Friday, November 11, 2022

Free For All Friday- Thank You Veterans

      November 11 is called a few different names for the holiday, Veterans Day, Remembrance Day, and Armistice Day, to think of a few. Regardless, it's honoring those that voluntarily or by draft, served their country. I appreciate those that do. Did it mean I automatically voted for a candidate this week, because they served? Absolutely not. While many that served could be good leaders, many were good followers, doing their duty with honor and diligence, but not poised to lead. I only bring this up because it came up in Facebook post that to not choose the candidate with a military background over a life long civilian was disrespectful and unpatriotic. I kid you not, that was an argument. 

     That's my first Friday Free for All mind wander. Each Friday I find myself writing about nothing in particular, nothing themed or ordered. I guess it's more a true blog day.

On Using Up What's Here 

     I have the day off and so do my colleagues so it's a real day off. I am focused on my kitchen. I need to go top to bottom, fridge to freezer, cleaning, discarding, and planning what needs cooking and to be used up this weekend. The fridge and freezer are a disaster. I know there's loads of meals without doing any grocery shopping. 

     Same intent with cleaning and other household supplies. I need to take control, know what's here and manage my supply. I've got a $500 plumbing bill from October and holidays to buy for. Now's not the time to forget what we already have and rebut, unless a fantastic price. Saturday, or if I find I have time and energy, I'll tackle the bathrooms with that same intent. 

Brrr it's Cold Again 

     I started yesterday almost too hot in a sweater getting the dogs out. By 4:00, it was howling and cold. 76 on Tuesday; 26 today. Those are high temperatures. That's ok as I've got the house to clean! Really, it's freaky weird to have these extremes. Then I think about my brother getting hammered again in Florida by Hurricane Nicole. Yes, I know there's other warm places to move besides Florida. I'm just thinking of him and that's where he lives. We have family in the Tampa-St Petersburg area too. That's what I can say about Florida. There'd be family. 

     Nope, I think we'll be travel birds, not true Minnesota snow birds with a winter spot or a full on relocation. After getting a couple days with my sister's, I'd hate to miss out by choice because I'm too far away. But man, this awful cold I already have with cough, sneezing, and congestion might clear up faster with some heat. 

Weekend Plans 

Other than said cleaning and trying to get over this cold, I've got a book to read by Monday night. I think it'll be a fast read. I bet DH will want to go out for dinner, but if I'm coughing the last thing I'll do is sit in a restaurant. Same goes for a movie theater. We had talked about going to the new Black Panther movie but I can't see that working. I must though get to the post office and mail the jersey. The Vikings play Thanksgiving night and if he's got a Friendsgiving gathering, he'll be in the football spirit.

Healing Puppy 

     We're day seven of trying to keep an energetic puppy in reduced activity. I know he's bored and wants a good long walk and play outside. He had a side effect yesterday, we think from the flea and tick medication. As my daughter and I thought about timing, it was similar last month the few days after his chewable. No details, but it was gross. Fortunately he let us know he was in distress and got him outside. I'm not going to order this, but this matt popped up in my Facebook feed. I thought it was funny and sort of sounds like what these guys might be thinking. 

     I say puppy but at weigh in last week, he was 38.8 pounds. But, when you sit in the floor to give him some love and attention, he thinks he's a petite lap dog. Pup has never been a cuddly dog. He'll lay next to you in the couch or bed, but isn't going to want to be held or cuddled. If grandpup could manage it, he'd crawl into your arms to be held. But, he doesn't really silly play. It's hard to know why pets are the way they are. Things happened in this guy's life for five months before we adopted him. I think of Vix and the various stray cats that visit regularly and occasionally for meals. Some have more trust than others. 

     If you have any stories to share that my Friday Free for All made you think of, please share. If you or members of your families served, thank you very much. 





