the same way here. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cough is not going quickly, so another lay low day. It was a nice day with my daughter though.

      Delete
  8. Hoping you feel better soon, head colds than linger are draining. You are a wonder woman for cleaning your fridge while under the weather, its only something I would attempt at peak physical fitness.
    I have a friend who keeps her dogs cordoned off by using socks....I have no idea how she trained them, but they will not pass rolled up pairs of socks. Megan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fridge desperately needed it and I did not have an excuse. The sick barrier is interesting and points for creativity.

      Delete
  9. I too have a cough that refuses to depart. I am turning to Christian Scientist.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.