Friday, January 13, 2023

Friday Free For All- Changes and More Changes

      Happy Friday and despite having vacation time, I need the weekend. I worked more hours than intended. I may be the  most hated figurehead within my working relations right now, but the new grant is launched. We had another anticipated change dropped, but the reality is still a bit of an exploding bomb. Oh how I wish I was closer to retiring and avoiding the stress of the next few years. With that, it's Friday Free for All, and I truly am just going to ramble. 

 Crap Weather Not Good For Dogs

     It was easier managing the puppy with several very short walks in the -15 weather than trying to take him for walks in this slick ice covered world we have. The beauty of last week's huge snow has been replaced by melt, refreeze, sleet and freeze, and just horrible driving and walking conditions. I hate using the ice melt, but it was the only way to get DD2's car loaded. We're supposed to get a thaw, and then I hope we get the driveway and roads clear, then a light snow to cover the icy ground. Even just trying to play with the dogs in the yard is treacherous. This was them the other day after being outside a bit. One would run, then crunch, break through the icy top layer and didn't like that a bit.

Random Bird Picture

I rarely have my phone on me when I go for walks with the dogs, but I figured if I slipped and needed emergency services, I better have it. This wasn't the beautiful one I originally saw perched in a tree, but after they flew, I saw this one. Against the cold frosty limbs, the birds are so pretty. 


Creative Cooking and Meals

     We've got odd bits of leftovers after the kids were here. Last night was the last of the wild rice soup with wraps stuffed with stuff and grilled. I had some mushrooms, different cheeses, olive tapenade, and bruschetta. Really yummy! I might have gotten a pretty penny if I ran a cafe. There's more of lots of little things, so I'll figure out what else. I'm going to start my pantry resolution and bake bread this weekend, something crusty to use up the tapenade and bruschetta, but maybe use dough to make a stuffed bread like a stromboli. That would be nice to eat while watching football, and I can slice and freeze pieces for lunches, reheated in the air fryer after thawing. 

     It's a catch-up work day. Many are taking today off to make it a four day weekend. I plan to watch a few movies or programs that highlight or honor the civil rights movement. I'll likely not go to anything in person on Monday. I saw a great commercial for Neutrogena. It had a wide range of people, ages, genders, race, and said "for people with skin". May we all live in peace and love, seeing our commonalities and longing for a world that repels hate. 





11 comments:

  1. I think you should consider getting some ice cleats for the winter walking. There are various styles and prices. We just have the ones that stretch on over the soles of our shoes and they weren't super expensive, I don't think (gift from MIL years ago) and they serve the purpose just fine. You will feel a lot more confident walking on these icy roads etc. Ranee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're on their way! I thought my boots were good enough, but I think we'll have a long winter if freeze, melt, freeze.

      Delete
  2. Love the idea of ice cleats, so you can get around more in the winter.

    We ate through our meals I prepped over the weekend (grilled burgers, chicken curry & tacos), & then had a Trader Joes frozen option last night. Tonight may be pizza. The boys are heading out skiing Saturday-Monday, so I'm going to deep clean the house, work out & meal prep. I'm pretty excited. Nick's room is an absolute pit, so maybe I'll scrape some of the laundry off of the floor in there, as well. ;-)

    Work is okay. We're recapping our 2022 results, and finalizing our performance process. I did get 80% of my annual bonus today, so that was a huge win & felt really nice to see it hit bank account.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my work frustration right now is that we can be used, stretched, pulled, blamed, and be expected to work above and beyond, but there's no bonus, no hope for increased compensation, at most a cost of living. For those circumstances, we shouldn't be expected to do work outside our paid time, yet to survive right now, I must. I'm happy for you. I think TJ has some good options for hectic nights.

      Delete
  3. "For people with skin", I love that! May we all live in peace and love, amen to that, sister!
    Your weather sounds brutal. Apparently we're in for snow next week, hopefully nothing like as heavy as yours.
    I love tapenade (lovely stirred in pasta) ! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son and I are the olive friends so I was surprised there was any tapenade left. The yard is super slick right now too. DH wears ice cleats at work in his lot.

      Delete
  4. I'd be curious to know what style of ice cleats people find work the best. Over the years the school has offered some for outdoor yard duty, but I never find that they work for me. Maybe I'm doing something wrong??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll let you you know. I just need enough to make sure I have traction. We'll see if these work. DH was doubtful if what I ordered as he has them at work and they're 5x more expensive.

      Delete
  5. I think it is important for anyone to have a phone when walking in ice or precarious surfaces. Lynda has had several bad falls and a tangle with 18-wheeler, landed in hospital several times with head trauma and refuses to take her phone down the steps and into the yard--bad decisions, I believe. I've finally convinced Tommy to carry his phone continuously.
    Those dogs know how cold it was and how to get warm. Sometimes, a furry tail and curling up seems like a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, going forward I will. It's normally my peaceful time when I go for walks so don't want interruptions, but I don't want to be stranded with an injury even more.

      Delete
  6. I had to look up 'ice cleats' Such things are not useful around my area.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.