Sunday, January 15, 2023

What's on the Menu?

      Sorry to have been cranky in my W's post yesterday. I feel much less "arghh" today. I'll get through the work frustration, always do. It's not a good way to approach each day just in count down mode, so I'm going to try and cultivate a more positive work attitude. Fake It if I can't Make It, so to say. 

 Meals and food and snacks make me happy. I like reading other people's ideas and recipes. Here's how we ate the past week. There was so much food in the house plus we ate out several times, so cooking was minimal after a big Sunday meal.

  • Sunday: Turkey dinner for lunch, happy hour later,  so rest of day was leftovers,  snacking, whatever
  • Monday: After a sushi lunch, another sort of smorgasbord of various leftovers was supper
  • Tuesday: DS and DD2 took their grandma out for lunch, so weren't that hungry. I made soup; people ate as they wanted, and they all had popcorn at movies with DH.
  • Wednesday: Last of turkey gravy with chunks of turkey, with ???? I was sad that my week with kids was done so probably ate the remaining Christmas treats right down to last krumkake crumb. 
  • Thursday: Last of wild rice soup, toastie dogs 
  • Friday: Homemade flatbread pizza
  • Saturday: We went out to eat with a free meal voucher from an error in our take out order last March, plus gift card. I have leftovers for lunch Monday. 
Here's options for this week. I'm trying to reduce a lot of the convenience stuff, and have meals fill in for lunches or a double dinner. Assume vegetables, fruit, or salad served with the main. There's a lot of comfort foods here, because it's January and I'm in need of comfort. 
  • Goulash
  • Sausage meatballs and au gratin potatoes
  • Cottage pie 
  • Turkey pot pie (pie crust- wish me luck)
  • Chili
  • Homemade chicken tenders with sweet potato fries
  • Tuna hotdish 
  • BLT sandwiches
     I wouldn't have needed groceries technically but DH and I stopped for a few basics and loss leaders. I baked homemade bread, both an Italian rustic version, and pumpkin bread. DH wants chicken wings today for the game, so I've got some marinating. I think goulash sounds good for tonight, but that could change by the time I decide to cook. 

     Funny story. I wanted to buy some Vicks Vapor rub, the wonder stuff everyone's been suggesting for everything from persistent cough and congestion, to raw and cracked skin. I thought DH was next to me as I looked up and down the aisle shelves talking out loud at what I could see, but not the right product. To my surprise when I looked up and turned my head, DH had receded in age by 20 years and grew a beard. A kind younger man laughed when I explained I obviously hadn't looked up to see my husband no longer there, and I don't normally talk to myself out loud in public. I was leaving the row when he called out "Mam, I found  it," and handed me  the box with the little jar in it. His kid looked at me like I was a loony old woman. I think DH left me in the aisle on purpose with my head down. He sure laughed at my embarrassment. Jokes on him though. I get myself in what normally would be embarrassing situations so frequently, I rarely get embarrassed anymore. 

      What's up in your kitchen?

     



22 comments:

  1. I love Vicks. It is the best medical invention after aspirin I guess. Today I had a small steak and leftover vegetables for lunch. Dinner will be a salad with shredded chicken. I will still have some leftover chicken and your pot pie sounds good. So, I will make a small pot pie for myself. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I smeared Vicks last night on my throat and knee. I slept well until 3:00, and didn't really feel congested.

      Delete
  2. That is a hilarious story about looking for the Vicks. Vicks really is a cure all. We use it all the time just like my grandmother did. Your meals all sound delicious. Enjoy your Sunday Sam!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'd just forgotten about it after the kids all grew up until blogger's mentioned it. I'll keep on hand now.

      Delete
  3. The Vicks story makes me smile. I think I’m past the age of embarrassment also. We’re all just doing the best we can ;) With DD back at school, DS not home until sometime Tuesday, and DH off tomorrow for work, I won’t be cooking for a few more days. I suppose Tuesday or Wednesday I’ll get back in the swing of things. I bought a few things yesterday and plan on staying out of stores for as long as possible. I’m trying to do a $0 spend this week, of course this will begin after we get Chinese at the outlets today lol. I may need gas later in the week but I’m hoping to hold off. I’ll make my moms tuna noodle casserole, a hamburger helper type of dish I made up with spinach, pasta and cheese. Maybe something with those lurking lasagna noodles on Thursday when I’m off and then I’ll readjust for the weekend. If I’m working and everyone else is off, then I pass the dinner baton to someone else. JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been wanting tuna hotdish so definitely one night. I just moved on when I do embarrassing.