     

21 comments:

  1. I wholeheartedly agree that just because a person is a veteran, that that person is best for a position.
    I read a book you would enjoy. I read it in two days, but I didn't have a job. A Dog's Purpose is wonderful and I don't want a dog and don't have one. Your dog sounds like a bundle of energy and love.
    I hope your sickness goes away soon so you can at least clean in peace. Unbelievably, I have been well for two weeks, but keep fighting off whatever is going around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you mean you agree that they're NOT automatically the best for any position? Yes, you've shared A Dog's Purpose before. I will look for it.

      Delete
    2. That someone is a veteran doesn’t by default make them the best (for that reason alone) for a position. It’s not even an accurate fact so a pretty lame argument or debate on Facebook 😆 some people are morons on Facebook. How could anyone agree with such a fallacy.

      Delete
    3. SAM,
      Of course, I left out a word. Just because a person is a vet does not automatically make that person the best candidate for a position. Sorry, I did not see this sooner.

      Delete
    4. There you go with Facebook and idiocy an patriotism being redefined. The argument makers were strident MAGA folks, which is beyond moronically ironic.

      Delete
  2. Hope you're feeling better soon. No fun being sick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Urgh, cleaning... wouldn’t it be great if you only had to do it once a year? But it’s a great feeling when everything is lovely, clean and fresh.
    One of my dogs has a tender tummy and I split her flea treatment into quarters and administer over four days. I’ve had no issue since I started doing this, although maybe a change of brand might work also. Megan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip on the flea meds. I'll have her ask the vet. She did say she was to note things post meds. I was a slow cleaner but got a few things done.

      Delete
  4. After we deal with the remnants of Nicole dropping a couple inches of rain here, the cold is right behind it. We do very much need the rain but I’m not looking forward to the blustery weekend. Travel birds has a nice sound to it! I don’t think your former occupation automatically qualifies you for anything. Animals definitely have personality, even my rabbits were very unique. One was sassy, one was a big baby, one was so pretty, but so dumb. She couldn’t drink from a bowl, she would stick her whole face in the water and almost drown herself. We had to get her a bottle ;) I have no plans to eat out or go out this weekend, just a boring work weekend. Hope you and puppy are feeling better soon! JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The impact of Nicole is all the way to you! Wow. I'll see how my coughing progresses. Last night was a tiny bit better.

      Delete
  5. Hope you feel better! On that FB comment...nope. Nope!

    It's been a really busy week at work (and, stressful to boot), plus school soccer tryouts, cold & rainy. I'm looking forward to the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't envy your business, but do miss the kids activities from time to time. Enjoy your weekend. I guess summer is over for sure.

      Delete
  6. I think people can find anything to argue about when it comes to politics, unfortunately.

    Ouch on the plumbing bill. Cleaning your kitchen will give you plenty to do while you’re at home. Bailey cleaned off the top of Mom’s china cabinet and found some childhood memories up there. They definitely needed dusting though.

    I hope you are feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good to have done what I did, but my house needs more work. Always more work. That's nice that Bailey found some things from her childhood.

      Delete
  7. You will be shocked at what you will find squirreled away in your cupboards. I found several things that I needed to use and put them on the counter to remind myself to use them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's plenty for sure. Yes, these need to be used now.

      Delete
  8. Hope you feel better soon! It was 85 degrees in South Alabama earlier this week, in the 70’s today in Central Alabama, and will be in the 50’s low 60’s for a high this weekend in central Alabama, and also for next week, so that is a good cool off. South Alabama will probably be in the 60’s I think, bc it is usually a good bit warmer than central Al in the winter, I have noticed….. Or at least it feels that way. I think PP and Anne are a little further north than me so probably they are a couple of degrees cooler. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like this hacking cough to go away! It's still so warm where you are. I wouldn't like the summers, but maybe I'd get used to them if it avoided snow and freezing for months. I don't know what we'll decide.

      Delete
  9. I'd never thought about the issue of some being born to lead and some being born to follow, irrespective of whether or not they were in the military. It's a good point! And as for "puppy", I've seen some wonderful pictures of whopping great dogs trying to sit on their owners' laps thinking they're just tiddly little things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those pictures are so cute! When this guy curls up, he looks smallish, but he's so long!

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.