      Delete
  4. Women of a certain age are rarely embarrass-able. 8-) Funny story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Vicks friend sounds like a nice guy.

    I made two kinds of soup & homemade bread yesterday. I'd recommend both soup recipes, if you like either. And of course, the frugal girl's homemade bread.

    https://www.budgetbytes.com/easy-rosemary-garlic-white-bean-soup/
    https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/219170/ham-and-split-pea-soup-recipe-a-great-soup/
    https://www.thefrugalgirl.com/wednesday-baking-cheap-cheap-breadfrench-bread/

    For the rest of the week, i"m thinking of chicken shawarma & chicken fajitas. Sam wants me to make cottage pie, but I haven't gotten far enough in my thinking to decide if I'm going to make that happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soup and bread are classics this month, right. Chili will be tonight. Daughter's bringing her dog to stay and I've not made for a while. It'll give me lunches too.

      Delete
  6. Haha! That's funny! I am the mad lady often found talking to myself as Jon's wandered off elsewhere.
    I've just walked into the kitchen and found a can of baked beans and two baking potatoes in the middle of the kitchen - it looks like that's what's happening for tea. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good when the food says cook me. Canned tomatoes were on sale so chili is calling me tonight. Plus, it can just go in crockpot.

      Delete
  7. What could have been an embarrassment, although I agree it takes a lot to embarrass me anymore, added a little comic relief for you and likely the man who found the Vicks for you, and a fun story to share. I find these stories fun to hear because there is just so much angst in the world, it's nice to hear something funny and cute. I'm a Viking jinx so I will keep to myself today and avoid watching, although my dad will possibly have the game on when I visit today. I'll try not to watch. Ranee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You didn't jinx the Vikes, their defense and I line did. Disappointing end, but there's next year. I too like to hear the funny anecdote. It cheers up the day to day crabby stories.

      Delete
  8. I just no longer feel like cooking. Last night was frozen pizza. We had leftover chicken pot pie one night last week, and I had leftover risotto another. Friday, a kid grilled burgers, (which he hand pressed wtih the beef I had in the refrigerator for meat loaf for last night) for him and DH. (The others weren't around.) Beyond that, I'm at a loss. to remember. Tonight , have planned baked stuffed pork chops. Meal planning isn't working for us this year, it seems. I do have lots of food in the freezer and pantry, so I CAN make anything at a moment's notice. I just haven't felt like cooking, and the family not like eating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I didn't cook much after the turkey dinner, I get you. I made curry for the kids Wednesday lunch and to send with DD2 back to school, and sent her with wild rice soup. I guess I did cook more. Meal options work better for me, but it is nice to not even decide a meal.

      Delete
  9. Yes, the sweet smell of Vicks!!

    Around my kitchen, I made a pot of chili for my lunch for the week. I had some grape tomatoes that were going bad, so I diced them up and used those as a base, along with some turkey meat that was at the edge of freezer burn. Add some black beans, onion, garlic, orange bell peppers, and my own chili powder mix...yum!!! For breakfast, I usually have toast, hard boiled eggs, and a green smoothie.

    I cook most nights, but I try to make just enough and no leftovers. Other than that, not much else in the kitchen area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter's coming for chili tonight, and they'll be done for lunches. I've gotten to liking it over rice. I haven't figured out just enough cooking.

      Delete
  10. Vicks vapor rub is a sacrament in the Lutheran Church. do not dare to question this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm breathing in as I type. I do remember Vicks smell in the church as a child.

      Delete
  11. That was a funny experience with that younger man!!!! Oh and I love Vicks too - I put it on the sole of my feet after a pedicure. It's supposed to work wonders but in any case I love the smell!

    ReplyDelete
  12. When I was in my 20s, at a church picnic, I took my husband's hand and sort of cuddled up next to him as I walked. Then, I looked at him and it was another guy. I was horrified. He laughed. My minister husband was indignant. I think that is the most I have embarrassed myself, not that there have not been other occasions.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.